3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling Elk  (Read 221 times)

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling Elk
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I cant believe how much fun it is to call elk in with a bugle. The other morning Elknutz and I went out on a morning elk hunt he told me to take the lead on the walk in so I went to put my arrow on the string and some how the broadhead touched the string and that was it bow down with no back up. So I got to be the caller, normaly I don't get to call because the other guys I hunt with are really good with a bugle and me not so much In the past I've stuck with my hyper lip single cow call. But that morning it was all me. We set up and started calling we got a bugle back. He wouldn't come in so we kept moving towards him until he couldn't handle it and he came in to kick my but. He came into 10-12 yards from the shooter with me close behind he never did present a good shot but WOW how exiting!! one more step and he would have been hanging in camp, thats ok though all the fun without all the work of packing. I'll be practicing that bugle a lot this year Im hooked...
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling Elk
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
It is without a doubt, the most adrenaline filled hunting... love it!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I used to put my extra string in a small plastic sandwich bag and fold it and then tape it to my bow under the handle on the belly. I now always carry it in my butt pack. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
When I replace a bow string, I put the old one in a baggie and place in my pack for a back up.  It has the nock set in place and has the stretch out of it.  It is ready to go in an emergency situation.  String it and go.  
New strings take time to get the stretch out of them.  Don't throw the old one away.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Darren (Elktalker) did a great job of working this bull.  He had around 8 to 12 cows and just wouldn't leave them.  He kept talking and moving so we continued to push him and keep the pressure on.  After several set ups we figured it was time for him to put up or shut up so we moved right into his cows and then Darren screamed hard at him.  It worked like a charm and he immediately came in screaming about the butt whupping he was fixing to put on this interloper.  I had set up in a spot with a good shooting lane directly up hill of me and one on the side if he tried to swing downhill and downwind.  Unfortunately he decided to come straight in and started to push between two firs with his head down.  He froze when he pushed through at about 12yds and I had my bow up but it was just a terrible angle, quartered severely towards me. So after a short stand off, he spun around, went out to about 40yds and stopped broadside but thats a bit farther than I am willing to shoot.  After a bit the cows started milling around and talking and the bull moved them up and away and it was over.  It was a great hunt and bringing them in close like that is magical.  I've often told Darren I would rather call a bull in close than shoot one.  He is starting to believe me I think.  Course, theres nothing wrong shooting them either, just didn't happen this time. What started out as a terrible morning for him ended up being fantastic for us both!
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
That is the essence of elk hunting right there!Man I wish I were back in the mountains chasing them.
Jeff Couture

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Darren and Charles,  Sounds like you both had a great time anyway, after the poor start (nicked string sucks). But now you both have a hunt that will be with you, in your memory forever. Good stuff, guys.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Darren I am glad of your thrilling experience,but a spare bowstring....!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©