3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help picking the right broadhead?  (Read 385 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
help picking the right broadhead?
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
So I ordered some test sets of points from 3rivers along with MBB v3 and a rest for my riser as the other one had fallen off.

Along with my order I was about to put in for some broadheads, but I decided against it as I came across single bevel two blade, 3 blade, etc. SO MANY BROAD HEADS. Which lead me ultimately to ordering those test points to gauge weight. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on choosing a broadhead for hunting some white tail, I might not end up even shooting this year as my accuracy at longer ranges is..... unforgiving right now.

So to clarify;
Broadhead for white tail:(brand)
Blades(# of):
Bevel:
Right wing left wing?(no idea what the difference is.)

I understand a lot of this will be personal preference but it will give me an insight to my potential purchase. Thanks ahead of time!

Stay sharp, shoot straight, and have a good time.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help picking the right broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Zwickey delta
2or4 blade
double bevel
glue on

Fly quiet(no vents), can weigh whatever you want them to, Easy to sharpen, tough, usually leave 2  big holes and they don't cost much.

Your going to get a bunch of responses but finding the right broadhead is part of the fun!  :D  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
What Rob said........

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I asked these questions myself a handful of times. The guys will want to know your draw weight, draw length, and arrow weight.

For me, I like Magnus Stingers or Buzzcuts in 4 blade. They're easy for me to sharpen and if I mess them up I send them back for free replacements. Also, the extra blades are small so shouldn't impede penetration like some large 3 or 4 blades.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Generally speaking Any cut-on-contact broadhead, made razor sharp, will do the trick on a white-tail, even on a light bow, so long as your arrows are tuned and your shot placement is good i.e. no heavy bone strikes.

Current thinking seems to be moving towards very heavy single bevel heads because they apparently blow apart heavy bone (because they spin while moving through flesh).

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
Zwickey delta
2or4 blade
double bevel
glue on

Fly quiet(no vents), can weigh whatever you want them to, Easy to sharpen, tough, usually leave 2  big holes and they don't cost much.

Your going to get a bunch of responses but finding the right broadhead is part of the fun!   :D  

Rob
the problem with glue on is I shoot carbon, I really want some wood arrows But I have yet to get a good explanation, not that people haven't tried, I'm just thick headed and need it laid out, on how to pick my spine.

I have a 28 inch draw shooting 48 #'s on a hoyt game master td recurve. I was also about to plunge on some wooden shafts but the spine issue got me away from it.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
im going to be using 185gr hunor africas this season.  great flying heads and have a silver flame design to them. thick blades, easy to resharpen, hold good edge and come hunting sharp.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I shoot carbon also. I buy the glue-on so I can add the screw-in adapter in the weight I want and turn them all the same way.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
If you're pulling that close to 50# I would recommend the VPA Terminator/Woodsman elite in whatever weight works best for you. However If you were to ever pursue anything larger I say go with a 2 blade head. No matter what get it sharp. I shoot a 55# bow and use the 175 grn. WW Elites and can shoot through anything big enough to die (minus elephants,cape buffalo, and those sort of animals).
James Kerr

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
I shoot carbon also. I buy the glue-on so I can add the screw-in adapter in the weight I want and turn them all the same way.

Rob
When you turn them do you turn them flat or veritcal?

_ or | nocked and resting on the shelf and does it matter?

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
If you're pulling that close to 50# I would recommend the VPA Terminator/Woodsman elite in whatever weight works best for you. However If you were to ever pursue anything larger I say go with a 2 blade head. No matter what get it sharp. I shoot a 55# bow and use the 175 grn. WW Elites and can shoot through anything big enough to die (minus elephants,cape buffalo, and those sort of animals).
sorry for double posting didn't catch this response right away.

Where do you get your VPA's?

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I'm no expert, but I decided to go with a classic solid two-blade broadhead. I wanted everything to be more classic rather than modern.

