3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat whiskers can be bad.....  (Read 2200 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat whiskers can be bad.....
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Never had a problem with them - either wear or speed loss. Put them thru the string and tie in. Top one at the 1/4 position - lower at the 1/3.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
I tie mine on around the string so they can be tuned/adjusted--done it this way for years.

This makes me think of the old string debate--"I once saw a bow with a FF string on it blow up, so I'll never use a FF string!".  Nevermind the thousands (or tens/hundreds of thousands) that use the FF string that never have and never will have a problem.

No doubt something went wrong in the pictures posted.  I know without a doubt the blame doesn't lie just with tied-on cat whiskers--as I said earlier, if that was the case I'd have seen, or at least heard about it years/thousands of strings ago.

Chad

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
That's not the cat whiskers fault....it's the b50 and how it was tied and rubbing on the string!

Another thing that should be commented on is the validity of losing 20 feet per second due to whiskers....WOW, sounds exaggerated!

Lastly, anyone shot their bow with wet puffs or fur silencers? Try the same with cat whiskers and tell me which are better to use during wet seasons? To me, I like to have equipment I can take to the woods regardless of conditions and know it's gonna perform. Cat whiskers are an all around better choice for me!

I should say that I do prefer the silencing ability of puffs or fur, but once wet have no benefit but rather hinder performance....Ryan

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
I wrap the cat whisker around the string until it overlaps over itself, then clothes pin each end.  Then I use bcy 450+ and tie a constrictor knot using gloves to pull tight, followed by a couple of granny knots.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I use a 5" length of an old FF string inserted between the strands about 10" from each end. Doesn't pick up hitchhiker seeds and doesn't get wet. After enough shots it fuzzes out nicely and gets even quieter.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I don't think the B-50 was the culprit.  450+ is made from Dyneema and Vectran--dacron shouldn't be able to damage it.  That is akin to lead cutting steel.

I've tied on silencers using dacron, Dyneema, dental floss, etc. etc. etc.  One seems to work as well as the other, but the last few years I've mainly used 62 Braid or 62XS serving material (it's convenient).

For a 20 fps difference it would normally take a LOT of silencer material--a lot more than should be needed for any bow.  More isn't always better.  Properly installed, cat whiskers will work as well as any silencer and the weight/speed difference is negligable.

Back to the point--I'm not trying to convince anyone to change over to cat whiskers, just that the tied-on cat whiskers alone are not what caused that string to wear.  Could be the way they were installed, could be the way the string was made, could have been faulty string material, or several other things--or a combination of a few things.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?  I've seen some weird things happen with strings, but this one is a first for me.

I'm going to ask Ray Browne at BCY what he thinks could have happened.

Chad

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Whether the actual cause is determined or not, you have successfully made me aware to routinely inspect my string in these subject areas.

Thank you, Pierre!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I am happy with cat whiskers and have used them on all my bows. Luckily for me my longbow only needs nine short strands to be quiet. My recurves required those big gobs I see others sometimes use, in pairs. I am checking the string now though, so thanks for that.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
This is a problem that I have seen many times. When we use B50 we don't see the problem nearly as much as with FF. Of course making sure that the rubber is protecting the string is the most important aspect of avoiding this problem, but they do move sometimes and it happens. It's worth knowing about and keeping an eye on.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Intersting never would have thought.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Since I use SBD strings, I don't use silencers anymore!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Ive never had a problem with the whiskers. I like the wool also.
SL

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I agree with Stickflinger regards weather. . . that has been my concern for yarn or balls.  Also- at least most places I hunt -the yarn/balls/fur become a stick-tight/burr mess.  Good info from many here though. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Been using cat whiskers forever ... never had a problem unless I stuffed up installing them.

I'll continue to use them with confidence.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with cat whiskers.
They have been in use for many years by thousands of archers and this is the first time I have heard of any problem.
I will continue to use them as they are the best silencer in my opinion.

John

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
I have used them for around thirty years with no problem, I just tie them arond the string with an overhand knot pulled tight and then cut to desired length, no b50 or anything else. Never had a problem. I dont know about speed loss, I dont have any intrest in chronographs, My bow shoots where I look, so I am not going stress over a few fps

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I have tested speed thru a chrono many times and have never seen anything close to a 20fps speed loss. I have found nearly no difference in speed between rubber cat whiskers and puffs.
John

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
I've used catwhiskers exclusively until I started using the Black Widow spiders... just because they work and they come with the strings that I order.  

But I've never had any problems with Catwhiskers.  None.  I won't use yarn puffs because they pick up water.  If I ever quit using the BW spiders, I'll go back to Catwhiskers.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
It takes around 180-200 grs of added arrow weight reduce speed 20 fps.Silencers are like adding weight to an arrow.Most silencers I've weighed were app. 30 grs per pair.It would take a lot of silencer to weigh 180 grs..

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
The  Montana  I bought Brandly-New from  Lost Nation  came with Cat Whiskers already mounted on the String!!  :thumbsup:    NO  Complaints Here!!  :archer:  
   Lost Nation  is A Great Supplier and an Awsome Family of Folks!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©