3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MO Deer Season Thread  (Read 4678 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: MO Deer Season Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Good deal! My vacation plan went to crap, but this rain should be a good thing when it clears out!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Well after a long dry spell I finally had some deer around me 4 does and a decent buck. Unfortunately they never got close enough for a shot. Things should be heating up this weekend and next week.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
:jumper:    My vacation starts today and I plan to hunt till I can't hunt no more!     :archer2:
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Go get em Jim!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I shot this one this AM, he was chasin a full grown doe!

Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Had a doe almost walk into my setup tonight at 5:20. While she was 35 yards away a 2.5 year old, 7 point came from the opposite direction at 7:25 and walked through all of my shooting lanes. Then he chased the doe away.

Ten minutes later I could hear a buck fight going on a few hundred yard away over a hill. While that was going on a 1.5 year old 6 point followed the same path as the 7 point and he -the 6 point- also walked through all my shooting lanes.

The buck fight lasted for 20 minutes. I thought about getting out of the tree and trying to sneak up on them, but I couldn't make myself leave my perch since two deer had already walked by.

Fun night!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
:notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
The time is near Tom!! Things are gonna happen soon...

I forgot to ask about your coat, I'm gonna check on the guys tomorrow and will do it!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
my day in the woods, there were young bucks chasing does till noon, and then it all started again about an hour before dark.

wish i could sit and watch all night long, that would be fun.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Wondering if anyone is hunting down in McDonald County? Will be out hunting in late December (Christmas with family) and wondered how things looked down there. Live in Colorado so scouting can be tough but will go to the usual hides and have a new place that my in-laws moved to that I can't wait to get out on. Good luck to everyone!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Will have a story and some pics later (after I get the wife to get them off the camera card and on the computer) of a pretty decent buck from Crawford County) Cherryville, MO area.

Stay tuned   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Youths are putting a hurting on em today. Will be in the woods tomorrow AM and PM
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
ha! i forgot it was youth weekend, there was shootin all around me, i heard maybe 25 shots, nothin real close though.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I had two bucks out of range this morning and just as bad, this evening I had 4 does 10 to 15 yards in front of me just browsing through.

They were by me pretty quick but hung out on my far right side for a bit.

That was no help for a right handed shooter..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Had a 6pt at about 20 yards but it wasn't quite as light as I would like and I was thinking he was a little farther out. Didn't take a shot but latter after he was gone and it was good and light I drilled the tree he walked behind with a practice arrow. Not seeing much sign of the rut in my corner of the world.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
i had a nice shooter sneak by about 80yds. away down a draw, that was it for the morning then this eve i seen 2 does come across the ridge above me and as i turned around there was a doe that a buck chased to me and she seen me turnaround and took off with the buck chasing her,. then i grunted a few times and here comes a spike down off the ridge but he winded me and turned...tomorrow?

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I took off Oct 28 and hunted almost everyday if I wasn't beat or it wasn't raining. Deer were moving and we were seeing more deer this year than ever before. It's all up and down oak, hickory and cedar with just a few scattered pastures where I hunt. No ag anywhere, just big timber. The toughest hunting around I think.

Caught this guy going side hill on nice overgrown hill that had been pretty heavily logged in 2006.

Heard him first and then saw a flash of antlers and then his legs. He stopped and looked up at me twice but I closed my eyes and he moved right in front of me. I made a good hit but with a lot of arrow sticking out (I'm a notorius short drawer on game) I saw blood appear and he took off a 100 miles per hour thru saplings and overgrown brush. I watched him for a ways and heard him crashing off and then it just stopped.

I waited a 1/2 hour and then went looking. About half the arrow broke off in the first 15 yds. I followed blood and found the broadhead (Woodsman)on the rest of the shaft about 15 yds further. The blood stopped and I looked for new blood for just a bit before I backed out. I was over dressed for walking around and went back to the house to change and give him more time.

I went back about an hour and a 1/2 later and went to the last blood again. I started ahead making arcs looking for new blood. Is that a grey rock ahead? Are those.....

There he was about 15 yds away. I was within 15-20 yds of him before and just didn't see him. I think I was looking for his white belly and no white was showing. I think he must have stopped running when he got out of sight and just fell down, otherwise he would have plowed a furrow the way he was running. He's a pretty good one for down that way. His neck was huge and it was real work getting him out.

Hope these pics aren't too big.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice deer, John. Glad you were able to spend some good time in the woods.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Had a good hunt tonight in the high winds. I didn't feel like I had a good stand set up for tonight, so I grabbed my back pack with seat & rancho safari in it & headed out. I had 5 turkey at 15 yards for 30 min, but they were to my back right, I'm right handed & couldn't get turned for a shot. At about an hour before dark I had a nice 8 cruise by at about 40 yards. I gave him a few grunts but it was so windy I doubt he could hear me. He slowly went on his way, hope to see him again.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Didn't see anything today. I hunted a stand that is on a little finger ridge and the bucks cross a lot at the head. This afternoon I checked out the other side of the property and found 2 fresh scrapes about 10 yards apart with good fresh sign. Will sneak in in the morning and hang a stand and hunt it. I feel good about it. It is on a side that doesn't get visited much cause it is a bit of work getting in there, so I haven't been in there all fall.
I always like my chances the first time I hunt a spot.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©