3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cut past center ?????  (Read 119 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Cut past center ?????
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
What does cut past center mean exactly. How does it affect how you tune your bow, if is cut past or not cut past.  I have a 2010 Bear Super Kodiak is it cut past center.

THANKS

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cut past center ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Past center means that the arrow tip will be closer to the riser relative to the string and before center means further away from the riser.

With the above said, one can shoot a variety of differently spined arrows with regards to point weight (and brace height) when cut past center than if a bow is only cut to center (not as many choices).
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Someone who studied bows and tuning for years shared that with a Center cut or past-center cut riser, the arrow isn't sure which way to paradox coming off the finger released string.

Center cut or past requires a stiffer arrow because the shaft is getting the force directly into the kiester, and doesn't need to be lower spine to wrap around the riser due to paradox.

I like center cut now so I can tune the bow to the arrow I want, instead of making arrow makers rich chasing different spines to find one that is suited for my release, draw length and bow weight.

By shimming out the side plate, I can tune the BOW to the arrow more easily.

Just another view of a great campfire debate.  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Center cut: stretch a cord exactly in the middle of you upper limbs to exactly the middle of your lower limbs.
Now look at your riser and at your strike plate location to be more specific. If your strike plate is past the cord then we speak about past centercut. Is it is exactly on the cord, then your bow is centercut. Is it before the cord, then the bow is cut before center. The amount is expressed in inches, i.e. 1/8ïnch past center.

The more centercut a bow is, the higher the  spine-value for your arrow has to be. Your bow will also be more spine tolerant.

If you download Stu Millers'Dynamic spine calculator and also the instructuions, it will all become clear to you.

A good bowyer knows exactly how much centercut his bows are.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©