3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Perfect Michigan Bear Hunt Courtesy of TallTines and Abowyer...  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
A Perfect Michigan Bear Hunt Courtesy of TallTines and Abowyer...
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I am gathering up photos and thoughts from my just finished black bear hunt in our Upper Peninsula.  As this hunt was 11 years in the making, I am going to try to go in chronological order and it will take a while, so please be patient and know that I am not trying to string things out, just trying to be fair to my wife and kids who are so,  so, generous to give me the time away from them to do the things I need to do.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Perfect Michigan Bear Hunt Courtesy of TallTines and Abowyer...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Lets hear it Steve, Been waiting. Gotta dig Michigan Bear hunting,and the way you did it all the more.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Hunting in Michigan is a double edge sword.  We have an incredible heritage and history.  I would venture to say, when Fred Bear spent nearly his entire adult life here and promoted the world of bowhunting with its center in Grayling, Michigan, it is impossible NOT to end up with a LOT of bowhunters.  This large population does not lend itself to a lot of quality experiences on public land.  If you have access to private land, life is good, if not, you are just going to have to tighten your boot laces.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Bear hunting in Michigan has always been controversial.  Bait hunters vs. Dog hunters.  Bow hunters vs. Gun hunters.  I hate conflict and controversy.  I feel people should behave with courtesty and respect towards one another, not always trying to "get the edge".  Anyway, for a long time, Michigan bear tags came via lottery.  You had a slim chance of drawing and the bear were managed like the deer, poorly (as the deer still are IMO).

In 1990, the DNR started to change things.  They divided the state into 10 bear management areas.  Each area was its own little island where the population was studied and mainained via hunting to give a balance between the people and the bears.  In 1999, the DNR instituted a preference point policy for bear tags.  By 1999, I had already discovered there were a lot of better places all over the country I could hunt uncrowded and high quality public land for the cost of a non-resident license.  I was heavily invested in many western state draw systems and knew even though I did not have any interest in hunting the madhouse Michigan bear hunting was at the time, someday I would want to hunt our bears.

So every May for 11 years I sent them $5 for a preference point...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
So as I gathered point after point, I hunted black bears with outfitters and on my own in Alaska, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec.  I tried to learn all I could on every trip.  Also in the ensuing decade, I have helped friends with their bear hunts here at home, listened to other Michign hunters talk of their experiences with "guided" hunts here, and just tried to keep an eye and ear out to eventually find when was the "right" time and place for me to use up my points here in Michigan.  For 10 years every single piece of intelligence I had led to me  not to be encouraged to let loose of those points.

Last fall I ran into a guy who had taken a big bear on Drummond Island.  He was my kind of guy.  He did it himself and he said if I ever drew, to give him a call.  That was the first positive nugget I had ever gotten about bear hunting here in Michigan.  I did more research and narrowed my scope.  If I was going to bear hunt in Michigan, it was going to be off the east end of the Upper Peninsula on Drummond Island.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Looks great so far Steve!!  Can't wait to follow along!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
:campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
You have my attention sir!!
  :campfire:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Sounds good Steve, I know how much work you put in this hunt can't wait to here the rest if the story.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Nice look forward to more.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Love the bear hunting   :campfire:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
OK, the kids are home from school and I have a few minutes before they have to go to football and cheerleading practice!

Drummond Island has lots of things going for it:

1. The season; most of Michigan's bear seasons are divided up into typically three seasons of varying length.  There are many units you could draw a late season tag with no points.  Then you have bears that have been subject to an IMMENSE amount of pressure.  Drummond Island has ONE season, that season is also the longest season Starting September 10 and going until late October.  If I needed it, I would have the luxury of time.

2.  Limited tags; typical tags available depending on the unit are from the low hundreds into the low thousands.  Drummond Island has two tags available to non-natives and one for natives.  There is other pressure as guys will go up there just to run hounds, but all in all, I was not going to have to deal with as many people as in other units.  Nothing ruins my outdoor experience more than having run ins with people who are not always as respectful of our natural resources as they should be.

3.  Population; Drummond Island is where the vast bulk of the DNR bear population studies have been done over the years.  There is all kinds of data available via biologists and conservation officers.

4.  Access; as you saw from the map I posted above, there is a vast trail network on the island.  Also, ATVs and Snowmobiles can run on just about all the roads up there.  I think there were more quads up there than cars!
Any other spots I would consider hunting are about a 10 hour ride.  DI was 5 hours, so it would be doable to bait myself and definitely close enough that I could include the family on all the hunt preparation.  The Island is approximately 75% public land.

The wife and kids had a blast not only when we were running baits and checking cameras, but when all the work was done for the day as well:

My wife can be an animal sometimes...I had just gone thru there with nary a ripple!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Anxiously awaiting the details.  I've seen the pics and want to hear the whole story now.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Steve, I know Drummond well.  I own property on the mainland 4 miles from the ferry.  I'm gonna enjoy this.  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Steve i like threads like this keep up the good work Thanks Shane

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Good stuff  :)    :coffee:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
enjoying this one   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
:campfire:      :coffee:
-Clay

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Nah..na..na..na....nah...I know the outcome!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Just got home from practice...got to eat dinner and do some homework with the kids then will have a good chunk of time to work on this.

It did drop 30 degrees F the other day and I had to dig my fancy Manitoba Stickflinger touque out of my pack    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©