3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What poundage do you guy shoot for hunting?  (Read 935 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
What poundage do you guy shoot for hunting?
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
The reason why I am asking is I am currently shooting a Samick Sage 30lb. After a month of shooting I decided to move up to 45lb. I purchased FMJ 31" with 75gr insert and 125 grain tip. These arrows weigh roughly 540gr total. Shot some arrows yesterday and notice the arrows started to drop after 25 yards. Anything under 25 yards the arrow shoots pretty flat. My question is, do you guys shoot higher poundage bows to maintain flatter arrow flight? I am not use to seeing the arrows drop like that since switching over from compound. Is it wrong to try to make the arrow fly flat out to 30-40 yards?

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What poundage do you guy shoot for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Both of my bows are 45#. My hunting arrows are 535 grains and I use 2 blade,single bevel broadheads that I sharpened VERY SHARP.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Bottom line...you aren't going to shoot as flat with trad as you do with the wheels. I shoot a 55# recurve. In a sense a higher #'age bow would shoot flatter at longer distances. With that being said you can learn to shoot out to 30+ you just need to "calibrate" yourself to that distance. Don't focus so much on the flatness of the arrow but more on a sharp BH and placing it where it needs to go. But, I shot my first archery deer with a 45# recurve.  The only reason I shoot a higher #'age is because I can do it accuratley and consistantly.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
49-52 for me. 52 early in the season when hot. 49 late when cold.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I hunt with a few longbows.  I have a 30 inch draw and hunt from 54 to 50 pounds depending on the bow.  My arrows are around 570 grains for hunting and lots of 590 grain stumpers.  I use a 2 blade head as well, this year I mostly will be using 125 ace standard.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Most trad bowhunters take their shots at 20 yards and under. A few take them at 25 yards and under.

I've been trad bowhunting since 1964 and I've never taken a shot beyond 22 yards. Most of my shots at game are broadside lung shots between 12-17 yards now.

As for poundage, I bowhunt with the poundage you see in my signature. With these low bow poundages, I have no problems killing and recovering deer, javelina and small feral hogs.

BTW, the most poundage I ever bowhunted with was when I was much younger and my recurve bow then was 44#.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
48lb @ 27in is what i shoot.  i practice out to about 30 or so yards.  My hunting shots are usually under 20 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I guess it is normal to have arrow drop pass 20-25 yards. So if you are trying to shoot instinctively, what reference do you guys use to aim out to 30 or 40 yards? Do you practice enough where it become subconsciously like I do for 15-20 yards? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
60 to 65  with 61 being the one generally grabbed as the go to.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
To answer your question you need to know your releastic objectives.

**Make sure to place the effective hunting range as priority over the long target desires.

For the majority, deer hunting is a 20 yard and under game and for turkeys it is a 15 yard and under game. Sure - there are exceptions.

Perosnally, I shoot 51 to 55#'s as matter of personal preference. My set-ups are flat out to 25 yards, but then I am challenged somewhat beyond that since I run out of site window due to a hi anchor.

We must choose and balance the set-up such that we are most accurate w/i our effective hunting range and utilize a set-up that will deliver more than just minimal lethality.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I shoot 45 lbs at 28 inch and acturla draw is 28 1/2 inch or 46 lbs...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by bolo7735:
I guess it is normal to have arrow drop pass 20-25 yards. So if you are trying to shoot instinctively, what reference do you guys use to aim out to 30 or 40 yards? Do you practice enough where it become subconsciously like I do for 15-20 yards? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Yes, as stated though hunting I shoot max 25 yds and that has to be perfect conditions for that shot. I practice at 30-40 though. Shooting instincively I still look at what I am shooting at but, after practicing at that distance I make the needed adjustments. My mind is the range finder and my eyes are my sights. For me I group about 8" at 35 yards. so when I hunt my shots are roughly 20-25 or closer so I know I am good to go.
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
All my bow are in the 48 to 51 range. Its
worked well for me.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I will be hunting 43# this fall.

Personally, I don't plan on taking a shot with trad gear over 15 yards on game, but I practice out to 25yards.  Yes, there is a definite trajectory difference vs. a compound.  Watching that and practicing that is part of the fun to me.

Thousands of deer have fallen to 45# bows and less over the millenium.

If I were ever to hunt large hogs or other larger game I would work up in weight.

I am shooting the 43# well right now and it will do the trick so that's what I am going with.

Next year I may try to go higher, I may not.  I have shoulder issues.  Shoot what you can consistently put on the mark.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by KodiakMag:

Yes, as stated though hunting I shoot max 25 yds and that has to be perfect conditions for that shot. I practice at 30-40 though. Shooting instincively I still look at what I am shooting at but, after practicing at that distance I make the needed adjustments. My mind is the range finder and my eyes are my sights. For me I group about 8" at 35 yards. so when I hunt my shots are roughly 20-25 or closer so I know I am good to go. [/b]
That is basically what I am working on, shooting 30-40 yards for practice to sharpen my shooting skills. I am a new hunter. I only taken down 2 hogs this year but on compound. Both under 20 yards. With the compound being so fast I never notice a arrow drop unless I am shooting pass 50 yards plus. This recurve is all new to me. I would not take a shot if I do not feel confident it will be a kill shot.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
The further it flies the harder it will be to find. My shots on game are anywhere from a few feet to maybe 20 yards at the outside. My last kill was an Elk at 8 feet. 50# is plenty for just about anything. 45# is ideal.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
50# recurve with 477gr arrow. I limit my shots to 20yds and under.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by KodiakMag:

Yes, as stated though hunting I shoot max 25 yds and that has to be perfect conditions for that shot. I practice at 30-40 though. Shooting instincively I still look at what I am shooting at but, after practicing at that distance I make the needed adjustments. My mind is the range finder and my eyes are my sights. For me I group about 8" at 35 yards. so when I hunt my shots are roughly 20-25 or closer so I know I am good to go. [/b]
That is basically what I am working on, shooting 30-40 yards for practice to sharpen my shooting skills. I am a new hunter. I only taken down 2 hogs this year but on compound. Both under 20 yards. With the compound being so fast I never notice a arrow drop unless I am shooting pass 50 yards plus. This recurve is all new to me. I would not take a shot if I do not feel confident it will be a kill shot. [/b]
Then you are on the right track. Practice drawing and letting down too, don't feel like you have to shoot all the time. We don't have let off and forcing to hold at full draw will screw you up. To me 6" groups at 20 yds is sufficient for deer, the lungs are a big target. However, I feel much better when I get sub 4" groups at 20 (good thing I've shot all summer  :) ). Confidence is a game winner or loser.
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©