I am going to be using, for the first time, 125gr Zwickey Eskimo Black Diamond glue-ons mounted on some 3Rivers cedar arrows.

They fly very good for me. I hope to be using them for years to come.

I am getting up into a tree on Thursday for a black bear to start my year off. I have no doubt they will get the job done.

Shooting off the shelf and the blades are vertical. I don't think it would really matter much about the blade being vertical or horizontal. The helical fletching make the arrow spin anyway.

Good luck.

And this is from my 3rd time shooting a recurve bow at 20 yrds. The Zwickey broadheads seem to fly pretty well. Don't take my terrible grouping as something wrong with the Zwickeys. It's purely operator error and inexperience (3rd time shooting).

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by LeeBishop:
I'm no expert, but I decided to go with a classic solid two-blade broadhead. I wanted everything to be more classic rather than modern.

I am going to be using, for the first time, 125gr Zwickey Eskimo Black Diamond glue-ons mounted on some 3Rivers cedar arrows.

They fly very good for me. I hope to be using them for years to come.

I am getting up into a tree on Thursday for a black bear to start my year off. I have no doubt they will get the job done.

Shooting off the shelf and the blades are vertical. I don't think it would really matter much about the blade being vertical or horizontal. The helical fletching make the arrow spin anyway.

Good luck.

And this is from my 3rd time shooting a recurve bow at 20 yrds. The Zwickey broadheads seem to fly pretty well. Don't take my terrible grouping as something wrong with the Zwickeys. It's purely operator error and inexperience (3rd time shooting).

lee, that looks like my grouping at 11 feet, Haha. Working on those yardage shots lately and get 3 of 5 on target (vitals on bag target) I appreciate your input. Im impressed at the praise of zwickey and at 30 bucks for 6? flabbergasted!

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Dumke:
lee, that looks like my grouping at 11 feet, Haha. Working on those yardage shots lately and get 3 of 5 on target (vitals on bag target) I appreciate your input. Im impressed at the praise of zwickey and at 30 bucks for 6? flabbergasted!
Well, I'm not new to archery. So, I guess my form wasn't too bad all these years. I've only started shooting a recurve bow for the last couple of weeks.

And I bought my Zwickey Black Diamonds from a local archery shop in Little Rock for like $23 for half a dozen. If they are selling for $30 now then I guess I got a good deal. They are great simple heads.

I wish I had some vintage Ben Pearson Deadheads though. I'd be using those things. But on **** they sell for a premium...out of my range.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
cant go wrong with Zwickeys... I cant decide either.. So I have 18 hunting arrows ready, 6 with Eclipse, 6 with woodsmans, 6 with Grizzlies..I will probably shoot the Grizzlies.. It doesnt really matter as long as they are sharp and you put it in the right spot..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
-Zwickey (Eskimo/Delta)
-4 Blade
-Double
-5" RW Helical

My dad has used this setup for 30+ years and I have used it for 10. I'll never use anything else.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
OR.....pick the broadhead you want to use then match and tune our arrow to your bow to make it work.......I shoot 160gr snuffers out of 6  different bows from 45# to 70#, both longbows and recurves.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline compound_convert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
so any kind of cut on contact will work? im also new to trad shooting, and im looking into the carbon express f 15, its a cut on contact with 4 bleeders will that be to much resistance on impact ?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I need heads that are easy to sharpen (because I suck at it). A three blade head that is easy for me are the VPA's. They also fly true, tough as nails and are quiet in flight.

If I go with my Magnus Stingers I have to use my KME sharpener for them.

Sharp is the key. Make and model are not nearly as important.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Zwickey delta
2or4 blade
double bevel
glue on

Your going to get a bunch of responses but finding the right broadhead is part of the fun!    :D    

Rob
There you go! There are lots of different ones, but you will be hard pressed to find on that is actually better than a Delta.     :thumbsup:

By the way, Deltas are super easy to sharpen to scary sharp. I can make them pop hair with nothing more than a file. The key is light strokes once you get them close to sharp.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©