3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Nocks for Speed Shooting  (Read 484 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Nocks for Speed Shooting
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I have been spending a little time trying to get fast at drawing an arrow from my quiver and getting the shot off fast and repeating.  I shoot Gold Tips with the standard nock.  They are  small pointy nocks which don't easily fall onto the string when I am going fast.  

Are there any other/better options available?  For aluminum arrows, I used to have some nocks that had a large ridge or indicator on the side of the nock and a wide "mouth" which made it easier to get on the string fast.  Thanks

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Nocks for Speed Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I shoot wood, and I do know that 3R has a wide assortment of nocks available and they are cheap enough to get a dozen or two of different types and see what fits.
  I do have to ask how accurate are you with the speed shooting and at what distance. Is it for small game or target?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Mercury nocks are the easiest to use for controlling an arrow by the nock. the slightly square shape with the large vane gives me the leverage I like. Plus I like how they slide snug on the string without snapping onto the string.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I do have to ask how accurate are you with the speed shooting and at what distance. Is it for small game or target?
Accuracy is fine as long as I don't rush the shot but I am only shooting about 13 yards.  I am not really working to get the shot off fast because I am sooo slow (relatively speaking) at getting the arrow on the string that I have plenty to work on there.  It has something I have always wanted to perfect (probably inspired by the movies).  

It would be sweet to double on pheasants if a second bird got up slow or late.  But realistically my time could be better spent practicing so that I just hit the first bird and forget about the second possibility.  So it is really just for the fun of a new challenge.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
I use Mercury nocks and a single nocking point above the arrow. I can feel the index ridge and slide the arrow up to the nocking point without ever looking away from my target.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
I use Mercury nocks and a single nocking point above the arrow. I can feel the index ridge and slide the arrow up to the nocking point without ever looking away from my target.
Ditto, but I have the nocking point below the arrow.  Mercury are still the best nock for shooting, the new ones just are made of poor quality plastic.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:

Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Ditto, but I have the nocking point below the arrow.  Mercury are still the best nock for shooting, the new ones just are made of poor quality plastic. [/b]
So you wouldn't recommend the new nocks?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
If you used 4 fletch the nock locator would be a non event; 4 fletch can go on any which way.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
My Mercurys are the old ones.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Hmmmmm.  Speed nocks might work.  They're not made any more, but still available on the auction sites.  They have a straight throat and a raised indicator that lines up with the cock feather.  However, if you're going for speed, really doesn't make any difference whether you nock cock feather in or out.  Howard Hill, who was pretty quick from quiver to string, nocked his arrows above the string nock.  He felt it was the fastest way to get the arrow on the string and in position. Have fun.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I just used my last old mercury nock yesterday. Now what. Nirk nocks don't look bad to me.I do like to be able to easily nock an  arrow without ever looking at it. I also put the arrow over my single nocking point. I think it's faster than putting it under the nocking point.

They all cost too much for a little piece of plastic, in my opinion.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I have a couple 1000 Jim Dandee speed nocks.  They do not snap on to the string.  If anyone is interested in some let me know.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
How fast is fast?  Was Howard hill shooting a shot per second, 2 sec, 3 sec,...?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Hill was fast, if you can think the films weren't edited and spliced. I haven't read that he tried to be fast, or fastest.

Saxton Pope worked at trying to get several arrows in the air before the first had hit the ground. Seems like he might have done 7???
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I believe Hill managed to shoot at least five arrows, or was it six, into the air getting the last one off before the first one hit the ground.  That's pretty fast.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Nocking above the nock point gives you better speed when loading. I've been nocking above for many years after reading some of the old tales about speed shooting. I believe the Mercury nocks work best for speed shooting with their deep, wide throat and prominent index.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Agree. Where can we get good ones? I have a pile of 1/4" ones I would be happy to trade for 5/16...

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©