3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOCUS..and the ADD Archer  (Read 164 times)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
FOCUS..and the ADD Archer
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
I've been know to be a bit slow on the uptake in addition to being genuinely ADD.   This might not be a revelation for most of you, but it is a big deal for me.  I have, after about four years, just gotten to the point where I know that the arrow is going exactly where I look.  No matter how you do it that takes a lot of practice, but for me it had to happen in a certain way.  

I just can't focus for very long on the same target, or for a lot of arrows.  I need to shoot in groups of 3 or 4 arrows, 4 to 5 groups and then STOP.   The do the same again later in the day, at least 3 times a day. On weekends, 5-6 times.  

Quality over quantity.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOCUS..and the ADD Archer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Actually thats about how I practice. You also don't want to get in a rhythm. Hunting is about placing one arrow where it needs to go. And practicing like you say stops bad habits from forming.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Sounds like effective practice. Keep at it.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Interesting topic.

I'm not trying to be wise, but I am not sure if you are looking for a conversation from others or just wanted to point out some of your experiences.

FWIW, I currently have a student with ADD (not ADHD). He works very hard at archery and is coming along slowly but steadily. Steadily increasing is much more important than the time to takes to get there. People who progress very fast often hit peaks that they cannot break out of which can be extremely frustrating.

If you are looking for help in advancement then ask away (maybe on the shooting forum). If you are fine with your shooting then I am truly glad and congratulate you. For what I have heard and have experienced, what you have learned, which may have been a struggle, will stay with you much longer then the ordinary person mainly because you have had to work much harder and for longer periods for your achievements.

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©