3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat whiskers can be bad.....  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cat whiskers can be bad.....
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Cat whiskers can be bad for a string if not installed correctly...just recently it has been brought to our attention (thank you) a problem involving cat whiskers that some people prefer to tie themselves that can cause a string to wear prematurely at the tie on points.

Hopefully you can see in picture the premature wear due to the rubber sliding to one side of the string because of the string's ocsillation.  The material used to tie the cat whisker on, was rubbing against the string each time it is shot fraying the string material. (I hope this makes sense) I took this picture before taking the string apart to further investigate.

Please make sure that when you tie cat whiskers on that the whiskers completely surround the string and protect it from abrasion and they are tied tightly but not too tight as to damage the string material.

Ryan (S2 Bowstrings) did a great video on how tie on cat whiskers.

I still prefer Hush Puppies or some kind of puffs (IMHO) to cat whiskers, they seem to be easier on the string, but to each their own.

Hope this helps everyone and in the future.

God Bless,  Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat whiskers can be bad.....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I took the cat whiskers off one my strings and immediately gained 20fps. Reinstalled puffs and only lost 3fps. Quieter too.  :archer:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
One by one, I am relieving all of my Hill and Hill style bows of anything on the string except the nocking point.

I can't tell much difference.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I used to use cat whiskers, but went to yarn wool puffs. The reason I switched is because the puffs made less bow noise than the cat whiskers upon arrow release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
A big ditto to Night Wing's post above   :thumbsup:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I use cat whiskers but I put the between the  string and tie a little serving or dental floss just for added hold but nothing like the photo  . Really I could just put them between the string and let it be like I do beaver balls .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I agree with Night Wing. And yarn is cheap. I got a spool of camo yarn at walmart for very little. It should last a lifetime.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Yarn or some kind of hair balls. Nothing tied on.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Pierre. Sounds like it could cause a bad problem.
  :eek:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Never had a problem with my heavy duty Catwhiskers. I cut them 7", fold them over, tie a tight granny knot. Then I pull down each side and cut to my desired length.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Been using catwhiskers forever....no problems.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
I bare-shaft matched a fellow once who had three sets of rubber spiders on his string. Everything we tried shot stiff until we got way low in spine. We took off the rubber and spine went up 20#!! Too much weight on the string can really rob performance from the bow. I use the lightest weight silencers I can get by with.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I am glad I don't tie on my catwhiskers like this.
James Kerr

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
I use a combo of some whiskers inside an alpaca wool ball, inserted between the string with light wraps above and below to keep them from sliding when bow is unstrung.  I hope this won't cause and issue.  I could probably eliminate the whiskers, but they really quieted the bow I just put an SBD string on.  The old skinny string was still very noisy when I got the bow.  This morning I shot and the arrow slipping into a really beat up glen del buck vitals made more noise than the bow.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
That's a new one on me--I've been using, selling, and installing cat whiskers for years and years and seen thousands of sets in use.  

I wonder if there was some super glue or something similar involved that got into the string?  I tie mine on as tight as I can get them, no wear whatsoever.  Something weird going on or this would have been noticed long ago.

Like anything else, they have to be used properly for them to work properly.  One small set, properly installed and tuned, can work wonders.  A great big set or multiple sets improperly installed won't do much good, and can even add to the noise if left too long--that's the #1 mistake I see made with them.

Chad

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
That was my string. Not sure where I went wrong I followed directions that I got from Ron LeClair I beleive. I folded the cat whiskers over and wrapped them around the string and tied them on with B-50 then cut them to make them nice little round balls. The cat whiskers on the right in the picture are about 1/2 gone. Thats what drew my attention to them problem. I do know that I will never use cat whiskers on a string again. Thanks to Pierre for his help on this.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
I wonder if the B50 was the cause here.  Might have stretched enough to loosen up causing the wear (just a guess).  I always tie mine on with serving thread and have never had any come loose...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I just tie mine on the string in a knot like some others that have posted.  Doesn't look as good, but they work.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Good info
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »
I've used catwhiskers for many years with no problems. I used to split the string and install them and tie them in a knot. Then I saw the S2 video here and have used that on the last three bows. I only use one catwhisker -- 1/2 on each end of the bow about 15" from the limb tip.

I am going to investigate the puff balls a bit though. We used them in the early 70's and they worked fine. I'm going to compare the weight first though.  

Now I'll do a search here and find out how best to make the puff balls because I probably wasn't doing it the best way 40 years ago!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©