3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Hiking boots that hold up to hunting?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Hiking boots that hold up to hunting?
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
My light hikers gave up the ghost this week while stumping and squirreling so Im looking for something to replace them. Three choices Im contemplating are Lowa, Keen or LL Bean Crestas of which neither I have owned. Not looking at Meindls, Asolo or Vasque for various reasons. What are some of your experiences with these boots? Ill be wearing Mucks once the freezing weather creeps in but until then I like light hikers with wool socks. Thanks, Izzy

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Hiking boots that hold up to hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Izzy,

How goes it? Never seen Keen footwear I didn’t like. For LL's I’ve only used the Maine hunting boot. Don’t know much about Lowa, but heard great things. Have you considered Merrils?
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
The Merrils that Ive seen, seem to lack decent sole tread. By the way Kace, where you moving to.? It was good to meet you anyway, maybe see you on the mountain.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I love my keen targhee 2 goretex. Extremely comfortable, wear great, and really are waterproof. The swamps i hunt tested that.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I have a pair of merrel's that are going strong after 2 years, I love the tread pattern, I'm not sure of the model but I know they are gortex. Chris

EDIT: Just went and checked the model is Continuum.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I have had a couple pair of Keens that were comfortable, but wore out really quickly. I have some HiTecs that I got from Sportsmans Warehouse that are comfortable and have worn really well. They don't cost much, either. I also got a pair of Cabelas lightweight stalkers (I think that is the name, they are camo and in boot height) that are really comfortable, but since they are new I can't comment on their wear.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
I like the Lowa and Asolo light hikers. Not quite the performance as the heavier versions but very comfortable.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Check out the HiTecs. I am on my 4th pair now. I usually get 2 years of hard use out of a set.

I bought my first pair before going on a decoy/spot and stalk Pronghorn hunt. I had tried several high dollar pairs, but none of them just felt right. I finally stopped at a small outdoor store that caters to a lot of through-hikers on the Appalachian Trail (the shop is only minutes from the trail). The owner suggested the HiTecs and said he has lots of through-hikers that won't wear any other boot.

Since then, a couple of my shootin' buds have started wearing them as well. The model that I have is the Altitude. Great boot at a great price.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
A.S.,
The altitude is the ones that I have, too. I go through lots of boots, and these seem to be the best wearing for the money, and comfortable from day one.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
My Merrell Phasers have a really grippy sole pattern.  Not the lightest I've had, but they've been durable, dry, and comfortable.

Offline Uncle Bun Bun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
I've got a pair of The North Face GTXthat are starting third year of hiking, hunting, and the general abuse that surrounds that. I am very impressed with their comfort and durability. There was very little breaking in. They were comfortable right out of the box.
It is pleasant to have been to a place the way a river went. - Thoreau

Offline Lex Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I've been wearing Crestas for the past couple years and am happy with them.  There was definitely a break-in period since they're all leather, but after some wear they were comfortable and have been holding up to the rocks and cactus of the southwest just fine.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Izzy, out of those three I prefer the Keen's but for my feet Merrell's work best if I will be covering lots of ground.  Good luck on your choice.  
PS: If you do happen to choose Merrell's get one full size larger than you normally wear if you can't try on first, they run consistently small.

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I only have experience with HiTec boots but have no reservations recommending the HiTec Altitude IV WP. Very comfortable (even during the height of an Indian summer) and requires no breaking-in. I have been wearing mine in  thorny scrub, swamp and at construction sites since 2009 and they are still going strong. Very strong! For $60.00 they are excellent value for money. Used to keep mine conditioned with Ballistol gun oil but now use Montana Pitch Blend.

I have another pair of HiTec boots (Outlander) that are not as comfortable as the Altitude IV and I wouldn't recommend them.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I have had a pair of Asolo hikers with Gortex for ten years......soles are worn but still going strong and the still don't leak.....one of the best boots I have ever had. I got them at Eastern Mountain Sports.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I have hunted Arizona cactus, California dry and high, Alaska, and Georgia in my Merrill chameleon mid-GTX.  They have a sold tread pattern, a deep heel cup that does not move on steep inclines, and are dry.

I love them.  Prior I had meindl and a few other brands.  After my first backpack hunt with these I bought a second pair.

I will never wear another boot.  If it is cold, I have boot blankets and hand warmers.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline barkrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Scarpa makes some tough boots.
been using them for various climbing activities for years.
Family,family,family mmmm... and bows

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
My feet like Lowa's but thats because they fit best - for me. Point is try on each of your prefered brands and pick the one that your feet like best.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
The Kenetrek Hardscrabble LT is a very nice boot, but not inexpensive.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
I'm a huge Keen fan. I've owned several pair over the years and have been pleased. Their customer service is fantastic. That being said I know that not everyone finds them comfortable and down right can't stand the fit, but they fit me well and I have a wide foot.  I have found their size runs pretty consistent. Very little break in required.

Another good brand is Danner. I've had a couple pairs of theirs and they are rock solid.  They can be spendy depending on the model but if you keep a lookout you can find some great deals on Danners. Hope this helped.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©