3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison, RER, or Blacktail recurve?  (Read 838 times)

Offline Timbuk2

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison, RER, or Blacktail recurve?
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
I'm going to be ordering a recurve bow in the next two to four weeks.  At this point, I'm thinking about going with either a Morrison, RER, or Blacktail bow.  I'd like to hear opinions from folks who have had a chance to try two or more of these bows out.  I tried a Blacktail years ago but I've never hat a chance to try the others.  What other bows are in the same class as these three?

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison, RER, or Blacktail recurve?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Well I have shot a Morrison and I have shot lots of RER bows(still do). Of the two I prefer the RER's. That being said ...What works for me might not work for you. I would suggest you shoot them first if possible then make your decision. don't think you would be at all disappointed in the RER. Great bows and not as big on the price tag unless you want them to be.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Others would be Robertson Falcon, Silvertip, Black Widow, Border to name a few. Out of the ones you mentioned I have only shot the Blacktail and Morrison and they are both excellent. I shoot the forward handle design risers better so my pick would be either a Morrison or the Robertson. I would love to own a Silvertip and probably will one of these days - also an excellent bow and very easy to shoot well for me. You really need to shoot the bows you are interested in before laying out the cash to make sure it fits you and your shooting style especially since the bows you listed have such different designs. Good luck with your decision!
Regards, Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
I have a Morrison and a Blacktail. I love them both. You would not go wrong with either. I have never shot an RER.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
All three are great bows: I prefer the Morrison but I'm biased  :D  

Whatever you choose, be sure to spend some time shooting it before you plunk down your cash. As already said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them but you will probably shoot one of them better than the others.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I prefer the Morrison but along with everyone else all your choices are great bows and bowyers. I would try to see if they have test drive bows or see if anyone in your area has one you can shoot.

Offline Timbuk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm not sure where I'll be able to find a Morrison or RER to try out.  The Footed Shaft is the closest traditional shop to me and they have lots of used bows.  I'll have to keep an eye on their used bows list and make the 2+ hour drive when they have a Morrison and/or RER.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Trad shoots are great places to get a sampling of different bows. I still ask to shoot any bow I've not shot yet when I see one at a shoot. Most times, folks are more than happy to have you shoot their bow and tell you their experiences with it.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Shot all and can say the the morrison an the RER are faster then the Blacktail I shot. But that being said speed is not everything. Norm makes the best looking bows out there and are smooth and silk in IMHO. Bob makes a super looking bow with the beat snakeskin job going and are smooth and fast. You can spend more money and not get a better shooting bow then RER they have a great finish and are smooth quiet and fast. Best thing you can do is shoot all three and then decide.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
I have owned a Morrison and an RER (briefly), and have shot one Blacktail.  All are good bows, backed by good people.  The Morrison and RER just weren't quite right for me, doesn't mean they won't be perfect for you.  I shoot Wes Wallace and Robertsons the best of any I have tried.  If it were me, and I could stand the wait, I'd order the Blacktail.  It's the closest of those three to a Wes Wallace, which I prefer over everything else.  Good luck.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Timbuk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Looks like I'll have to add the Schafer Silvertip, Robertson, and Wes Wallace to my list of bows to try before ordering.  I've tried a couple Wes Wallace longbows and they seemed really nice but I've never tried a Silvertip or Robertson.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
I keep hearing very good things about the Toelke bows?  I have never shot one but they might be worth a look based on what others are saying.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Robertsons a very nice. I have had 3 of them and all were great shooter. Not to hard to look at BTW!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
How soon do you want to get your bow? If that is a factor you might want to do some research on wait times. All the bows you listed are top notch and Bob and Kevin give great service(can't speak for Norm as I have never needed his help). Pick what fits you best and scratches the itch so to speak.

Choosing is half the fun, that's why some of us choose so many.    :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Timbuk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Wait time isn't too much of an issue.  I'd like to get the bow by August of next year but it's not a problem if I don't.  I'm due to get a Randall Model #5 knife in the next couple months and I was crazy enough to wait almost 5 years for that so I suppose a one to one and a half year wait for a bow doesn't put me off too much.  It looks like I'll have to spend some time just trying to figure out which bow to go with so it'll likely be a while before I get this bow.  

I'm leaning towards either osage and cocobolo or osage and ebony.  Not sure what I'll go with on the limbs though, maybe osage veneers.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I prefer the RER bows over anything I have shot and I have owned mosyt all of them. Blacktails are sweet but a long wait and Morrisons were just finicky for me and I owned 3 of them. I would choose the Rivers Edge only because they have in stock bows and the Blacktail wait is over 15 months and they are pricey. As far as performance the RER is right up with the best. Shawn
Shawn

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
All things that are worth having are worth waiting for....it was 13 months and now I have a bow that I will have for a loooooong time! Blacktail Bows!

Offline featherhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
i have had RER and morrison never shot a blacktail but between the two go with a RER hands down overall better bow in my opinon give kevin a call great guy to work with

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
RER will work with you in trying a bow before you buy-test drive-and then if you want mods from there Kevin will custom it to your desires. I have RER bows and a blacktail.RER are the best bows out there for my money but everyone has their favorites.
 The blacktail is smooth and beautiful but for half the money RER will make a really fine bow for you.Both have long waits but are worth it.
 Wallace bows are definitely worth a look, the Mentor line are prime bows also.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Timbuk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
I live about a three and a half hour drive (one way) from RER.  I'll first try contacting them about a test drive but I'd also drive there if need be.  It looks like RER bows are very well liked and I think the bow I want would be a bit less expensive from RER than it would be from Blacktail or Morrison.  Now I've got to get an RER to try...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©