3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What poundage do you guy shoot for hunting?  (Read 938 times)

Re: What poundage do you guy shoot for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
I shoot 50# @ my draw length with arrows that weigh 517gr. Even my arrows start to have more drop out past 25yds. But, I NEVER TRY TO SHOOT AN ANIMAL AT THAT DISTANCE!!!! My, and probably most experienced trad hunter, normal hunting shot is somewhere around 10-15yds.

Bisch

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
The further it flies the harder it will be to find. My shots on game are anywhere from a few feet to maybe 20 yards at the outside. My last kill was an Elk at 8 feet. 50# is plenty for just about anything. 45# is ideal.
Reminds me of my deer 2 years ago. 5 ft measured. That was about the hardest shot I've ever made lol.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Its more a matter of group size than how flat a bow shoots. At about 25 yds I can shoot 8 inch groups 90% of the time so thats my max yardage. At 30 its more like 12 to 14". With compound, pins and peep it was 6" at 40(20 yrs ago). I try to set up to give myself a 15 to 20 yds shot when hunting for more certain chance of making a clean kill.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
When I was a few years younger 85 to 96 pounds. I was hoping to use my 64 pounders this year, but a blown lower rib and a herniated dics in my lower thorax is going push me down to my 52 pound Robertson longbows.

Offline Hard Times

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I shoot 56# to 63#,as for trajectory, there really is no such thing as "flat". All arrows have have a trajectory path,no matter what bow they are shot from. Some are not as extreme as others, especially at short yardage. I have buddy's that shoot wheels and when we shoot together, their arrows drop off rather quickly too. They don't notice it as much because they are looking through a peep sight at pins that have been calibrated for that distance, but if you stand behind them and watch the arrow you will see the drop ( obviously more at longer distances). The challenge of Trad is to be able to calibrate your mind to the tracjectory of your setup regardless of the drop, and do it consistantly.

Rod

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I understand what you are saying I switched again to trad last year.  I have to watch my self and expectations.  I think the part of trad that I like the most is the arch.  I can actually see my arrows again.  With shooting almost every day for the past 18 months I am holding a 6 to 8 inch group at 25 yards.  After that my eyesight is probably my biggest problem.  I have worked up from 48 to 58 lbs and my draw length  has increased also about 2.5 inches over the last 18 months.  I shoot  about 9 grains per lb pull.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hard Times:
I shoot 56# to 63#,as for trajectory, there really is no such thing as "flat". All arrows have have a trajectory path,no matter what bow they are shot from. Some are not as extreme as others, especially at short yardage. I have buddy's that shoot wheels and when we shoot together, their arrows drop off rather quickly too. They don't notice it as much because they are looking through a peep sight at pins that have been calibrated for that distance, but if you stand behind them and watch the arrow you will see the drop ( obviously more at longer distances). The challenge of Trad is to be able to calibrate your mind to the tracjectory of your setup regardless of the drop, and do it consistantly.

Rod
I just thought about it and you are correct. The sight corrects the arrow trajectory. That is why I don't notice it so much. I guess I was going about the wrong way as comparing the traditional to the compound arrow flight.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
i shoot 65# and my whisperstik zipps an arrow!  as far as distance and trajectory goes i think my arrow drops a good bit past 25 yards (700+ grain arrow) and i shoot a lot at fourty and fifty yards but i wouldn't ever try to kill an animal at that distance.... being close is what bowhunting is all about for me and a stick bow takes it to another level.

killed two year last year. one at 4 and the other at 7 yards.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
For me it's a 50# long bow and 623 grain arrows.  My prefered range is 12-23 yards.  For elk, its out to about 30 yards.  Most trad bows have a sharp change in trajectory past 25-30 yards.  In shooting farther it just takes a higher familiarity with your setup and practice.
I digress, but it you are a deer hunter 10-20 yards is realistiic, and maybe out to 30 if you are good.  I have a 45# Tomahawk long bow that shoots just as fast as my 50#.  45# is great!!
If i could pick one poundage for all game for the rest of my life, it would be 45.  Use a very sharp broadhead though--I love 2 blade stingers, zwickeys, and zephyrs.--Happy hunting.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm 64 years old and shoot a 61# Recurve w/585gr. arrows,Snuffer heads. I prefer 20-25 yd shots but have a much further effective range .

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
75#-90#@28" w/700+ grain wood arrows that fly flat to 30 yards. Plenty admire your effort to 45#.  Bunch of good help here. Good hunting.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I currently shoot a 57# at 28" MAII---2117 arrows cut to 29 1/4" to BOP,fletched with three 5 inch feathers and tipped with 4-blade Zwickey Deltas.  I use a Jo-Jan or multi-fletcher and full helical setting.  I use a parabolic cut which I burn on my Young Trimmer and they are a little higher than the "chopper" cuts.  I shot one of these arrows completely through a 298 pound mulie cutting ribs on both sides and using this same bow.

Joe

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
47-59 lbs

Depending on the kind of hunting I'm doing
I use Stingers and Snuffers.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
44-65lbs depending on my mood.....mainly to change my luck!

:^)

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
If you can easily handle more, increase your weight and don't stop simply because you hit some average sufficient weight.  There is a definate advantage with shooting heavier weight bows.  But keep in mind there is a tremendous difference in how effecient bows are, so bow poundage is a poor indicator of overall performance and shootability.  I have a hybrid 65# that is nearly equal to my 80# Hill style.

With the heavier weights you can usually achieve better penetration and trajectory.  In shooting 3D, I felt like the 65# gave me a huge advantage because of the flatter trajectory.  If you think you are getting flat trajectory with a 45# try going up 20#.  Flatter trajectory means a larger margin of error when shooting at unknown distances (hunting) which should increase accuracy assuming it is a comfortable weight.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I have a 45# bow.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
47# for me with 525 grains. Plenty of power and speed for deer.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
You should shoot as much weight as you can confortably shoot.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I shoot as much weight as I can, without giving up accuracy. Which these days is about 58lbs @29 inches. If I could shoot a heavier bow as accurate I would.

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Im with TD Hunter on this.  My bows all go rd 60lbs at my draw although the Dryad will peak out at rd 67lbs.  I shoot as heavy as I can to get the heaviest arrow I can downrange.  I really just shoot for a speed somewhere around 170 to 175fps and shoot the heaviest arrow I can at that speed.  That speed seems to be what my brain has calibrated at.  Right now thats a 670gr arrow.
Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©