3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommended Bino Harness?  (Read 422 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommended Bino Harness?
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to trad bowhunting and the tradgang forums. I was just wandering what y'all think is a good brand of bino harness for bowhunting? I have seen a couple models in some catalogs and stores.

I will be using the binos in Northern and Central California hopefully hunting turkey and wild pig in mixtures of pasture, brush, and mixed hardwood forest habitats.

Thanks for the help!
I tried a search on this topic before posting this question, but if there is any thread that already covers this please let me know.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommended Bino Harness?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Crooked Horn is one of the first and is a fairly standard design. It works well, but I personally prefer just a neck strap over my head and one shoulder so that that binos hang under my left arm (I am right-handed). Other people prefer a pouch style harness, either on the chest or on a belt, and others use a suspender-type attachment that connects the normal neck strap to the back of the wearer's pants belt. They all work well, but preferences differ.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the response!
Interesting, I had never heard of some of those bino-securing systems...So much to learn:)

I have tried the Crooked Horn brand harness, and was just looking at a cheap-looking one at a sporting goods store. I think I will stick with a known brand.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
If you do a search here on the website. The brothers of the bow i.e. the Wensels offer a monostrap that looks intriguing to try.

Offline jjsimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I've tried all the popular ones and they all seem very similar.I'm really fussy with some things and never found ones i was really happy with fir some reason or another. Them my wife got me some new glass at Bass pro and and their harness. I love it! for one it attaches with a strap just like the factory neck strap,then it has very sturdy clips so you can detach the glasses in a second if you need to. and to top it off they are ten dollars cheaper than the rest! check them out!

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I agree with amar, i dont care for the harness and just do as he said.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I bought one of the harnesses, since the PH I hunted with wore one and I figured he wore that thing all day every day and ought to know. Now I'm with amar911. Just a plain strap worn as he described. Out of the way, easy to raise up and nothing to unhook to take it off.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I have a piece of shock cord that goes around my back to keep the binos from moving. I use it in combination with the strap that comes with the binos. Works great and may have cost 2 bucks tops including the clips on both ends!

Offline Cruiser78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I didn't like the Crooked Horn a first. But now that I have used them for a season I'm really beginning to like them .
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Got mine at Wally World.  Dont remember the name but it has served me well for several years.

Its like the Crooked Horn.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I have a piece of shock cord that goes around my back to keep the binos from moving. I use it in combination with the strap that comes with the binos. Works great and may have cost 2 bucks tops including the clips on both ends!
What he said.  Black 1/8" stretch cord with a plastic hook on each end that loops over the rings on the stock bino strap.  Works great.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
The crooked horn saved my neck from that wicked strap.  Seriously.  I love it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I have the Mono Strap and it really works good.  The only problem with it is that I wear bibs sometimes and then I can't use it (one end of the strap attaches to your belt).  I like the way it snugs the binos up closer to your chin but you can still stretch the strap out to look through them.  Doesn't interfer with shooting either.  Great idea and good design.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I resisted the Crooked Horn type harness for many, many years.  I have a pile of other "better" ideas laying useless in my hunting gear room. I still keep looking for a better system for carrying hunting binos, especially when you are NOT hunting out of a tree stand, but I have not found it yet.  As much as I don't like it, those Crooked Horn harnesses work best in the field.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Someone had a open top bino pocket stitched into the front of the jacket/shirt, used the same material as the garment.  Used common neck strap and let binos ride in their chest pouch.  Does away with the behind the back strap.  Also takes the weight off the neck.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I agree with excelpoint, for full size binoculars and all day use the Badlands Bino Vault is the most comfortable and I have tried all the rest because of neck problems.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Pro Binocular Harness...sold at cabelas's $20

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
For spot and stalk in CA (and elsewhere) the crooked horn bounced like it was on a pogo stick with a jet pack.

Got the nimrod harness and love it.  The over shoulder straps are not elastic so they don't bounce.

Good luck!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 03:44:00 AM »
if you need to protect high end binos, or you hunt in harsh weather, the best i have found bar none is the Alaska Guide Creations pack.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©