3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: putting together a small hunt  (Read 22421 times)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: putting together a small hunt
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
here is a short video of Brain playing a different flute that he brought.

This bear flute is now mine, thanks to Horatio immense generosity!

Thank you my friend
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by ronp:
Our guide, Charlie:

It should read "Charlie is absolutely lost"

I missed our turn by about 100 yards. I felt like an idiot until I hit the next old logging road, I knew where I was basically, just needed to figure out exactlty where we were on the road. I only had to go abbout 50 yards to see the swamp, and then Ken appeared through the fog.

The hunters were placed and the rain started.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
You weren't lost.......you knew you were in Fulton county in upstate N.Y......confused ...maybe!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Confused, Ron,

That's just a given  :readit:    :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
WOW!  This weekend went by WAY too fast!!!!!

What a great time.....even with the nasty wet weather.

First off.....a BIG Thanks goes out to Ken and Ken's Mom for hosting this ragtag group.  You folks made us feel right at home.  I can't thank you enough!

Chuck - it was great sharing the road trip with you.

It was great to see friends Ken, Charlie and Chris again and get to finally meet some other TGers including my fellow NYers Chuck, RonP, RonW, Brian, Justin, Drew and son, Casey and Izzy who are all new found friends (sorry if I left anyone out - I've got CRS), in addition to my new Canadian friend Manny and my new favorite MA chef, Nate.  You folks are all great to share a camp with.

I can tell you that this group would never allow something like a bit of torrential rain ever dampen their spirits.

FOOD...let's just put it as "our larder runneth over"!  I was only happy to be able to share some various moose sausage products (which gladly disappeared) and my 2011 bounty of morels and maitakes for Nate's wonderful stroganoff.  Speaking of Nate....not only is he a great guy to hang around and a more-than-talented bladesmith, but this guy is a true chef!!! Thanks for all the time you spent preparing  those great meals.  You and Charlie also qualify as "Grill Masters". I know I came home a few pounds heavier!!!  Bear backstrap, Venison backstrap, Pork loin, french toast to die for, breakfast, Charlie's poppers, hotdogs, moose and venison sausages, Brian's great baked beans, Nate's venison loin hor d oeuvres and of course, Nate's stroganoff.  It was almost like a hunter's holiday weekend with all the food riches.

Thank you Charlie for the great wool coat.  It will find lots of use this winter.  Brian - I can't thank you enough for the great gift of your hand-made flute.  My wife will force me to learn how to play it properly!  A more generous gathering of folks you will never find!

The "Newfie vs cat" incident happened moments before Chuck and I hit the road...I almost dreaded hearing what that outcome would be.  I hope the cat is alright.  I could only imagine your Mother's reaction. Hopefully, she won't associate the cat getting injured with that hoard of hunters that took over occupation of her house!

Ken - Brother, thank you so much for hosting this hunt. I had a wonderful time.  Please thank your Mother for me for sharing her house.  She is a great Lady.

To the rest of the "gang" - I would share a fire anytime with each and every one of you.  You are a great bunch of folks to spend time with.   :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
I have to give a big Thanks to Brian for all the great things he sent home with me. I was gifted an awesome flute as well and a spear along with some locust staves . Thanks again my friend.
 Izzy : I hate to tell ya this but that thunderchild blew out of the truck on the way home and is ruined   :eek:  There that should keep everyone from wantin after my poor little bow:0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Very well said, Tony! Just a fantastic group of guys.  I'm still smilin'
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Cookie and the Cat Wrangler vs the turkey part 2:
lat year The Cat Wrangler called in the biggest gobbler of his life but due to the fact they are friends he did not shoot and i'm sure Cookie thanks him for that. ok fast forward a year to Saterday morning. this is where the confusion begings as to thier turkey hunting system. Cookie swears that HE was the scout and would pop his head up on occasion (napping!!!) to look for the turkeys, he was then to alert The Cat Wrangler by throwing a small pebble ( large stone) at his hyead to alert him. however The Cat Wrangler swears Cookie has it all backwords and HE was on the alert for turkeys (napping) and was to wake Cookie up by tapping him on the head with a twig ( large limb) to alert him! i'm more confused as an amish electrician as to how the helll this system works but low and behold The Cat Wrangler did get off a shoot and trimmed a few feathers (AGAIN) form a hen. tyhe end story is The Cat Wrangler had to eat crow AGAIN complaments of the turkey!!!! now as to their system it reminds me of that game at the fair where ya try to bop the gophers in the head when then pop thier heads up!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Dangit Drew, something told me I shouldnt have lent it back to you after you promised it to me, you remember dont you? I was pretty sure you were awake when you did. Poor bow shoulda been home safe with me. Oh well, lesson learned.   :banghead:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
He didnt clip no feathers off of no turkey. That was his fletching from hitting the rock a few yards short of said turkey. I saw it all from just over the hill with my fog proof, rain proof spyglass.    :readit:

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
"confused as an amish electrician" LMAO!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
if is was not for the fact that the cat was my sisters it would have been treated foe S.S.D and delt with accordingly!  (Sudden Shovel Disease)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: October 03, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
It is my pleasure Drew!I love to put these things into the hands of those with an appreciation for them!  ;)
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Our system works just fine and we have managed to not shoot turkeys with this same system in many locations.
Izzy : Was I drinking that red juice by chance when we made that deal ?
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Charlie camp cook and bottle wash!

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
What a bunch of CHARACTERS!!  I thinks these posts are pretty much spot on with the antics of the weekend.  From the general debauchery of Friday night, to the three (or two, or sixteen) stooges in the pouring rain on the mountain, to the general admiration of all the "knives" over on the knife forum, snoring, pan buttering (and the ever-present bread tossing), and chronograph deciphering, it was a trip for the ages!  Couldn't have asked for a better group of guys in a better venue, It was perfect in every way.  Thanks again Ken and Mother Mowrey for taking us in!

The Adirondack Attack, Where everyone smells bad, shoots crooked (or low and left), snores loud and drinks too much!!(and dont take kindly to hissing cats)

Thanks again all,
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: October 03, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
no drew i'm pretty sure it was the blue jucie but i'm  not sure as i was drinking something with a turkey on the bottle...

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Ken, COOKIE???  Really, Really ??

Been called worse I guess, but not much  :readit:  

I'm with Brian, the amish electrician is hillarious!!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Cookie cooking...

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
could call ya the $5000 man but you would have to explain that one and please post pictures!  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©