3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Airport Antelope  (Read 664 times)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
The Airport Antelope
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Well I got my first Antelope yesterday so I thought I'd share a quick story and some pics.

I have been chasing these animals for a quite a few years with nothing to show for my effort but a sun tan and some marginal frustration coping skills.    :banghead:    

It feels good to get even finally.

From scouting while hunting the last few years I had come up with the plan that put this Goat on the ground. I had noticed the Antelope liked to both hang out and travel through an area where a few small trees stood.  There daily travel routinely put them in close proximity to a particular tree.  Somedays a large herd would loaf for hours near (within 100-200 yards) this tree and a very popular fence crossing going and coming form the distant alfalfa was also close to this tree.  Tempted by the chance to get a close shot at a calm goat I decided to give the treestand a shot.  Sitting on water in a ground blind is not real productive in this area as there are multiple irrigation canals running through this whole valley.

I hiked to the tree and got my Lone Wolf set up easily.  I only needed two tree sticks and the base of my stand was only 8 ft off the ground.  Perfect for Antelope which are known for not looking up.

As it began to get light out I noticed a mineral-lick block about 25 yards from my stand.  This gave me lots of hope as I knew the goats love these cattle mineral supplements.  With only a few goats within 1/4 mile of my tree the morning started slow.  As it got more light I was able to glass a large herd 1/2 mile to the west in the fresh-cut alfalfa field.  After 2 hours they left the field and started my way. It was fun to watch them come.  The little ones were racing all over the place playing there version of tag.

A lone buck was also closing in from the North as the large herd of over 30 animals (6 bucks) closed in from the West.  As the big herd approached the last fence crossing which was only 100 yards from my tree the lone buck charged the herd and a standoff insued. For 10 minutes the two dominant bucks shadowed each other, one on each side of the fence.  back and forth they walked trying to intimidate each other.  Meanwhile the small goats were still racing about.  Finally a lead doe made a break for the fence crossing and the morning migration resumed.  All Antelope crossed  under the fence and a new standoff between the two biggest bucks began.  One buck ended up chasing a doe out into the praire away from me and I began to worry.  However, a different lead doe made a b-line for the mineral block.  Her movement did not go unnoticed.  3 other does and then the second dominant buck followed behind.  Game-on!

Here they came.  It took only a short time and 3-4 goats had closed the distance and were now only 24 yards away licking the block.  When the buck came up behind them they pushed off and walked right at and then by me.  2 big does were under 10 yards and did not have a clue I was around.  The buck licked on the block and turned broadside.  I began my draw but he moved to push another goat off the minerals.  When he had his fill of the minerals he started after the girls that had walked by me.  He stopped for 5 minutes behind the other big fork of the tree I was in.  I could only see his hooves.  He was 15 yards and I still had does under 10 yards.

A small "racer" goat came flying by and sent a little electrical jolt through the herd.  The  buck did a little bucking quick step and trotted right to the base of my tree.  Now he is directly under me and I'm only 8 ft off the ground.  He starts to nose and munch some of the leaves on my limb clippings. I was surprised how thick across the back he was.  I also had a great view of the gland over his tail (along the backbone). I had never seen that before.  It seemed to be oozing.  Not surprising now that the rut was beginning.  Lowering his head he sniffed a dry branch I had broken off with my bare hand.  The hair on his back-gland flared open and he spooked a short ways out in front of me.  At 10 yards he slowed, turned broadside and stopped.  I starting my draw when I noticed him coming about and was at full draw when he stopped.  He never looked up and the shot was away.  He sprinted at full speed in a almost perfect circle 300 degrees around my tree and crashed down into a dry creek bed throwing gravel into the air.  He got up and made it another 15 yards stopping for the last time only 25 yards from my tree. The runway from a small airport in the background.  

What a fun hunt.  Antelope sure are entertaining to watch...especially during the rut.

thanks for reading and best of luck to you all.

Randy.

Pics to come ASAP.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Airport Antelope
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
First picture shows the buck down and the runway in the distance.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
The view from my tree to the southeast.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Looking south.  Getting ready for picture taking.  This photo shows the tree and the gravel creekbed the buck crashed into.  On the right is a string of willow.  these willow grow along a irrigation ditch and a fence line.  The large fence crossing is about 80 yards up photo from the willows.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Congrats and good story!
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Very nice!  Way to go sir!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
This photo shows a second smaller herd of goats staging at the large fence crossing.  It was getting to be late morning and these goats started to bed and did not come under the fence.  This was after I shot my buck. The alfalfa fields are to the right and beyond the edge of this photo.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
The "Airport Goat".  

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Congrats!!

Love the pictures.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Me and my Boy at the meat shop.  He was very excited I brought this Goat home whole so he could check it out. He's "into it" and jumped up from a deep nap when I came home.  You can also see the exit wound in this pic.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
560 gn total weight arrow.  150 gn 2 blade Simmons Tiger shark broadhead w/100gn steel adapter.  56 lb R/d Banshee Longbow.
Good blood!!

Thanks again,
Randy.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Very ingenious. Congratulations on a great trophy.

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Good work hunting is all about persistence and adaptation and you defined both in your pursuit.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Cool  :)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Congrats!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Congrats again, Randy!  Great season so far for you.   I have an antelope story to relate as well...soon, involving Kory.   Great trophy!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Great story Randy and thanks for bringing this flatlander along...that looks like fun. You "whitetailed" him  :)  CONGRATS   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Good story--I love antelope hunting. Congratulations.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Congrats Randy! Your having a great season! Lots of good meat in the freezer for sure  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©