3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate sharpening broadheads  (Read 808 times)

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
I hate sharpening broadheads
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I have trying to sharpen my Tusker Concords with my KME and I swear it can't be done. These heads are so hard they could be used to cut diamonds. I am trying to rough them with 80 grit and barely making headway.

Sorry had to vent.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate sharpening broadheads
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Try replaceable blade heads, stingers,phantoms,razorcaps. I set the bevel on some concords with a dremal tool. There to tough to use just a stone.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
use a 14 inch file to start

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
You must get the intial bevel/grind started with a heavy file.  Use a heavy 14" file or auto body rasp, not one of the little Grobet files.  Once you peel away the surface material to set the bevel, then switch to the KME.  The KME is a great honing tool but not really designed to grind down factory new heads.  Further, you can adust the angle of your KME to "meet" the bevel that you set with the file as well.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I totally agree with the title of your thread. I HATE sharpening. i get it done but it is no where near as easy as the guys who know what they are doing make it sound. I wish I lived where the KME's were made so I could have him show me in person how to do it.

Bisch

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
I LOVE sharpening Broad heads  One of the annual rituals of preparing for the hunt .   Maybe jsut me but I Like it and like touching them up also .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I immediately asked myself "I wonder if they mean they hate sharpening broadheads in the same way I hate building arrows?"...lol

I'm not sure that's the case but I feel for you if it is...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I actually LIKE sharpening but if we were all the same what fun would that be?

The KME is not the way to go (at first) for any head that needs a good initial bevel set like Tuskers, Grizzlies and the like.  Use a file, make sure you've filed all the way through to set the edge and then use the KME to finish it off for a wicked sharp head.  Marking the edge with a sharpie can help you with this.  The KME is designed to sharpen, not remove large amounts of material, which many "trad" heads require prior to final sharpening.

Hope this helps, Tim @ Braveheart
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
The KME is not the way to go (at first) for any head that needs a good initial bevel set like Tuskers, Grizzlies and the like
Why not? I would think all you have to do his contact him and tell him the angle you need and what broadhead your are dealing with and he would drill you an other hole for that situation...maybe am wrong it's happened before.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
me too! i have never been taught how to corectly sharpen them with a file.

i tell you i bought a good knife sharpner. a hand help little ziper one. and i can get a two blade shaving sharp.

so thats what i hunt with

i tried to shoot snuffers. bought a snuffer sharpner file. i sux at it. i bought a nice file.... i sux at it!

but i can do a little zipper!! lol

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
File followed by three little words.  Paper wheel sharpener!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Yep I promise they haven't made a broadhead a file won't cut down. The KME will do it. Call Ron at KME, he will tell you how to get them Sharp.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I don't think there is a broadhead out there harder than a really good knife blade. We sharpen knife blades all the time. They're just easier to hang on to. I left the edge a bit thick on some BG-42 blades that are approx RC61. Yeah, you're darn right that first time is tough. After the bevel is established (and silicon carbide or diamonds will cut any steel), it's easy to touch them up. I think the factory might do a little better job thinning the factory edge, but nobody said life was easy :-)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
I love the Concordes and followed the video clip on the Braveheart Archery site where John Tietzel (sp) demonstrates his method and it WORKS
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
For a long time I couldn't get my broadhead sharp enough. I just kept at it with a 14in file. When I finally got the bevel right. And got them shaving hair I sure was proud to have done it myself. It can be a pain just keep at it and get that big file to start. I love my Zwickey Delta's and they are razor sharp now.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I totally agree with the title of your thread. I HATE sharpening. i get it done but it is no where near as easy as the guys who know what they are doing make it sound. I wish I lived where the KME's were made so I could have him show me in person how to do it.

Bisch
Bisch, will an Accusharp work on a Silver Flame?  Just wondering out of curiousity. I thought about picking some up, but I'm sharpening challenged as well. Luckily, I've have had some success with the Accusharp on my Stingers.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I do not like repairing or building arrows or sharpining broad heads but it needs to be done.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I've got the bur and still no sharp head. Once I work off the bur the head is still dull. The season opened this morning and I can't hunt because I have dull heads. It is really pissing me off.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
The initial proper tool and method should alleviate your pain.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by mathews4ever:
I've got the bur and still no sharp head. Once I work off the bur the head is still dull. The season opened this morning and I can't hunt because I have dull heads. It is really pissing me off.
mathews4ever,

I'm sorry that you're frustrated with the sharpening process.  We are very proud of our Tusker broadhead line up but it just doesn't seem to me that they are a very good fit for you... different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.  Please return them for a full refund or exchange regardless of condition.  If you'd like PM or e-mail me and we can discuss options that might better suit your needs.  We also have a number of pre-sharpened heads available, including Tuskers.

Braveheart Archery
10708 Hickman Heights Rd
Kansas City, MO 64137

[email protected]

Thank you, Tim @ Braveheart
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©