3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate sharpening broadheads  (Read 810 times)

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate sharpening broadheads
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
get a KME BROADHEAD SHARPNER and a large can of wd 40...spray stone heavy....3 minutes bear razor head dull to shaving hair sharp.....Dave

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I had same problem I ordered KME sharp Tusker heads from Braveheart archery and they are sharper than anything I have ever seen right out of box. Now that I see the bevel and tip how it should be (and see that it can actually be done) Im gonna give it another go. Good luck

Ed

And the shipping at Braveheart is quick. I ordered from KustomKing 6 days before Braveheart and both came same day.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
I like sharpening broadheads and knives. That being said, I just got some Zephyr Sasquatch heads and they are shaving sharp right out of the package and I was very happy about it as I am pressed for time lately.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
or use thunderheads or muzzys......both will kill very well with trad gear.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Watch this one from 3Rivers.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
What kind of stone are you using? The KME doesn't do the sharpening, the stone does. KME is just the worlds greatest shapening angle guide. Try an agressive coarse diamond stone to establish a bevel follwed by a medium or fine and then a cardboard or leather strop My experience has been that most people who cant sharpen with any method are usually using way too much pressure "rolling the edge" as fast as its formed.

I like to sharpen- step by step activities like sharpening or reloading ammunition relax me when I am stressed out.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Great offer Tim. The single bevel Tusker Concords I bought from you have been the heads I find I can get the sharpest. It does take a bit of file work but once I strop the head on cardboard look out.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Rada.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Tim, but I do believe that I got it. I was afraid of wrecking them by being to aggressive but I finally broke out the bench mounted belt sander and set an edge. Followed that up with 80, 120, 220, 400, 600, and 800. Got a shaving sharp mirror finish. Thanks for all the tips. We have the best group of guys here on tradgang. I sure am glad that I found this sight.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Have you called KME? Sorry if you did and I missed that, but he spent the time on the phone necessary to help me.  Great guy and great product if you ask me.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Tim, it was really good of you to make that offer... and without condition OR accusation of any kind.  I respect you both as a man and a businessman!!!    :thumbsup:  

Glad to hear you got it worked out in the end, Jeremiah.  Hope your season opener goes great!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
I use a big file like suggested to set the bevel using my KME broadhead sharpener (not the knife sharpener though I have that too). I place the file along side a piece of wood the same thickness as the file so the sharpener sets the same bevel when I switch to the stone. I slide the sharpener sideways along the file, point or heel first along the length of the file. Resist the temptation to apply too much pressure when trying to hog off metal as even a stiff broadhead will flex slightly with too much pressure and mess up your angle at best. Apply too much pressure and you will be hogging metal off the shoulder of the bevel and not the edge. Move to the stones once you've got an edge with the file. I skip the coarse stone because I can get it shaving sharp with the file. Fine stone gets it surgical. KME is the best system I've seen for getting a consistent bevel. Does take some practice though and every broadhead is different.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
I have good luck with two blade heads,but the three blade I  just can't get.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
they are a PITA to sharpen.  I really had to file the heck out of them to get the edge then work them with the kme.  i have one pretty sharp.

anyways i switched to hunor africas. they come shary sharp and i can bring them right back to the sharpness on my kme.  holds a great edge though
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Kendrot:
I use a big file like suggested to set the bevel using my KME broadhead sharpener (not the knife sharpener though I have that too). I place the file along side a piece of wood the same thickness as the file so the sharpener sets the same bevel when I switch to the stone. I slide the sharpener sideways along the file, point or heel first along the length of the file. Resist the temptation to apply too much pressure when trying to hog off metal as even a stiff broadhead will flex slightly with too much pressure and mess up your angle at best. Apply too much pressure and you will be hogging metal off the shoulder of the bevel and not the edge. Move to the stones once you've got an edge with the file. I skip the coarse stone because I can get it shaving sharp with the file. Fine stone gets it surgical. KME is the best system I've seen for getting a consistent bevel. Does take some practice though and every broadhead is different.
That is an awesome tip. I will definitely be using that trick next time.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
anyways i switched to hunor africas.
And what are those a Sliver Flame spin off?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
Tuskers are a b______d to get sharpened initially. I've used them to good effect once they were sharp, though.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Braveheart will get more of my business!

Way to go Tim.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
Braveheart will get more of my business!

Way to go Tim.
x2

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hawkeye:
Tim, it was really good of you to make that offer... and without condition OR accusation of any kind.  I respect you both as a man and a businessman!!!     :thumbsup:    

Glad to hear you got it worked out in the end, Jeremiah.  Hope your season opener goes great!
Right on!  :thumbsup:
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©