3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tuning your bow?  (Read 229 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
tuning your bow?
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
So I feel a bit cheated after buying my bow. The felt on the shelf came unglued and was making it dangerous to shoot. Im soon going to replace that but the man I bought my bow from didn't even mention tuning my bow! I let him know ahead of time that it was my first bow and I hadn't been shooting long at all. The guys has a bad rep around town from what I've heard but he was the only place with a recurve, but ill be ordering most of my equipment online from now on.

Rambling aside, im curious how to check what may need to be adjusted. Im thinking the only real adjustment could be the nock point. I haven't been able to shoot accurately consitently since the felt came off. It my just be in my head but I think I need to make adjustments as well.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Re: tuning your bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
You need to find some local, experienced, trad guys to help you through this. It will save you a LOT of headaches.

Bisch

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I suggest you find a knowledgable mentor... asap
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
If you don't know what you are doing, don't go and blame the seller or builder at this point.  Find someone to help you like the others have suggested. Nothing worse than going into something and expecting to figure it out all on your own.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Brace height and nock point need adjusting mainly sometimes tiller if possible with your bow.  

If you removed the felt with wear versus crappy product you may have nock height issue causing premature wear.  PM me which shop you bought it from.  Ive only been shooting 2 years trad and a lot of my learning had been from here and doing things trial and error.

Check the A&H Archery link and they have a great link to bow tuning that got me started.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TDINSKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Start your brace hieght around 71/2" or so from the bottom of the grip to string. If you wish to check your tiller measure from the strings to the riser/insert fade outs in the limbs, your upper limb should measure more than your lower limb. When you replace your felt make sure that the arrow can pivot above the low point of the grip and sight window in a striaght line. Nocking point would best be done by shooting the bow agian and adjusting for your style of shooting.
 Hope that can get you started

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Trad Archery for Bowhunters  

This will help some...until you can find someone that can give you some hands on help!  
Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by soopernate:
If you don't know what you are doing, don't go and blame the seller or builder at this point.  Find someone to help you like the others have suggested. Nothing worse than going into something and expecting to figure it out all on your own.
I wouldn't be casting blame if the bow wasn't brand new from the dealer. The felt started coming up after about 20-30 minutes of shooting.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Go to 3 Rivers Archery and buy a copy of "Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook" by TJ Conrads. Very useful info for beginning trad shooting. Then do your best to hook up with a mentor, Will really help get you started right. There are a bunch of Trad shooters in Michigan..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
The rug rest was falling off a brand new bear grizzly when I bought one 5 months ago. It wasnt 3 rivers fault as it was new in the box from bear. I just put it back on with some 3m double sided tape and went shooting.... "Shooting the Stickbow" from  3rivers will answer about any queastion you may have on bows,arrows and shooting. I've been doing this long time and the book still has info I use...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©