3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Perfect Michigan Bear Hunt Courtesy of TallTines and Abowyer...  (Read 3127 times)

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Perfect Michigan Bear Hunt Courtesy of TallTines and Abowyer...
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Great stuff Steve.  I sure hope Daniel can make that Manitoba trip!

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Great pics.  Can't wait to hear the rest.
   :campfire:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
So I had three bait sites to cover the island.  Russ' site from last year was deep in a swamp on the south third of the island.  

My bait covering the center section of the island was my absolute favorite.  It was at the end of a 1/4 mile by 100 yard wide clear cut that was all grown over in raspberry bushes.  I placed the bait where the raspberries joined a cedar swamp and a hardwood ridge.  The bears had everything they needed and they found my goodies on their short nightly forays.  It was our favorite becasue we could get a tasty snack right thru the last weeked of baiting which was Labor Day.  After that, the berries were dried out and picked over, but the bears by then knew there was another food source right there from me.

My bait covering the northern third of the island was at the end of a hardwood bench where a cedar swamp made basically a 90 degree turn.  

I will say, there was quite a bit of anticipation returning to the baits for the first time, especially after a talk with Uncle Barry about a few things I should have done on my initial setups...I have those locked in for next time, but things were OK as all the baits were hit.  Russ' was just picked at--it took a while for that one to heat up, but the Raspberry and North bait were destroyed.  Then, once we started looking at the trail cam pics, we REALLY got excited.  Raspberry and North bait had multiple bears, and multiple is being conservative.  They each also had different BIG bears coming into them, and coming into them at all times in the afternoon with plenty of shooting light.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Just started reading this, this morning and covered it all...might be late for work, but couldn't stop  :)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I tell you what, trail cameras are a gift.  I started hunting when you tied a piece of string across a trail and it pulled a pin out of a digital clock when the animal walked by.  I remember when my Uncles and I split the cost of ONE 35mm CamTrakker to run on their property.  That thing cost a fortune to run.  Now you can buy units for under $100 that work 10x better than those of just a few years ago and take and hold THOUSANDS of pictures.  And we got thousands!  There was plenty of activity at all the baits.  I will post a couple of the big bears.

North bait above and Raspberry below.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Great story.  You have some nice looking bear coming in.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
VERY nice bears!

Can't wait to hear the rest of this one!!!!

Ya can't question those bear's taste.....gotta love chocolate!

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Each bait site got a tree prepared with a set of climbing sticks,a bow rope, and a hook to hang my Lone Wolf Assault stand.  I could slide into whichever stand had the best wind and be ready to hunt quickly and quietly.

The North bait had the least amount of cover to hide me, so we cut off a few Cedar branches and used a rachet strap to give me some background cover.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
A couple of diversions before the hunt itself starts:

We are blessed in Michigan to have a world class Salmon fishery in the Great Lakes.  They are mainly taken on the big lakes; that is as easy as it gets...trolling on a charter boat and reeling in your prize.  The ultimate way to fish for these titans is in their spawning streams when they are fresh from the lake.  Trying to stop a 20# fresh from the lake Chinook (or as they are more aptly called "King") Salmon in a 40' wide stream full of logs and snags is about as much fun as you can have on a flyrod.  Our Crown Jewel is the Pere Marquette River in western lower Michigan.  The PM is a National Wild and Senic River and has no dams or impoundments for its entire length.  It is not stock; these fish are wild and are a natural producing and sustaining fishery.  Well, the Kings were in and I just had to stop      ;)    

My two best fish of the day:

18# Female

20# Male

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Hungry now.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
This is great. Those are some Bruts you got coming in there.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
from here, for us , it's just like a kind of dream coming true ... keep it coming please !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Great read and pics

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Last diversion before the hunt...

I have never shot an animal with a two blade head.  Even when I shot a compound, I shot big Snuffers.  My best hunting buddy has shared many a camp with Roger--between them, there have been many hundreds of animals cleanly killed.  I talk with the Wensels all the time; it is pretty clear what they think works! If I am worried a little that a Snuffer is too much, I drop down to a slim Woodsman.  I trust all the experience of these men and I have never had an issue or bad experience with a Snuffer or Woodsman.  

Enter Larry Hanify.  Larry was making Abowyers  LONG before all the single bevel hype.  Larry's shop is not all that far away and being an engineeer, I am always interested in seeing how things are done and if there really is a better way.

After seeing how the Abowyers are made, and the precision and hand crafting that goes into them, I knew if I was  ever  going to shoot a 2 blade, it was going to be one of his Brown Bear.  You can't pick one up and hold it without quality oozing all over your hand     :notworthy:    

The final straw was when I stopped by the shop a few weeks ago and they were doing the final sharpening of a batch of Brown Bears.  Larry uses one of those double grinding wheels; standard wheel on one side and paper on the other.  I really wish I had a video of how it was done, but throughout the process, the head sharpness is tested on a Post-It note.  The whole length of the head slices off 1/16"-1/8" strips of the width of the little yellow note paper.  They can FEEL if there is a section of the blade that is not as sharp as the rest and polish that just a little more until it is just razor perfection.

I grabbed a pack, mounted them, and put the rubber coating back on!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
So now I have a tag, my limit of 3 places to hunt spread out evenly, and razor sharp broadheads.  Now for the bow, which TallTines?

The Camo beater!  After last year's pummeling we took in Alaska, it had earned it's place at the top of the stable.

It is 55# @ 28" and shoots any 250g head like those Abowyers to perfection off any full length 340.  That bow is a rocket!

All set now with the pre work.  The hunt is about to begin!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Loving it Steve!  :campfire:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I LOVE THAT BOW! Seriously...it's the fasted curve I've ever shot!!! I think the real BW cut himself making it and put some mojo in it!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Ha ha Ryan, I believe all his bows have mojo.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Steve, I'm loving the story.  I keep checking back to see what new pieces you have blessed us with.

I hate to do it to everyone else, but we have a hunt to meet about.  I will be there around 12:45.  I need to stop at the house and get your silencers first then I'll be on my way.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Best thread ever man   :scared:

Those are Michigan bears? Look like some of those Manitoba beasts at Ryan's. Keep it coming!
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©