3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting from a climbing stand  (Read 386 times)

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting from a climbing stand
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
just wonder who hunts with their trad bow from a climber?  I am tired of having to move loc ons or ladder stands all the time and want to get a climber but im scared it would be too hard to shoot out of unless i get one of the open shot styles.  any suggestions?

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting from a climbing stand
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I still shoot out of my old "Baker" climber---I use a safety harness and I never use that old climber on any kind of hard barked tree---I stick only to pines.

With this old stand, I can sit or stand and with a 62" recurve i have no problems with shooting.  Standing up and with the harness, I can lean away from the tree and shoot in most any direction with no problems.

When I get really rich, i am going to purchase something a little more modern but haven't settled on a particular brand yet.  Some of the photos I see, and some I see at Bass Pro sure look heavy and cumbersome to me---but I haven't examined them in detail.

Bottom line is that if you find a good stand that isn't too bulky, you should be able to shoot from it just fine.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I have and do some times during the season. I like to set the seat portion of the stand as low as I can get and still be able to stand up to shoot. Just so I get more bow clearance.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I use a API climber ( the one with a motorcycle chain coated in rubber on the back) and it works pretty good. I shoot a 69in longbow too!  Like stated above I lower the seat/climbing portion as low as it willy till it's almost sitting on top of the actual stand. Then the seat actually is at a good height for me to rest the end of my bow on.
TIM B

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I have a Summit Grand Slam that I've used for years.  It has the safety bar that goes out in front of the seat.  I have a 60" Widow recurve and it gets in the way if I don't pay attention.

I always wear a harness and I adjust the strap on the tree in such a way where I can lean forward and put tension on the strap.  I'm able to lean far enough forward to clear my bottom limb past the safety rail.

The other option is to put the seat part of the climber closer to the foot-rest.  I don't like eating my knees, so I don't do it.

I really had to get used to leaning with the harness and had to really concentrate to remember when the deer would show up.  I've taken plenty of shots where I didn't pay enough attention and whacked my bottom limb on that rail.  Scares the crap out of the deer.

I can certainly deal with it now, but my next climber...if I ever feel the need to get one...will be one without a rail.  It's safe enough up there with the harness.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I use my lone wolf hand climber 90% of my hunting time. I fold up the seat when I stand and can shoot almost 360 around my stand. No problem with 62" bows. The sit and climb models are too restrictive in movement for me, I don't like anything in front or on the side of me that can interfere. It all depends on how comfortable you are in the stand. It is best to try before you buy.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
go to your archery shop and see if lone wolf sent them demo models this year..the shop i buy most of my stuff got 5 different models and you can take them and try them out....i have had all of them at the house and tried them...i think the bow shop owner just wanted me to put them together so he wouldnt have to...lol
i like biscuits

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I have a tree walker.It has the bar around it.But the deck is long enough to get you away from the tree to shoot behind it if you need to.I'm 6'2" and havent had a shot yet i couldnt make from this stand.I've tried about everything out there.And nothing comes close to the treewalker stands.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
dicks sporting goods sells the field and stream climber with the rail that slides out with just the click of 2 pins. Lower it down on the ground with your bow rope and your good to go without any interfearence with a bar in front of you..Still dont know why the big name treestand makers dont use this idea?

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Summit Open Shot, no problems.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Neat thing about those old Bakers was the ability to be on the ground BEFORE your arrow reached your deer! Safety harness is a must.
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Using a Lone Wolf hand climber this year for the first time. Used to use a Summit Climber SS. It had a rail for sitting and climbing. Got in the way of the shot. 29# was a bit much to move up the tree. The LW is only 17#.

I can already tell that I will have clearer shots in almost all directions.

Martin

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by str8jct:
Summit Open Shot, no problems.
Same here.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by pj starrett:
just wonder who hunts with their trad bow from a climber?  I am tired of having to move loc ons or ladder stands all the time and want to get a climber but im scared it would be too hard to shoot out of unless i get one of the open shot styles.  any suggestions?
Shooting out of one shouldn't be much different, just don't drop anything out of a climber or it's a long way down... and don't forget your pee can.    :biglaugh:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowsey Wails:
Neat thing about those old Bakers was the ability to be on the ground BEFORE your arrow reached your deer! Safety harness is a must.
Tim
:laughing:  but true.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
One tip for climbers is on my haul line I tie a  bent coat hanger instead of a clip so I can use it to fish things that drop out of it like my hat or shooting glove when I set it up. I just tie the end to my bow to haul it up and use the clip to lower. You can shake off the bow when on the ground and lower other objects from the stand.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by hydrasport205:
dicks sporting goods sells the field and stream climber with the rail that slides out with just the click of 2 pins. Lower it down on the ground with your bow rope and your good to go without any interfearence with a bar in front of you..Still dont know why the big name treestand makers dont use this idea?
The cool thing about Dick's (at least in Dallas) is they always have their stands 40%-70% after season. I've bought quite a few ladder stands for under $40

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Hand Climber..it's like having a climbing Loc-on.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I have 2 Summit bushmaster. The older one has the v-bar around the tree and the newer one has the cable. The only time I have any trouble with a 64" longbow is shooting to the rear at a steep angle on my left side(Shooting right handed). I have to watch my bow tip for the front of the seat arm.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by pitbull:
I use my lone wolf hand climber 90% of my hunting time. I fold up the seat when I stand and can shoot almost 360 around my stand. No problem with 62" bows. The sit and climb models are too restrictive in movement for me, I don't like anything in front or on the side of me that can interfere. It all depends on how comfortable you are in the stand. It is best to try before you buy.
Ditto for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©