3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tusker Concorde hits a Rock  (Read 284 times)

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
Tusker Concorde hits a Rock
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I hit a rock at about 35yds(by accident) and here is the results. Note these are 155gr glue on and I used the aluminum adapters with 18gr aluminum inserts in goldtip trophy 400 carbon shafts. Part of the adapter and insert are still in the arrow. Clearly the adapter/arrow were a weak point, but the tip of the broad head did bend as well. They fly great, but are a bit tough to sharpen. I will be using them this season, as Im not hunting rocks (on purpose).

PLEASE post images no wider than 640 - it's easy to have photobucket do this for ya automatically -  how to autosize photobucket images  - thanx!
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tusker Concorde hits a Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
It would seem to me that if the broadhead bent after hitting a rock it would have the tendency to bend on any hard impact such as heavy bone and even whitetails do have heavy bone. I use a VPA terminator and I have stuck them in trees and hit rocks after misses on deer. They have never even had a tip curl just some fine honing and your ready to go again.
James Kerr

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Dr, Ed ashby wrote (if I remember well) that it was better to use steel adapter than aluminum. You sure did hit it hard!!! Good season to you!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Ken1320,

Try the Loctite 380 also called black Max, from Mcmaster-Carr. The arrow probably wouldn't have been effected, you can also use 2117 aluminum arrows to foot them, this will almost make them bullet proof, or rock proof in this case.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
The not so obvious here guys is when I say rock, I'm talking about a 35# rock, not a stone in the dirt. Also this rock is not flat, but rather shapely as in something you might see lining a flower bed. I have no doubt the head didn't hit at a perfectly 90 degree wall to its course, hence the bending moment. Had I hit it perfectly square, its likely the head would have been straight to the eye, but jammed 2" deeper into the arrow shaft. I used aluminum to hit the target weight I was after. This is not a slam on this broad head, and Id rather it didn't turn into that. I have full confidence in this head holding up extremely well in hunting situations. You can not compare a rock to any bone, let a lone a whitetail bone. Go to the Tusker site, he shoots several heads thru a shoulder blade and they go right thru. This rock, well, its not hurt. lol
 NJloco, I'm sending you a pm later today. I use hot melt glue for my inserts, and merlite hot melt glue for the insert to broad head. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
Steel or stainless steel inserts are best as stated above  :thumbsup:  Rocks/cement will do in best of broadheads - good thing they don't taste good!
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©