3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lots of Bowyers Over the Last Twenty Years!  (Read 279 times)

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
Lots of Bowyers Over the Last Twenty Years!
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I have every issue of Traditional Bowhunter and I was reading through some of the earlier magazines.

I love looking at all the bow advertisements over 20 some years. Many bowyers have come and gone or maybe just quit advertising. In just three issues I found all of these not well known,(at least to me)bowmakers.

Free Spirit Longbows...Phillips Archery..Cougar Primitives...Ironhorse Archery...Cedar Valley Bows...Pathfinder Bow Company... Barry Huson Recurves...High Country Longbows...Cash Custom Longbows...Sundog Archery...Badger Longbows...Dynasty Bows...O'Brien Bows...Custom Bowyers of New England...Fisher Longbows...Red Feather Bows...Northern Lights Archery...Sauk Trail Archery...Lone Eagle Bows...Coyote Custom Bows...Cox Custom Recurves...Aztec Archery...Kentuckian Longbow Company...Winchuk Bows...Blue Ridge Archery...Pacific Coast Bows...Shelby Mustang Longbows...Jeff Roberts Longbows...R.B. Archery...A. Gordon Bow Company...Shadow Bows...Stratton Longbow Company...Alaska Peninsula Longbow Company...Plainsman Recurves...Osprey Bows...Superstition Longbows...Bows by REM...Timberline Longbows...Timber Spirit Bows...Stoney Point Bows...Gray Hawk Longbows...Genesis Self Bows...Scherrinsky Customs...Silver Frost Longbows...Miami Valley Bow Company...Challenger Longbow Company...Angel Wings Longbows...Stealth Custom Bows...Hoppe's Longbows...Westside Longbows...Reign Bow Archery and Juniper Mt. Longbows.

I left off better known names that no longer make bows, for various reasons, like Stillwater, Monarch, Talon, Scorpion, Old Timer, Knight, Heritage, Groves, JimBow, Texas Longbows and Recurves, Wilderness, Grey Wolf, Windwalker, Sentman, Green Mountain, Windstorm, Kramer, and Rocky Mountain.

Cheers to all of our small time bowyers that turn out some truly wonderful longbows and recurves.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lots of Bowyers Over the Last Twenty Years!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
of thoes listed i had owned a blue ridge longbow. that was a beutiful bow. had to go down in pounds so i gave it away.
>>>------John------>

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
We are truely fortunate indeed to have a number of great bowyers.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
As I wrote the list, it's fun to read some of the creative names they picked for their bows. I wish I had the opportunity to see, hold and shoot the bows these small companies produced.

What a super fun day and days that would be, stump shooting with bows from each of these bowyers.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
The number of bowyers that have come and gone over the years gives and indication of what a tough business it is to make a living at.  I congratulate those that have successfully remained in the game.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
There was a guy who made "Wings of the Wind" bows. WAY ahead of his time back then, he used crazy exotic woods, and tons of laminations. The bows were in a league of their own....almost target bow based but made to hunt.  Very forgiving and easy to shoot....anyone have a clue what happened to this guy?
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I own a 64" 59# @ 28" Pathfinder.  Made by Carl Johns here in Michigan, good bow and a great guy..  All bacote, and shoots right where I look.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
some of those ya posted still making them!! :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
One can't help notice too at least around here is a sharp rise in trad archers. It seems to be taking off alot around here.  On a side note, not sure how long Timberhawk has been around, but I am very happy with my one piece Strike. The Orange tint cocobola with zebrawood is really good looking.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Plainsman Recurves. If someone can find me one of those I greatly appriciate it.   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Has anyone owned any bows by these makers, besides JV Rooster?

I've always wondered what an A. Gordon recurve shot like. It had an unusual shaped riser.

Thanks for your replies!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I have Dan Bertalan's book "Traditional Bowyers of America". Good reading and quite a few of these guys are no longer in business. They all made quality products for decent prices.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
One of the biggest regrets I have, was 20 years ago, for various reasons, not traveling out west to meet Jack Howard and having him custom build me a Gamemaster Jet recurve. Boy, was I STUPID. I had contacted him, got his catalog and had the vacation and bow purchase planned (and funded, as I was single and had $$ to burn), but changed my mind. And I then wasted the money on wine, women and song...AARGhhhhh...! The lesson I learned was to "do it now, while you can".

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Whew, aint that the way for most of us Chris?  :D
David M. Conroy

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Genesis Selfbows made By J.D. Jones, have 2 of them.  Also had an Appalachian Archery Elk Mountain recurve by Dave Guthrie.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Hit-or-Miss...that could be the theme song for many of us. I could have bought lots of lightly used factory bows, Wing, Bear, Browning, Pearson etc., in the early 80's, but I let them go by. None more than $45.00. DOUBLE AARRGGHH!!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
I have Dan Bertalan's book "Traditional Bowyers of America". Good reading and quite a few of these guys are no longer in business. They all made quality products for decent prices.
I just got this book. A lot of great information in there.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I lost eight hours when I bought Dan's book in the late 80's. I started reading and couldn't put it down.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I posted this several years ago and found it again. I would still love to have each of these bowyers make me a bow and just spend wonderful times with friends and family shooting each one.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I still have my first custom bow......a Green Mountain Longbow..........I got it in 1996. Met Jim D. at a NYB banquet and ordered the bow right then and there, great guy!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©