3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I shoot 3 under, and my KMag doesn't like it..  (Read 256 times)

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I shoot 3 under, and my KMag doesn't like it..
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
I recently acquired a 70 somethin Bear Kodiak Mag, stuck on a NAP Flipper rest and started shooting it. After a couple different arrows and nock point changes, this thing is shooting right where I look more consistently than any bow I've had. I love everything about it, except its fairly loud. I played with silencers and brace height and wrapping the string to hush the slap, but it's still loud. I screwed in a big rubber stabilizer    :eek:  and it helped a little. I shoot 3 under, but for kicks I tried it split and it was instantly shooting VERY quiet. I know this has to do with tiller. Does anybody have any special tricks to help quieten down a bow in this situation? I know having it tillered for 3 under would be perfect, but I wasnt born when it was made    :)  I havent had the pleasure of shooting a bow made for 3 under, but now I can understand why it's such a big deal to some folks. Any recommendations on a custom bow made similar to a Kmag are welcome. If I can't hush her down, I may consider just buying myself somethin nice    :thumbsup:   Thanks guys.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I shoot 3 under, and my KMag doesn't like it..
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Not sure how long your K-Mag is, but for a similar bow look at Bruin Custom Recurves XP 60DWL or Huntmaster one piece bows. Made by Mike Steliga in Wisconsin.

I've been shooting a Huntmaster T/D for a long time, and I think a lot of it. Have shot a lot of more expensive bows that I don't like as much. Will probably be ordering a new bow from Mike next spring. I'd trust any of his bows to be smooth shooting and very quiet.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
You might have to raise your rest and your nocking point higher than you have them. Try moving the nock and the rest up an amount equal to the thickness of your index finger.  That will put your middle finder up where it was when you shot split. You might not have to move the rest up that high, but you will have to move it some. Make sure you have double nocks on, too, and get your nock tension just right.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
I haven't shot mine for awhile. Maybe tomorrow I'll dust her off and give her a whirl. I shoot three-under, and don't recall any problems.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies yall. Im gonna try scoochin the rest up today and see what happens. Maybe it will hush up before I run out of sight window    :D

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
You know, if moving your nock point and rest up work, but it ends up looking weird or being to high in the sight window, you might consider sending it to someone to have them retiller and refinish it. I think Whip at the Bow Hospital could do that for you.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Oh yeah, move your nock point up first. That should tell you whether it'll work or not.  If it does, then raise the rest to get your arrow flight back to where it needs to be.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I had a Kodiak Hunter that was the same way, 3 under was loud(even with raising the nocking point some)but split finger was quiet,even without silencers on the string. I was shooting off the shelf. Don't own it anymore, but would still like to see if you can get your bow where you want it. Please keep us informed.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and I am working on noise with a super mag 48.  Right now, I think we have it isolated to the string.  My flemish string makes a bunch of noise...(this is a 1969 bow so its got B 50 on it) but a low count continuous loop string seems to eliminate it.

I am not giving up on the flemish... going to try different silencers etc... but I may go back to a con. loop[ if I have to.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Had a K-mag.  3-under was loud, split was workable.  I shoot 3-under.  I sold the bow.

They are sweet looking bows, but I wasn't too accurate with it and it was loud.

My wife loves hers.  She shoots 3-under but her draw length is a least 3" less than mine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and if I don't use a 2nd nock point below the arrow nock, things get loud and arrow flight gets ugly!
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Art Oneshot

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
The limbs are set for split finger shooting.  Check the tiller you will probably find the lower limb is about a 1/4 inch out from the top.  On a fixed limb bow there isn't anything you can do to change it.

Most consider an even tiller to be the ideal for 3 under shooting.
Art
Cedar Ridge Leatherworks

https://www.artvincentleather.com/

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I moved the nock point up like 5/8" and it made it a little quieter. The noise is not unbearable now, but it threw my whole hit-where-ye-look continuum off when I raised the rest up to match the new nock. If I can adjust I'll just deal with it. The thing is, i'm surprisingly accurate with this bow, and I've always heard your form has to be perfect with the short bows. And mine ain't! But I honestly shoot this better than my 60" bows which have similar setups. I like the little guy too much to leave him home, so come hunting season, he's goin. Makin racket or not.. The big goofy Limbsaver stabilizer I screwed in actually made a very big difference as far as nulling the noise. It's just too goofy to leave it on and it throws it all off balance. I tried contacting the Bow Hospital, but the guy is gone on a hunting trip or somethin till the 23rd I believe. I'm still gonna ask about getting it retillered too.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
You might not have to move the rest up at all. Did you need to raise it up in order to tune it? Or did you just move it up to match what you did with the nock? You might not have to move the rest up near that much.

If you bareshaft, or paper tune, see what it does with the rest in the original position.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Try putting a bit of mole skin on the belly side of the limb tips where the string is making contact. That will do it.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Alright fellas I got it as quiet as it will get and I think I can live with it.. I added the moleskin under the tips, scooted my beaver fur silencers up towards the ends, and added some homemade yarn poofs down where the fur was originally, and moved my rest up just a fuzz from my original location. FYI the extra set of yarn puffs really did the trick, and the moleskin hushed it down a little more. I think that 2 sets of silencers are a must on all my bows now, a heavy set towards the limbs, and lighter poofy puff yarn balls closer to the serving. Thanks for the tips I'm ready for October now!      

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©