3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What was that old trick some bowyers used to make bows seem fast?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What was that old trick some bowyers used to make bows seem fast?
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that some bowyers used-to, or still do, make some adjustment to something - perhaps tiller - to make their bows shoot arrows high, and make the archer think he had a super-fast bow. Is that ringing any bells? The reason I ask is that, as a g...g...g...gap shooter, with one of my bows I am having to aim waaaaaaay down low underneath the target to get the arrow to hit it. This is at ten metres. I don't like it, as mostly all I have to do, with my combination of arrow length and physiology, is put the tip on or just under at that range. But not with this one bow. A metaphorical penny for your thoughts, then, gents? An instinctive shooter wouldn't have this problem, perhaps.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was that old trick some bowyers used to make bows seem fast?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
The only thing I can think of is they might shoot a light arrow. But I will be the first to admit I don't know everything.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm guessing you're using a 3 under grip, right? Are your arrows the same length for all of your bows? Is  the bow tuned, meaning the nock point isn't too low?

I can't think of why a tuned bow would hit higher at 10 meters than any other. I guess the tiller could be off.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
David M. Conroy

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Ben, I was having the same problem with a new riser I picked up on close-out. Found I was heeling the grip. Just had to make a adjustment.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Just Some Possible Options:

1…Raise nock pt

2…Shoot a longer arrow

3…  If using soft feather anchor, rotate cock feather Counter clockwise( ex…from 10:30 to 9:00)

4...Raise anchor

5… Shoot three under if shooting split.

6...If shooting 3 under, install one additional nock set positioned below the arrow nock sets. Instead of string walking there is a consistent offset.

**Combinations of the above options may be required. Option 6 should work on its own unless using a soft feather anchor.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Great question.  Several months ago, I picked up a short r/d longbow.  It shoots fast and quiet, but for the same site picture as my other bows, it shoots quite a bit high.  I have compared it to my other bows, and my hand is just as close to the arrow/shelf as in the other bows.  I am stumped, because I really like the way it shoots, but don't want to shoot this bow exclusively to get good with it.  I'll be looking forward to the responses.

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I have run into this situation before and everyone that shot the bow got the same results.  Never did figure out why.  It was a friends bow, so all that I had to do was give it back to him.........he sold it.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
When shooting through a chrono, anything that makes the arrow go through the gates other than straight will throw off the speed reading.  So yeah, forcing the arrow to fly nock high could very well throw off the readings consistently high.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Measure the width between the end of riser/Start limb low and string and do the same at top.
Maybe the tillering is off limits?

And of course check nocking point maybe the arrow is hitting something on its way of the shelf?
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
The stronger the bottom limb, the higher the bow will shoot. I had a friend that thought if a little positive tiller was good, a lot would be better.  It shot very high which makes you think it is faster because your point on is higher.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
A higher shelf then your used to will cause shots to go high.A local guy builds some really awfull long bows with really high shelves.Alot of guy's cant belive how fast they are.They arent.LOL
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I bought a used recurve once from a fellow sight unseen. said he liked long bows better.  When I got the bow, a take-down, and strung it up as marked, shot really high, measured the tiller, way out of wack, swapped the limbs around and it shot great.  The limbs were marked wrong from the factory ( builder). I guess the fellow that orginally bought the bow couldn't figure this out and just sold it.  I would check your tiller as stated above.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I believe that is has to do with the shelf in relationship to the actual dead center of the bow.  Lowering the grip area in relation to where the arrow sits (shelf) and the actual center of the bow will change the impact point of the arrow. It could be a tiller issue.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Check your shaft in the shaftmond area, just ahead of the fletching. If it's hitting or rubbing on the shelf, marks will show on the shaft. If so the arrow may be rebounding high.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Could the bow, in fact, be fast? If not I would have to go with R. W. and a bad tiller :-/

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
My wife's Darton when shooting off the shelf shoots higher no matter what I can do with it's tuning. I put on a feather rest and raised the nocking point and and then it shot the same place as her Redwing Hunter with the same point on distance.  I think in our case it is a limb timing issue.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Im betting its the way you grip this bow compared to your others or the way the grip fits your hand and your pressure point is lower causing you to shoot higher .
" Live long and prosper "

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all these responses, Gents! I don't think it is the way I'm gripping it, as I have another bow with an identical grip and shelf height. I do indeed shoot three-under, and I think the nock height is fine. The string is a bit tight, though, for the nocks. I will try changing the string. I will also experiment with nock height, even though it looks good to me. How would I measure the tiller?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Oh, I just re-read and see that Margly wrote how to measure tiller. Also, I do shoot the same length of arrow for all my bows.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©