3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Gator!!!!  (Read 1214 times)

Trad Gator!!!!
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Well I got to knock another one off my bucket list! I got to go alligator hunting in Brazoria county this week. I started my hunt at about 9:00am on a piece of land that was used for rice farming and a bass fishing club. The rice fields were surrounded by canals and the 3 lakes were all very low due to the drought. My hunt started with me getting out of the car to meet my guides who told me "Look, there is a 7-8 footer right therein that canal" (the canal was about 20yds from where I parked). My guides also told me that 7-8 footers were common for this property, but if I wanted a bigger one, we were going to have to look around and see if we could find one. They also told me they thought they knew where a 9+ foot gator was and that we would go look for him first.

The 9+ gator was hanging out in a canal several hundred yards from where we met and that is where we went first. We drove by in a truck to see if they could se him. As we drove by he boiled the water and made a beeline to get in a culvert that connected two canals. The guides told me that the gators use the culverts as a hiding spot and that it was common for them to go there. We circled around in the truck, stopped short of the area, and snuck back to the culvert. There he was with his head at the top of the water, just barely sticking out of the culvert. This was cool. Here it was, not 30 minutes into my hunt, and I had already seen a nice gator.

We spent another hour looking around when one of the guides, Joe, came back and said he had found a nice gator in a hole of water out in the middel of one of the almost dried lakes. We snuck into this area and found where he was. He was under water and so we just camped out waiting. It is amazing how long a gator can stay under water on one breath of air. Usually around 50 minutes. We stayed there and waited. Ater about 45 minutes the guide, Bobby, pointed at the water under an overhanging willow tree. Sure enough, he had come up, but I hod no shot. He filled up with air and sunk back into the murky water. We waited and waited and he never came back up. the guides decided that he must have had a tunnel back into the bank with an air pocket. After an hour and forty five minutes we gave up and went looking elsewhere.

We went back to the culvert where we had seen the first gator and he was still there but would not come out of that culvert. So we then took a break and had lunch.

After lunch, Joe decided he was going to ride around on the 4 wheeler to some different areas and see what he could find. Bobby and I hung out by the culvert playing cat-and-mouse with the 9 footer. Bobby then got a phone call from Joe saying he had found a 8+ footer in a canal and we should come over there. We got in the truck and not one minute later Joe calls again saying he found an even bigger one. We changed plans and went to this spot.

This was in the very corner of the same lake we had tried for the gator under the willow tree before lunch. We arrived and Joe said there was a nice gator that had come up right under a small pier in the shade. I set up on another small pier and waited. After about 30 minutes he surfaced, right under the pier, with the framework of the pier right in the way. I had no shot and after a few seconds he sunk back into the murky water. We waited again and the next time he came up he had moved of to our left, very close to the bank, but was again in a spot where I could not shoot him. I repositioned out to the end of the longest pier which would give me a shot if he came up near that spot again.

Bobby decided he was going to go look at a nearby canal (about 100yds away). I was gazing around and all of a sudden there he was! He came back up in the exact same spot he had the last time. I wasted no time in drawing back and loosing a bowfishing arrow at him. The arrow hit the water and there was a commotion. Next thing I knew, my arrow was swimming around and geting deeper until it disappeared under the water. I had hit him and had a fishing arrow in him! He went to the bottom and stopped.

The guides quickly came back and confirmed that I had hit the gator. We then rigged up another fishing arrow. When he came back up the next time I shot again but bounced this one off his head. He went back down to the bottom. The next time he came up I was able to put the second fishing arrow in him. Now it was time to start with broadheads!

The guides told me of a spot near the back of the head that I needed to put a broadhead to quickly dispatch the giant beast. The next time we got him up to the top I shot. He went to move as I let go and I missed the spot. This alligator went nuts and I though he was going to come out of the water and eat all three of us! It took a couple more shots but I finally got that "spot".

After he was done for, it took all we had to get him out of the water and up on dry land. This was a giant in my book! I had no idea he was as big as he was until we got him out of the water. We put a measuring tape to him and it taped out at 11' 1". We weighed him and that total was 390 pounds.

I had an awesome time on this hunt! Thanks again, Bobby and Joe! Y'all really know your gators. The cool thing about this was it was all trad bowhunting/bowfishing. There were no hook lines and there was no bang-stick or shotgun used.

See y'all later,

Bisch

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gator!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
:scared:  

:clapper:  

Thats awesome!
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Awesome man. Congrats.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Now that is something! Are you going to have the hide tanned?

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Congrats guy! I just got back from working in Brazoria. I saw a couple small Gators while working there, what river is that you are hunting in? Do you live close by? I'll be back down there in a month or so for a couple months.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Another great hunt for you. Congrats

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
wow!   thats a couple pairs a boots there.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I am going to have the hide tanned but do not have a clue after that. I'm thinking I may just leave it whole and try to make some kind of rug type thing out of it. I was told if you want boots/wallets/purses/shoes you should stay with the smaller gators (7'-8') as the hides are way better. I am having a euro mount done with ths skull and I am going to be eating gator till I'm blue in the face (looks like I got a real neat X-Mas present idea thing going too). The guide told the processor to keep the back plate and the feet too. Any experienced gator guys got any ideas for those?

I was hunting on private property where there were rice field canals, creeks and 3 large (but very low due to drought) bass fishing lakes. This gator was in one of the lakes.

Bisch

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Nice gator Bisch.. congratulations
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  very cool
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I don't know, but you're going to have a lot of leather to work with. So they're leaving the belly solid, right? You could make an awesome ottoman or 3 out of part of it. I think I'd definitely make a couple of different style quivers.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Congrats!  How does gator taste?

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by RM81:
Congrats!  How does gator taste?
I do not know yet. Mine is at a processor. I was told by several people that it is excellent. I hope so because my guide said I would probably have 150# or more meat off of this gator.

Bisch

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Nice job!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
That gator is huge! Awesome job!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
How cool is this?.....Way!!....I'm saying....

Congratulations!!

I admit that I was surprised that your 1st two arrows were fishing arrows.

Is there a reason that you started with fishing arrows?

Logically I am thinking that a fishing arrow with some strong line would give you a method to retrieve him once he was dispatched.

Great job and great story w/pictures.

The gator I've eaten was excellent but then again yours may taste even better seeing as how you shot your own..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Mudd, the fishing arrow has a 400# test line attached to the broadhead. With a couple of these arrows in the gator you can control him to some degree. If you just shot him with a broadhead arrow first you would probably never see him again. I am convinced after this experience that a one arrow kill on a large gator would be a once in a million thing. I have never seen animal as tough as this thing was.

Bisch

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
GREAT JOB BISCH!!! Does Bob KNOW you're shooting that BOB LEE ?? Good Times  :biglaugh:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by GANDGOLF:
GREAT JOB BISCH!!! Does Bob KNOW you're shooting that BOB LEE ?? Good Times   :biglaugh:  
Yeah, that is my bowfishing rig. He knows it and probably won't talk to me for a week or so till I go kill something with his bow again (haha).

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©