3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MO Deer Season Thread  (Read 4682 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MO Deer Season Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Sitting here at work waiting to leave at 4. Hunted last year quite a bit and didn't get to even pull the string back. It's tough down in S central MO. Big woods and no crops. Got a week off last of Oct / first of Nov.

I have hunted about 6 mornings so far and have seen one deer.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I set out there for three days and didn't see anything but a few tree rats. A full moon sucks.
I walked to the stand without a light and hour before day light. Tomorrow is a hiney do day. Ho Boy  :banghead:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
well im a little late posting this but here i am. I iwent out last moday night after work, got to my stand alittle late, I sat until 630 when i heard them coming through the cedar thicket to my right. three does came toward me and the biggest one offered me a 3 yard shot quartering away, after the shot she only went 30 yards before going down. Shot her with my Black Creek Siren 55#@28"
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Congrats Lonnie, Man I'd like one of them 3 yard shots.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »

:)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
aught-oh sombody spilled somthin.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Wow! Saw the most deer in one sit that I have seen in a couple of years around here 1 buck, 6 does and 2 yearlings. Had to move my treestand about 30 yards as they have been taking the same route the last two times I have set this stand.

Lets see the rest of the story non-typical.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
  •  

• This was the 3rd of 3 does that came by my stand about 8. I thought I had made a bad shot on her as she was standing still then just as I went to release she made a turn to her right and took a step and the arrow entered high and just above her left hip and leg..she kind of shivered..walked 20 yards...paused and then folded up.
    When I field dressed her I found the broadhead (Magnus 2 blade) had come in high and sliced her left backstrap, continued on through her liver virtually splitting it in half like a piece of cordwood and exited out on a pass-through. Initiated my Shawnee in fine fashion.
    She's boned out and in the chill box now with the help of my Jack Russell. Did you know a Jack Russell can eat it's weight in fat trimmings and meat scraps and still want to play? That and drag a deer head around the yard for hours on end. Pretty low-tech excitment here on the farm.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Hunted yesterday morning and evening.

Saturday morning had a 4 pointed come by me within bow range. However, I was in Pike County and they have an Antler Point restriction of at least 4 on one side. So he got the pass.

That evening I saw 5 deer, 4 does and 1 nice 8 pointer, but they wouldn't come any closer than 50 yards and eventually headed up the ridge the other way.

I need to move that stand abut 30 yards closer to where they cross.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Passed a doe yesterday AM at 14 yds, somethin didn't feel right and she was walkin steady, goin somewhere. Then the 3rd fawn came along dawdlin behind....

Headed to my most fave stand in a minute, where the deer exit the swampy beddin area.  Hope they are ready to move tonite!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
nice doe, non-typical.    congratts!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
finally some deer huntin weather this week.........oooh..yah..! down into the 30's a few nights,  and some very much needed rain.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Yeah were gonna have some nice weather to hunt in now!!  I have hunted nearly every day since I last posted a month ago.  Had a few close calls, passed a few small bucks and have seen a bunch of SKUNKS!!  The dang things are everywhere it seems this year!!  I've almost got sprayed on 2 occasions!  Makes me wonder how many are gonna end up in my coon traps this year?
Have others seen a lot of skunks or am I the lucky one?
TIM B

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
yep, ive seen a bunch hit on the roads. must be mating season.....?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I had a very exciting hunt last night.  No arrows loosed but I had a real pretty 8 pointer come in at dusk and hang around for a good long time.  He was about 25 yards but no shot...that is until it got totally black.  He moved right over to me and stood there for an eternity, pinning me down!  I sat there in the dark for a long time but he was apparently fascinated watching my son get down from his stand about 60 yards away.  After 10 minutes of hearing only a couple of the smallest sounds I finally decided he'd ghosted out on me, so I stood up.  Mistake!  The bugger was still there and blew out of there then.  Very exciting, but disappointing I was trying hard not to tip the stand location off.  Maybe he didn't know what I was.  Anyway I know my scent control seems to be working!   :jumper:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Tim, they are the best at doin just that ,eh!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I had a great time in the timber this evening.  I tried out a new spot near a small pond and had plenty of things to watch.  The squirrels were putting on quite a show, as were the woodpeckers.  As I was daydreaming, about 15 turkeys came to the pond on a dead run.  I didn't get a shot because I spooked them as usual.  Shortly afterwards, a small deer came to the pond to drink.  I watched it for a while then 2 nice does came down the hill.  I was able to connect with the lead doe making her my first for the season.  Making the evening even more special, I field dressed her with a custom knife my dad had made for me.  It was one of the last Christmas presents I got from him before he went to the Happy Hunting Grounds.  Equip; 50# Black Forest longbow, Easton Gamegetter arrow, 125 gr.Wensel Woodsman broadhead.
Not the best picture but here ya go.

NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Good job Jim!

The bucks are starting to move around a little more here, saw a 120ish 8 pt last nite at 60 yds, he wasn't interested in anything I said to him tho....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©