3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acorn crop  (Read 500 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Acorn crop
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
I was out landscaping and had noticed that this year has a great acorn crop. A ton of large Acorns have dropped due to the lovely hurricane that just came through. How is the Acorn crop in your neck of the woods.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acorn crop
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
The state of Texas has been in a severe drought for almost a year and the acorn crop where I live is not very good.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Our acorns up here are less than the last 3 years but for me when the "deer crack" falls you can forget about acorns. They cant get enough beech nuts and will feed all day long.Im psyched for this season.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
same here Izzy, no acorns but the mother load of beech!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I must've checked around 75 different oak trees on 3 different ridges last saturday. Didn't find a single acorn.   :banghead:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
SW Wisconsin, we look ok, average crop but they are small.  Lots of red acorns falling now or being cut out of trees by squirrels ... kinda early.  Much fewer white acorns (of course) but they look much better developed.

That drought in Texas sounds absoulutely terrible!  I was talking to another fellow from down there and he said the bone dry drought is extremely severe.  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
We had the most acorns I'd ever seen last year but hardly any this year.

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Tons of white oak acorns in the woods here this year.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Looks like a good crop in my part of Alabama.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Seem to be about average in my area.  We had good rain in August.   :thumbsup:

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
We have no acorns here in Western Arkansas. The deer are going to be hungry.

I can't use my corn right now until I take care of a bear though. I can't have another feeder ripped apart.

I think the deer here are going to have a tough Winter.  I only have four bags of corn, so it will have to work for all of them.

I hope they can find something to eat .There is some clover in our fields but it's just the normal species here.

The drought this Summer has killed my food plots and stunted the oak trees. About the only nuts I have seen on the ground around here are black walnut.  It was between 100-110 for a couple of weeks, with no rain for months,  and it dried everything up. The eastern part of the state and the southeast part of the state still had a little rain. We really got nothing.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
We don't have beechnuts here and this year, because of the drought, don't have any acorns either!

Bisch

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob B.:
That drought in Texas sounds absoulutely terrible!  I was talking to another fellow from down there and he said the bone dry drought is extremely severe.  

Bob.
He was right! Now, because of the drought, a good part of the state is burning. There has been about 700 homes lost due to the wildfires in the last 4 days within 75 miles of my house!

Bisch

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
I haven't seen any acorns on the post oaks that are near my house.

As for the wildfires, I've got one behind and to the northwest of my home that's probably no more than a 1 1/2 miles from me. As long as the wind stays northeast, I'll be okay since it moves the wildfire away from my home.

But, if it shifts direction and comes in from the northwest, then my home will be at risk.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Here in Bonnerdale Arkansas it is very dry,my pasture is brown ,have to hustle to find hay for horses,need rain bad,maybe things will get better..no acorns at all on farm..

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I see a good amount here in north Alabama. I will add that the best acorn crop I ever saw was in Ohio a few years ago and it was the driest summer on record. That makes no sense to me, no rain and an unbelievable amount of acorns. I wonder if there is any relationship between amount or rain and acorns. I think it might have more to do with the date of the last frost. A very hard freeze late in the year may kill a lot of buds.
John

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cherokee Scout:
I see a good amount here in north Alabama. I will add that the best acorn crop I ever saw was in Ohio a few years ago and it was the driest summer on record. That makes no sense to me, no rain and an unbelievable amount of acorns. I wonder if there is any relationship between amount or rain and acorns. I think it might have more to do with the date of the last frost. A very hard freeze late in the year may kill a lot of buds.
Well, it doesn't work that way here in Arkansas. Drought = no acorns and dying trees. "Dry" and "Drought" are two different things.

We've had weeks of weather over 100 degrees and no rain for months at a time. It's not good.

We barely had any hay to cut in our fields.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
For my fellow Trad gangers in Texas I prayed for yall some rain.South Ms. seems to have ample Water oak acorns but I have yet to check out my favorite stand of White oaks.Our early season was very dry and my concern was it would have an adverse effect on acorn developement.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Awful dry here in South Ga. as well. Not as bad as you Texas fellas. I`ll be praying for ya`ll and your homes.
  An older feller I worked with once that was raised on the swamp told me that on wet years the trees use the water for growth on dry years it goes in survival mode and throws lots of acorns.Of course in extreme dry it can`t produce any or grow.RC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Trees do produce fruit (acorns, pine cones, whatever) in response to stress. For instance, a pine tree that is covered up in pine cones is hurting, and may die within a couple of years. Nature's way of making sure the species survives if the individual doesn't.

I always figured that oaks have deep enough roots to survive drought, but the shape TX is in right now, I'm not so sure.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©