3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permethrin users (tick repellant)  (Read 479 times)

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Permethrin users (tick repellant)
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I was in a local feed and seed store and was snooping around the chemicals looking for Permethrin in a more concentrated form- versus paying 5-6.00 a can for the .5% stuff.   found this stuff in a 10% solution that you can mix down in a spray bottle to a 1% solution to spray down your clothes, socks, hats, etc with.

just wondering if anyone had any input on it?

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permethrin users (tick repellant)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
That is exactly what I use, buy it at tractor supply, works great and that bottle will last for years. Chris

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Ditto
SL

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks L.R., ticks in my hunting area in Ohio are really starting to get bad.
Glenn

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
does the chemical smell go away when it dries? I tried to use a similar brand from a horse and cattle feed store, I diluted it down to 0.50% from 10% using distilled water. I could still smell it on my "test shirt" a few days later. I ended up using the 10% stuff for spraying arround my skinning rack after each kill

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I need to get me some of that.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I've never had an issue with the smell if diluted down. I spray my clothes and boots-set outside to dry.
SL

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
doesn't smell at all that I can tell. make 1 gallon at a time and spray away- I am using 1.28% or something like that- its just over double the concentration of what is in the spray cans.

Dont forget to spray your socks too!

L.R.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
For those who use it a lot how does it work in the rain.  If your clothes get wet do you get it on your skin?  Can it make you sick this way?  I have wanted to try it for eastern Washington where the ticks can be bad.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
RF,
I have wondered that for years and still don't have an answer, the Army uses it religiously, that's how I learned about it. When I was in Korea last year it was a requirement to turn in two uniforms to be treated.

I mix up the strongest solution on the instructions, completely soak my clothes, air dry them, then wash one time in scent free laundry detergent. I can't smell anything and when wearing my treated clothes I have yet to get ticks. I also blouse my boots and tuck in my undershirt. Chris

Offline Baswa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
Thanks  I think I will try this . Ticks are bad here in KY. Seed Ticks are as bad as I have ever seen them.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
swamprooter, whats the maximum solution on your instructions?  just curious!

L.R.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I told a big whopper, I don't even come close to the maximum, which is 6.7 fl ozs per gallon, 1 part concentrate to 19 parts water, which is listed for spraying severe insect infestations. I use what is listed for normal which is 1.3 ozs per gallon, or 1 part concentrate to 100 parts water.

I have a gallon sprayer and the permethrin bottle has a built in 1 oz measure, I guestimate the .3. Chris

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
There may be a good reason why the perithrin spray for human use is 0.5%. The 0.5% works even after 2 or 3 washing and drying cycles. I think I will look for a MSDS sheet for this..i have been using this stuff for 20 plus years..one side effect may be graying hair and increased body fat

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Oh my goodness my wifes been feeding me tick repellent!
Glenn

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I use 1-1.5 oz in a quart spray bottle. Fill with water.

Spray on exterior of clothing.

Sun dry.
No smell. Works great.

This stuff doesn't require a hazmat suit unless your allergic to chrysanthemums.

A 1% solution is used on kids with headlice. Called Nix.
A 5% cream for scabies mite also safe for kids

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Take this info for whatever you think it's worth. It comes from another hunting site.

"I called the manufacturer of Dur-Vet Permethrin 10 and spoke with there sales person.  He informed me that many agricultural products are oil based to aid sticking.  Use on clothing would result in stained clothing and long drying time and wasn't recommended.  Also some agricultural products also contain Piperonyl Butoxide(PBO) which is toxic. I then purchased DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon which claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing.  It is intended for use as a soak but I deluted it to .5% and use it as a spray like Sawyers.  It is $30 for 8 oz.  Mixed 20 to 1 it will make 168 oz of .5% spray or equal to 7 of the 24 oz bottles of Sawyers. Thats $30 vs $90."

I also use the same product with same mix and haven't had a tick or chigger since I started using it back in March.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Great info what a money saver

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I use a brand called "Exit X", I got it from Revival Pet Supply.(http://www.revivalanimal.com/Permethrin-10.html).

It is 10% and I cut it with water to 0.5% and add a splash of Primos Earth Scent Spray.I spray my clothes lightly the night before I wear them. They smell like fresh dirt and there is no staining.

I have not had a chigger or tick bite in years. It will even keep skeeters away.

Offline Rod in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
I also add some cedar oil that candlemakers use and it makes my clothes spell like cedar.  Don't know if it helps but the cedar smell conjures up some great memories of past hunting seasons.  
  If you spray down a leafy suit really well, hood and all, and then let it dry completely you can put your thermocell away. It works that well.   I do lay a square of cardboard over where my mouth would be on the hood.
    Been doing this for several years and I haven't noticed any side effects.  I put on and take off the leafy suit when I get to
and leave the stand.
Rod Martin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©