3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cap Dips in very climates  (Read 328 times)

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
Cap Dips in very climates
« on: July 06, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I have made numerous sets of arrows, from pre-spined shafts.  I only capped dipped once and that did not go well.  The problem is that I live in Miami.  The consistency that Bohning ships their lacquer in may be good for cap dipping during the fall up north but, the lacquers skins way too fast down here.  So what happens is that the lacquers stops running off the arrows way too quickly and you end with blisters of lacquer.

Has anyone devised a way to counter-act the warm weather when performing cap dips?  Maybe by adding more thinner or something?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cap Dips in very climates
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I would think adding thinner would help some. It should make it run faster and take longer to dry, though you may have to make muliple dips.

I prefer krylon spray for dipping my arrows, mainly for speed and ease of use but also for the reason you bring up.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Here in the Hudson Valley we always have high humidity during the summer. Here in the shop when I was crown dipping custom arrows, I ran a de-humidifier 24x7 and did all my dipping at night. On those "certain" days when even the night was humid, I would hold off dipping until the temps dropped a bit. The key is, if you have to dip in humid weather, thin out the paint more than usual, allow it to dry quicker then reapply 2 or 3 more coats.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
thinning is the only way...or go to a different product. Bohning has always been a lot more difficult to work with and also puts out a lot of odor.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I've always thinned the Bohning laquer for full length as well as cap dips.  Two units of laquer to one of thinner.

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Get some lacquer retarder thinner from Sherwin Williams or a commercial paint supplier. It slows the drying time down so the moisture can escape. We use it for woodwork finishing in summertime.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Big river:
I'm sorry but you CANNOT use Sherwin Williams thinner on Bohning paints its a different breed of cat. Sherwin Williams is a nitrocellous  Lacquer and Bohning is a Vinyl Lacquer.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Retarder thinner can be used in vinyl lacquer, so can lacquer thinner. I have made hundreds of arrows thinning the super clear with both, and have used it on the white also.  You cant mix the lacquers together, but the thinner works just fine. I have a little experience with lacquers & they do work fine together.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©