3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buyer Beware!  (Read 404 times)

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Buyer Beware!
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I just found out that my colorado elk license is invaled in the unit that I am hunting.The person that sold it to me told me it was good in that unit. After getting home and studying the reg's I decided to call Colorado F&G.They told me that I would have been in violation but no way could I get a refund even though it wasn't my fault.All that I can say is study the reg's and know what you want don't just take their word for it.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buyer Beware!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Most license selling agents are just that. Few of them have any knowledge of the rules, regs, tag types or areas. That is the responsibility of the hunter.  Good advice in reading and CYA.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that, typical state agency, good at collecting and poor at paying out. Hope you have better luck next time.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I'm sorry if this comes across a little harsh but how can you possibly blame the agent?  This was your responsibility to study the regs B4 you got your license.  Face it and accept it - you screwed up.  

We have in the past gotten refunds from a license but only when we shot a CWD positive elk and it was prompt and courteous.

We have always been treated exceptionly well by every Colorado DOW employee we have encountered in 22 years of hunting elk during the archery season.

We always buy our licenses at a Walmart and would in no-way expect the clerk in the sporting goods department to know 'anything' about the regs.  9 times out of 10 we have to tell 'them' what all we need.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
I'm sorry if this comes across a little harsh but how can you possibly blame the agent?  This was your responsibility to study the regs B4 you got your license.  Face it and accept it - you screwed up.  

We have in the past gotten refunds from a license but only when we shot a CWD positive elk and it was prompt and courteous.

We have always been treated exceptionally well by every Colorado DOW employee we have encountered in 22 years of hunting elk during the archery season.

We always buy our licenses at a Walmart and would in no-way expect the clerk in the sporting goods department to know 'anything' about the regs.  9 times out of 10 we have to tell 'them' what all we need.
What he said...been there, done that bought the T-shirt
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
That's to bad. Sorry to hear it!
Glenn

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I see it differently.  If I'm paying for a service, especially for what an elk tag costs, I expect to get what I'm paying for.  They get paid to do their job CORRECTLY.  I'm not going to medical school to be sure the doc gives me the right medicines--that's whay I pay him for.  IMO you just got ripped off.

Chad

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Buyer be Informed.

You really expect the person working behind the counter at Wal-Mart or where ever you purchased your license to know all the Hunting Regulations and units for every season?

A call to the Division of Wildlife can clear things up and ultimatley you as the hunter are responsible to know where you are hunting.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Ditto what Chad (LBR)just said. It's a crock of elk dung that you got shafted and the folks who sold the license morally owe you an apology & a refund.

Here in MS the regs vary widely from region to region,national forrest vs. WMA vs. Federal preserves vs. Corps of enginners vs. Private land and again all these are subdivided further by regions. I can't keep up and there is almost know way for a non-resident to follow. Besides much of it changes year to year. The ONLY way to know is to call whatever agency manages the properties local office - and even then the wardens, managers, etc. Will often contradict each other. Proving even they cannot comprehend or keep up! I feel for you brother. It's just one more way the government proves their ignorance. Along with, of course, their selling agents.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Nobody has a clue here about the details. Some kid at Walmart may not be a good representation of what happened. Instead of going this route, lets take it as Leonard meant this thread to be...
Do your research first before committing. He got burnt and is offering his misfortune for us to learn from.
Lets do that. Thanks, Leonard, I for one will keep my attention up. Sorry to hear of your mishap.
David M. Conroy

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I see it differently. If I'm paying for a service, especially for what an elk tag costs, I expect to get what I'm paying for. They get paid to do their job CORRECTLY. I'm not going to medical school to be sure the doc gives me the right medicines--that's what I pay him for. IMO you just got ripped off.
I have to agree with this but in the same breath it's your responsibility to check it out and not take the word of an outfitter..I can only assume you live pay check to pay check like 80% of us do and had to take time off from work,save for this ect ect. All I can say is an other degree is earned from the "School of Hard Knocks"
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I think its funny how some of you complain about the govt and then suggest they take care of you by doing all the thinking for you- all in the same breath at that.

I think it is a bad break, and I wish it didn't happen to you, but ultimately responsibility is at our feet.
Expecting a clerk to assume the role of an expert, like a doctor, is NOT what they are paid (by someone else) 8 bucks an hour for.
They are paid to make transactions.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Actually the people selling you the tags are rarely the people who are getting the money. As others have mentioned most of the folks who are selling the licenses are barely trained and are typically retail clerks.

I have hunted a lot of different states and the only time I have not had to completely walk them through the entire process is when I have been able to do it online myself.

It is too bad you have to eat the tag particularly on something as expensive as an out of state elk tag  :scared: .

Sorry for your trouble!

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Took me a few years to figure out how to avoid all the problems associated with buying tags at the mass merchant but this works like a charm. Stop in at any Colorado DOW office. Fast, accurate, and polite. Won't do it any other way.

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
If you told them where you were going to be hunting and they still gave you the wrong tag, that's on them. They print out tags with information you give them. If everything you told them was correct I can't see how they can get away with not refunding your money.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I work for a government agency and I am calling BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! on that response by the state.  You got either a truly stupid or lazy employee  Their second hand representative sold you the wrong tag for your unit.  You need to escalate to about three levels above the Jack A$$ you dealt with.  I and all of my coworkers provide excellent customer service to all of our customers.  Any employee who responded in that manner to a customer when our representative blew it would be fired post haste.

Yes you need to read the rules, yes you should be able to direct the mimimum wage part time zombie at the counter thru what you need.  Is the state free and clear from their failed system, failed customer service, and failed process.  NO!  They need to step up and sell you the license you need and use what you paid to cover the costs.   I would not let this sit.  If necessary I would raise hell all the way to the director, comissioners, and the governor.  Just rolling over on this allows them to keep ripping people off.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:
I think its funny how some of you complain about the govt and then suggest they take care of you by doing all the thinking for you- all in the same breath at that.
Joshua
I think you misunderstand the dissenting opinion sir. I also see you grossly underestimate the intelligence of those you have not made acquaintance. I would add, I do not see anything remotely "funny" in any of the replies and implying that anyone of a different opinion suggested the government take care of them is an insult. God bless you, hope you never suffer an injustice at the hands of another's ignorance or indifference, especially when you were given their word.

One final remark, nothing prevented the agent from answering "I do not know". Also, it has been assumed that the agent was a minimum wage clerk, which is entirely possible. It is also entirely possible, as has been in my case, that the agent was considered to be the expert. My previous post attempted to point out that some game regs are so convoluted as to be almost uninterpretable and egregiously misleading - even to those who enforce the laws. That is the government's design and hence their responsibility is to provide clarity and/or resolution for it's constituents.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Similar experience, but it was my fault, totally. We just decided to hunt where I was legal. We had a great time anyway.

Great advice tho - study the regs, until you are sure of what you want.

I was told I could change the license if I requested it prior to the season starting. Too late for you to do that, I am sure.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Colorado should be able to clear up the problem if you go up the food chain far enough. Glad to be in Minnesota where they will correct license errors without having to jump through hoops

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
sorry to hear this!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©