3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Spruce Arrows - Pics  (Read 625 times)

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Sitka Spruce Arrows - Pics
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Just completed some sitka spruce shafts I received from Hildebrand Co. into finished arrows.
They are tappered shafts that spined 50 - 53# on my home made tester and weighed out within 7 grains. Quality shafts needing minimal straightening and very good grain patterns. These arrows finished out at an average of 485 grains with a 125 gr. tip. They shoot excellent out of my 51# longbow.

This was my first experience with sitka spruce. So far so good. I do, however, miss that intoxicating aroma of cedar when cutting and tapering the ends. Smelling a fresh cut cedar shaft is like the scent of autumn for me. It brings on the hunting fever.

The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Spruce Arrows - Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Nice work bud!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Great looking arrows Dave

If ya need someone to try them out just let me know  :bigsmyl:  

Going to try some sika spruce out my self...

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks, Charlie. I appreciate the compliment.

Hey Gary, how ya doing bud? I sure hope you're enjoying that Mikuta. These Hildebrand sitka spruce shafts were very good quality and I would recommend them. I have made cedar arrows for a number of years but they're getting a little harder to come by so I thought I would try these. I haven't shot them a lot just yet but my first imperssion is a good one... Dave

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Dave
  :thumbsup:   Those arrows do look great!! If they shoot as good as they look something is in trouble !!!

I love the Mikuta were going to have a very long lasting friendship  :campfire:  

Good luck

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Mighty fine lookin arrows Dave    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Nice, if ya decide ya don't like'em, I have a bow they would fly nice out of!!  :bigsmyl:  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Dang...I just finished some Stika too, but after seeing yours mine look like I used crayons!

Great job.  What type of cresting paint do you use?

Oh, I've been very pleased with the quality of the spruce versus some of the POC I was messing with.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
Here's my Sitkas I used for my turkey hunt.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Ron, those are some gorgeous looking arrows. You're giving me some ideas for my next set. I'm not up to par with your's but I keep working at it. I find crafting arrows to be a great stress reliever. I thoroughly enjoy the process.

Cutty47, I use acrylic craft paint from Wally World. I straighten the shaft, apply 2 coats of gasket lacquer (I like the quick dry time), steel wool the shaft and start cresting on my home made crester. The trick is always a good straight shaft that spins true in your crester. After the cresting dries it gets 3 more coats of the gasket lacquer to finish it off. I've also been using the Saunders NPV fletching cement lately for the feathers and nocks with very good results.

"mine look like I used crayons" - now that had me laughing   :biglaugh:  Come on Cutty, they couldn't be that bad!!!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Great looking arrows guys! I have been making my own wood arrows for about 6 months. I have a long way to go to match these. But I have fun doing it. It's very gratifying when they turn out ok. I have been using Hildebrands exclusively because of the great quality and performance. Here are some I did recently.

Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
I forgot to say that I love the durability and great finish the Helms Spar Urethane puts on a shaft. I crown with diluted Rustoleum and crest with Krylon water-based paint. I can get all of these at the local hardware store! Just another reason to go there!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
all very purty !!!!
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
I have been using Hildebrand tapered and barreled sitka spruce for the past year, and I really like them.  Very consistant. I dip full length first with thinned Bohning super coat lacquer, 3-4 coats, or 2 coats with color over top, then another clear.
 For 3-D shooting, just 4 coats of clear, 3"- 90* shield 4 fletch, maybe cresting, or not.:-) Bill G.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
So, which do you like better Hawksnest, the barrel or the tapered? I haven't tried shooting either one. Would appreciate your experience with them.

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Snag1:
So, which do you like better Hawksnest, the barrel or the tapered? I haven't tried shooting either one. Would appreciate your experience with them.
I kinda favor the barreled shafts. 11/32" tapered to 5/16 point end, and tapered to 9/32" on the nock end. They shoot great.  Bill G.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I'll have to give them a try. Do you know if Hildebrand makes these?

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Yes Snag, that's where I get them. Good people to deal with.  Bill

Offline CoyoteBryceBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
I make mine with poplar, clear laquer, cresting dip and 5.5" fletchings
Give it Everything you have, Or Nothing At All!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Snag, for making arrows for only 6 months it sure looks like you're gettin the hang of it. I really like those orange barred feathers. Nice job.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©