3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Koryo Bow - Korean War Bow  (Read 271 times)

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
Koryo Bow - Korean War Bow
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Anyone know anything about these?

I was given one rated at 55# (doesn't say at what draw length, at least not in english) and I just tossed it aside.

Out of curiosity I got it out today....WOW.

This bow has to be approx 48in when strung and I can shoot it just as good if not better than my longbow.  Talk about smooth....

I can't shoot a recurve to save my life, a longbow is where its at for me.  This bow is basicly a very short recurve so I thought I wouldn’t be any good with it either.  I was wrong.

I think this will be the perfect bow for deer hunting on the ground and in tight spaces.

I'm trying to get more info about the bow but the when I googled it the only site found was down.

I'm really wanting to know about strings, care and maint, and if you leave these strung or if you should unstring them for storage.

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Big C

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Koryo Bow - Korean War Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
I know there are specialty sites out there that sell ethnic bows. try narrowing your search to dealers and looking for a number or a contact us email address. I've seen them before on the web but can't think off hand where.

Sorry my option is more googleing haha.

Take care.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Try Yumi Archery. I think his name is Jap Kopperdrayer from Georgia by way of Denmark. A really nice guy.

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I was able to get in touch with the bowyer and get the info I needed.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still amazed at the way this bow shoots.  Although my experinec with trad bows has been limited to bear recurves and a bamboo backed reflex deflex.

I was about to sell this bow to fund another longbow purchase but I may hold off on that now.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Pics please? This sounds like a really cool bow! You gotta stop holding out on us.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
The traditional Korean bows are amazing little pocket rockets.  I own a  Hwarang and shoot with a thumb ring.  Short, smooth and fast-they really shine with a longer draw, but even with fingers they can fling on arrow.

The Korean bows were designed to shoot the Korean archery course which is a target set at 145 meters, but are excellent for hunting.  Korea has some of the best bowyers in the world producing these weapons.

Enjoy but if you want to sell it drop me a PM.

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Pics please? This sounds like a really cool bow! You gotta stop holding out on us.
Ditto!
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I'll try to get pics up tonight. Here is a link to the info on the bow I have.  A small folded piece of leather was added to the left side to act as a rest.

http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html

Capt,
   I shoot it with fingers 3 under. Bone slick it seems to be dead quiet. I'm going to shoot it for a while to see if it continues to grow on me.  Once I'm good enough, I want to see how it performs in the woods.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
BigCountry I can tell you from experience they are a great hunting weapon.  Easy to bring on target, and can be shot from the darndest angles because of their size.  

Enjoy I am sure you'll get addicted to the pocket rocket and wonder why you ever needed a longer bow.

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I can't wait to get it out in the woods.  

Now I just have to wait for my arm to heal up.  I think I have tendonitis in my shoulder and elbow.

Note to self, ALWAYS strech and warm up before shooting....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©