3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Took off 2nd serving and bow went nuts!!! help!  (Read 457 times)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Took off 2nd serving and bow went nuts!!! help!
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I have a skinny string -- 10 or 12 strand (can't remember) and it had the standard serving then a shorter second serving on it.  But that made it just a bit too fat for good nock fit, so I cut it off and the tune of the bow went haywire!!!!  The arrows are flying HORRIBLE and shot placement is way off!!!!  How could removing a secondary serving screw up the tune that much????  Any ideas?
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Took off 2nd serving and bow went nuts!!! help!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
did you recheck your brace height
im thinkin that maybe  removing the second serving has allowed the string to stretch
just my .02$
kevin

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
How do your nocks fit now? Do you have two string nocks? I'm betting your previous tune was with a more stable launch of the arrow with the tighter nock fit. Now with wiggle room it's showing the imperfections of letting the arrow loose.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
we aren't talking a slight variation in tune -- I'm talking it went from shooting as good as I can possibly tune one in terms of visual arrow flight, to whipping 6 - 8" on the back end and hitting over a foot high!  Drastic difference, so much in fact that I thought my limb must have fractured on the first shot!  

The nocks do have some play, but do snap on.  I shoot 3 under also.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Double nock? And did you get the right nock height adjustment back? Something sounds off like you said. Is it possible your release was affected?

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I can't see how my release would have changed.  I'm kind of at a loss on this one -- I could understand a minor change due to stretch, etc.  I'm going to spend some time with it tomorrow -- maybe it is just that finnicky of a bow and I just had always lived in the "sweet spot" on it.  Too much tinkering gets me every time!!!!

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I say it's a noc fit issue, multiply that with the string noc being out of place a bit and she will be wild as a bull. I would also think this means your arrows are not spined correctly. The limb sound was probably a nock smacking off the riser not the limb. Heck maybe I'm wrong and you were having a bad release day or form problem. Hope you get it figured out, I've been down that road and it will make you pull your hair out.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Not your release, but what the change has had as an affect on your release.

Were both layers of serving the same material?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
The variables are nock fit, nock height, and brace height.  Everything else is noise. Deal with each, one at a time, beginning with brace height. I suspect your nock height is low. Good luck!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Sounds like your mocks are now a sloppy fit.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
The variables are nock fit, nock height, and brace height.  Everything else is noise. Deal with each, one at a time, beginning with brace height. I suspect your nock height is low. Good luck!
Ditto
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
I've had the exact problem before. I'd say your arrow is sliding down the string on release.  Add a nock below your arrow. Just  use a piece of dental floss. To fix your nocks,  you can soak them in some hot water for a few seconds and then pinch them on your string, or, you can wrap some dental floss in between the nock points.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Second, what Bjorn said:    
The variables are nock fit, nock height, and brace height. Everything else is noise. Deal with each, one at a time, beginning with brace height. I suspect your nock height is low. Good luck!

I would add Nock fit, snap on and off easily. Light strings can stretch, watch for a broken strand under the serving.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
I'm going with what Bud said. Really the only thing that's changed from what I'm reading...Art

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
here's a thought: the skinny strings are used typically b/c they are lighter - leads to faster string. Removing 1/2 of the servig = removing a significant amount of weight. This could result in the string traveling much faster upon release. IF this has happened, then retuning based on this new string speed is almost unavoidable. I understand you say it went entirely crazy and this may seem too easy - however, i wouldn't guess the string w/o the extra serving wt would tune exactly the same (mainly bh) as the string with the serving. hope you get it worked out.
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
From my experience, just doing what he did, won't cause erratic flight.  It might make his arrows act weaker, but it won't be cause for a nock height adjustment. I still say that his arrows are sliding down the string upon release. Tighter nock fit will help, but a double nock set is the answer.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
My brace height and nock point are now the exact same as before...the nocks are carbon express snap-on style.  They are not loose enough to fall off the string, before they were so tight that if I didn't shoot the arrow, you could not pull it off the string without it pulling the nock out of the arrow.  It's now shooting a solid 15" high, and wildly tail whipping in what seems like all directions.  

In terms of arrow tune, I had worked very hard to tune arrows to this bow.  I'm confused how removing a partial serving could totally change the bow to something unshootable at the moment.  

One of these days I'll learn "if it ain't broke -- stop tinkering!!!!!!"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Well, if you tuned to a nock that tight, then your tune is definitely off now.  Basically, you tuned to accept a problem, then removed the problem.

You're definitely going to have to retune.  An arrow nock should never be that tight.  That's a good way to split a nock and dry fire.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
J:

Several of the posters have asked if you have a second nock point tied in below your arrow nock and I have not seen you reply to this...

Do you have a second nock tied in place?
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
You could put the serving back on, and adjust your nocks.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©