3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Im new to wood....and have some questions  (Read 224 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Im new to wood....and have some questions
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
Hi,

im wanna build some woodies for my next bow, but as ive got no experience with wood arrows after all i have some questions.

What is the strongest wood for making arrows? I want them as durable and robust as possible as i shoot alot of stumps and hate broken arrows    ;)  
Ive thouht about laminated birch, maple or ash but am concerned about the straightness issues.

Where to buy quality and and close matched shafts?

And finally the most popular correct arrow question:

Wich shafts would i need?
Bow will be a Thunderchild 63#@my 30";
I wanna shoot arrows with 31" length about 650 grain total weight.

Thanks alot!!!
Axel
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Im new to wood....and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
If you want a tough arrow at 650 grains, Ash would be a good choice with a 125-160 grain point should hit the mark. For straightness, like all hardwoods they take a bit of work and will need touching up daily. Someone did an arrow build along with Hickory which will give you a good idea of working hardwood shafts.

A good place to get them Allegheny Mountain woods, Raptor Archery and The nocking point all sell them.

As for the last question, I would guess something spined around 70# but maybe someone with a longer draw length will have a better idea.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
Ich stimme Ash 160grn 75-80 # Wirbelsäule .. Sprechen Sie mit Ted,, Er wird richten Sie

Soory, ich denke immer noch in Englisch

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
Ich stimme Ash 160grn 75-80 # Wirbelsäule .. Sprechen Sie mit Ted,, Er wird richten Sie

Soory, ich denke immer noch in Englisch
Thanks for the help.

The translation is kind of funny, though.
"Er wird richten Sie" means "He will excecute you"...   ;)    :D  I hope not!   :)
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I'd go with ash for your wood choice. It makes a very durable and heavy arrow. I always get my shafts from Bill at Allegheney Mountain Arrow Woods. He makes a great product and is really good at answering your questions to make sure you get what you need. I get all my other arrow stuff from Mike Horton at The Nocking Point. Can't say enough good things about him.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
From that bow, and at that length, you're going to need some seriously strong shafts, around 90# I think.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
I sincerly doubt you will find any ash that lite for total weight. Try poplar or chundoo. They are both stronger tha cedar the chundoo will be lighter and slightly less strong than the poplar but stronget that cedar. I usually only break points off and that's after a lot of abuse. My buddy swears by poplar. Check out twigarchery.com
He is known world wide for great shafting.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I shoot Douglas Fir and some Sitka Spruce, both are tougher than Cedar and finding good straight Cedar has become a chore. If you really hate broken arrows and you do a lot of stumping you are probably in need of one of the hard wood shafts and it is my understanding that they take a lot of continuous work often with heat to maintain straightness.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Yellow poplar would be a good choice. Lighter than ash or hickory, and at least twice as tough as any softwood species.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Ask Bill form Alleghenny Mountain arrow woods.
Ash shafts are a good choice, as are maple.
My personal favorite is tapered maple shafts. Not laminated, but the normal stuff. It is usually physically lighter than the laminated stuff. I don't know if he still makes them.
Go one spinegroup higher than spine for soft woods, because they will react a little weaker dynamically.
Such a light physical weight will be hard to accomplish with maple or ash at the spine you'll need.
Maple stays super straight if sealed correctly. So please seal hardwoods really good and they usually will stay straight.
Spine recommendations are hard on this one, because it depends on the shaft diameter and how far to center the bow is cut. 75-80# may work, which will likely be a 23/64" shaft.
Dinks feather shop offers laminated maple as well. You can order a test dozen there readily made up.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
You can always get footed arrows or do them yourself with aluminum.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I have ash 30"BOP 60-65# topping off around 700grn

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
You won't hit your spine requirements (90# plus) with anything other than Cedar, Fir, spruce or exotic hardwoods like Cocobolo. Exotics like Cocobolo will be too heavy and Spruce and Cedar too light and breakable, by your specs.
Fir from Surewood can be had up to 115# in 11/32 so that is what I would pic.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
my advice is to get a surewood doug fir test kit from braveheart archery.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I'd go with Surewood. You'll be heavier than 650 grains, though.  Probably around 600 grains for the bare shaft. You'll probably need 85-90 or 90-95 spine, maybe even 95-100. The test kit would be a good idea.

For a reference, I shoot 65-70 spine full length out of a 51@31 Hill. With a 125 grain point, they weigh 650 grains.

They are tough, much tougher than cedar. I've broken a few, but that was when I hit rocks. It still is a good idea to not knowingly shoot a solid stump, though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©