3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS let me down?  (Read 301 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS let me down?
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
When I shot my Elk last week in UT I found it right away and GPS marked it. I went back with help an hour later in the dark figuring it would be a piece of cake. Not so, she was found by flashlight, the GPS turned out to only confuse the issue.
Maybe I screwed up-anybody else have a similar experience?

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS let me down?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Have you practice using the Go To function on your unit? did you change the coordinate system.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
User error.  You can make it track you and you could have followed your steps right back to it.  Still shouldn't have been too hard with it marked.  I'd get out and play with it, they aren't that complicated.  Sounds like you didn't become acquainted with it beforehand.

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
No disrespect meant, I just read my post again and words on a screen can appear harsh.  Not meant that way.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks.....that is kinda what I figured. In the dark I was using the GPS as the guide but it let me walk by the carcass twice.
I will practice-and AMB that was not harsh at all thanks.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Hello Bjorn Congrats on the elk again.
If i remember right you got the 60csx, that thing should take you right back step by step. I use mine all the time even if i know i dont need to just to stay in pratice, some times these things just have way to meny features. I will mark my truck and then have it track where ever i go and i can walk right back step for step if i need to or make a big circle and it will drop me right at my truck door. No problems with it yet. I allways use it in track mode and if i want to get back to somthing, say my pack if i drop it for a stalk, I mark that spot and go.

The only time i had a problem finding my pack is the GPS told me i was at my pack and it was no where to be seen i finely found it on the back side of the tree i was leaning against,   :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I've got a 60csx and it fouled up once in Fl. swamps. I was headed back to where I left my bike and luckily I knew it was telling me to go the wrong direction and ignored it. Walked right to my bike. I'm not sure what happened...might have been low batteries or needed recalculating compass. I now always recalculate compass and check it on a known go to before I go out.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Bjorn,

I have had similar problems.  Not sure what causes it to glitch out but they do once in awhile.  One thing I have gotten into the habit of is to check it with my hand held compass.  It seems I have to recalibrate "North" on it every other day.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
While up in Maine during the last week of August while bush-wacking 3 of us who use Garmin60csx noticed some strange behavior on all three units. There were wide swings in accuracy going from =-15feet to as much as 50.  While marking waypoints we all started using the averaging function.

Anytime you change batteries make sure to recalibrate your compass.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
You probably already know this, but don't rely solely on something electronic to guide you anywhere.  They can be great supplemental tools, but shouldn't take place of tried and true methods.

I have a friend that relies on his way too much. So much so, that he has gotten into a bad habit of rushing to the places he wants to go. He doesn't stop, assess his surroundings, find landmarks, etc. We hunt in some very confusing country, with every drainage looking the same at first glance.  I'm really concerned that he is going to get turned around in there at some point.

I do have one, but got it basically as a novelty. It is neat to see the path I've taken, and the elevations I've climbed, but honestly, I've gotten along fine without one for a long time.

One really useful benefit, though, is being able to share coordinates with someone. I had another buddy send me the coordinates of a huge hog wallow.  He was scouting and got a picture of a monster wild boar. He said that spot was torn up with sign and every tree had a rub mark 3 feet high.  I'll be making a trip down there this fall.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Hi Bjorn,

Perhaps when you marked the waypoint of your elks location, the gps may not have had a strong signal. Sometimes in heavy timber, especially early season with heavy foliage, the gps may not lock on enough satellites to give you a close margin of error. That could have caused the problem you experienced.

At any rate, I would contact Garmin to speak to their technical experts.

Good luck and congrats on your elk!

Dennis

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Bjorn, how far did you miss it by?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SwampWarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Remember that the government does adjust the accuracy, if you see wide accuracy ranges it's not the units fault. The government does not want civillians to be able to mark things down to less than ten feet due to security issues. Plus nothing ever looks the same in the dark.
60" Moab 55@28"

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I've seen them do some strange things. A buddy and I have identical garmins, we stood side by side and hit our cabin waypoint . Mine pointed correctly his was way off. When we got to the cabin, his said it was way furthur. He had to call Garmin and get it straightened out. This is only one example. They're great but I don't put all my faith in them.
Jim

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
"Remember that the government does adjust the accuracy, if you see wide accuracy ranges it's not the units fault. The government does not want civillians to be able to mark things down to less than ten feet due to security issues. Plus nothing ever looks the same in the dark."

Its called Selective Availability and SA has been turned off for about 12 years.

I suspect you didn't have a lock; without a minimum of four satellites you ain't got squat BUT you may have been able to mark a waypoint.

Offline Chuck Wyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Bjorn,

I would suspect that the electronic compass was out of calibration. I've seen my 60csx giving false directions up to 90 degrees after a battery change if I didn't recalibrate.  
I personally turn that function off (press and hold PAGE button to enable of disable) because I don't like electronic compasses. (I do like real ones)

BTW, all the electronic compass does is allow you get a bearing while standing still.  With  the E-compass disabled the GPS's compass page will still guide you to a waypoint, you just have to move to get accurate directions.

When you get a chance some day turn the unit on.  Let it get a good lock, set a waypoint, walk away a good distance.  Disable the E-compass (press and hold PAGE button) Now find the waypoint and go to it. Page untill you see the compass page.  Start walking in a straight line in any direction.  The compass needle will correct and guide you to the waypoint.

BTW, to the rest of you who own the 60csx, here is a a great info page to learn about these units.
 http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -Mark Twain

Offline Neon Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Disable the WAAS setting and use the regular GPS setting. WAAS is hard to pick up at times. I was having trouble with my Garmin Vista and this solved all my issues.
Mark

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Alright! Some really good advice-Thanks!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Had a little of this Elk season also.  It was very dark and very thick and I think I just wasn't moving fast enough to get a consistent read.  It got me there but like you I walked past it and had to back track which my brain did not want to do.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©