3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buyer beware-Seat O the Pants Harness  (Read 582 times)

Offline drags

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buyer beware-Seat O the Pants Harness
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I agree with HB3.  I purchased a used harness/saddle type product a few years back.  It too had a plastic buckle that I discovered was damaged when I received it.  After contacting the company they were more than helpful.  They quickly exchanged my item with new more advanced model and did not ask for a dime even though I purchased it used!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
The gent who designed/invented SOP sold it to I guess it was Summit.  He still comes along to the Harrisburg Sport Show. Always enjoy talking to him.

I noted some years back the double metal buckle and slip thru-twist arrangement that replaced the plastic buckles.

Larger companies like Summit have huge liability problems and risks, so their team of Legal-Beagles up the Anti and make everything as near idiot-proof as possible.

Taking back a lightly used harness to refurb with new hardware would be the same as assuring the integrity of the older style material. They don't know it wasn't stored in a sun-baked locker and ready to fall apart...to test it again would subject it to more stress and if it ever failed, it'd by a huge claim in the making.

These companies are up against the liberal trial lawyers and the people who let folks claim horrific damages for being stupid...so companies protect themselves in what seems "user-un-friendly" ways.

Silent Slide is a company that makes a simple safety belt. He also comes to Harrisburg adn has some intriguing research literature he shares on the effects of full body harnesses that refuted some of the 5pt harness safety claims...but echo what Coilspring espoused above! They're designed to keep you from hitting the ground...not designed to prevent injury...

I had a chest-only harness once and came out of a tree with it when a climber came apart... (operator error).  I had read you have 3 min before chest compressions will make you pass out.

I said a prayer, made a plan and got out of a fix... but I was one shaky boy till it was over, both from nerves and from exhaustion.  Thankfully that was 20 yrs ago and I was a lot younger/stronger.

Never trust a harness to save you. You're head is better, but the harness is great back up!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I've been using the HSS vest system. Its much easier to put on, less tangling or twisting of staps in the dark. I wear it underneath my ASAT leafy suit with no problems and it sure makes me more comfortable using a climber. I dont climb without it. For years up until just recently I still used a single strap around my mid section.
Finally got with the program, and threw all those old ones out.

SOP or HSS are in my opinion some of the best ones out there. Nothing lasts forever.If its looking like its not working right, buy a new one. They're about the same cost as a good dozen arrows. And we all know we don't skimp on those.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©