3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado with my son......what a ride.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado with my son......what a ride.
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Its almost surreal to sit here ready to tell the story of our hunt. Surreal that after 3 yrs of dreaming and planning, and 22 days in the backcountry, its over. Done. But what a  trip it turned in to. Something very special, so uplifting, and a broken heart at the end. Lets get started....

We departed for Colorados Raggeds Wilderness on 8-22, arriving at the trailhead the afternoon of the 23rd, having stopped to visit with a couple of friends along the way. the ride up to the trailhead was a winding road with awesome views of the mountains,Alex was loving every twist in the road as it afforded him another spectacular view.

we pulled into the trailhead, finding a few other campers, mostly folks riding horses etc. We set up our small spike camp tent, a Kifaru Paratipi, for the night, gathered some firewood and sat around the campfire taking in the cool evening air and glad to be out of the truck.

We hit the sack early, with plans to scout out a good area for our basecamp, pack in our gear then return for the base camp tent. Morning arrived early enough, I woke before Alex, got the fire going and heated some water for coffee.
Waiting for him to craawl out, I quietly sipped my coffee,taking in the cool morning air and looking over my topo maps again.

Alex awoke, and after organizing some of our gear, we hit the trail up into the raggeds in search of a good spot for base camp. From there we would be doing bivy trips of 2-5 days in search of elk, so we wanted it in a good location.

I noticed soon enough once on the trail that there was no shortage of horseback riders and day hikers. Not what I was expecting, but they tpically stay on the trails, so I wasnt too concerned at this point.

The thin air at 9,000' told us to go easy, which was hard as the trail got steep in a hurry. We worked up the trail, finding a sweet looking area consisting of a large pond with a great view of Marcelina Mountain. After looking it over, we decided it was too close to the trailhead, and continued on.

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado with my son......what a ride.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
After a steep climb through a rock slide and a series of aspen benches, we found a nice spot just off the trail on a bench of quakies.While our view of Marcellina was blocked, the site afforded shade, protection from high winds, abundant firewood, and a small stream of crystal clear water nearby. We dropped our packs, set up the spike tent and emptied our hunting gear into the tent. Alex, being the typical teen, was hungry, and waited anxiously while I dug out the stove to heat some water and made lunch.

We ate some hot granola for breakfast, rested for a few , then headed back down to the truck to get the big tent and the rest of our supplies. This was probably a bit ambitious for the first day at that altitude, but we got it done, and by the time we got back, and got camp set up, we were exhausted.

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
:campfire:
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
:coffee:
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Sweet camp! I'll be watching this one unfold!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
It's great that you are of that magic age when you are still able to do this physically and your son is old enough to haul a man's load.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
We slept in the next morning,still trying to catch up for the lack of sleep from a straight thru 24 hr drive. We headed the 1.5 miles down to the truck, went in to Crested Butte to make a couple final phone calls, then returned to camp. I packed in the Zodi showerm as well as a good cache of food. The shower was worth the effort, after a few days out on a bivy, a warm shower was awesome. We did wah up ina few cold creeks as well, which is...well.....invigorating!  
So our base camp was a cozy setup with a traditional atmosphere, and a few comforts as well. Lets just say the cold creek nearby doubles as a pretty good cooler, and an ice cold beer after a long day on the trail sure tastes good. espcially as the mid day temps were running in the mid-80's.

The following morning we set out in search of elk. While we still had a couple days before the season opened, getting the lay of the land and locating some elk was our priority. We followed the forest service trail north, and came across a couple of rocky overlooks into the region. The view was breathtaking. Seeing the look on Alex's face as he took in his first really big dose of Rocky Mountain heaven was worth the trip alone.

We explored several areas about 1/2-1 mile north of base camp, but no elk sign. At least nothing fresh. Talking with some horse riders, we learned there was a large flock of sheep grazing in the area, which explained a couple areas we scouted that were trampled and severely grazed over. Not a good sign, as elk will  typically move out of areas occupied by an abundance of sheep. We continued looking the area over,but decided to set up our spike camp near the rocky overlook to spend the evening glassing.

While the view from here was awesome, a couple of elk filling my bino's would go a long way to dressing it up a bit more. We glassed until dark, prepared a hot mountain house for dinner then retreated to the tent and a warm bag for the night. AS we lay inthe tent, the sounds of coyotes on the hunt filled our ears. I have no use for coyotes, but I do enjoy listening to them howl at night.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Reddogge- you are right. Alex is a big tough kid, and as you'll see here as this unfolds, he can buck up and carry some pretty good loads. But while hes 30 yrs younger, I kept up with him pretty good most of the trip, and hauled a couple good loads myself. Of course I may have had more aches and pains doing it, but I didnt tell him that!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Major cool! Nice tent too.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
This is going to be a good one.  :campfire:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Great story so far.  Thanks for sharing.  The prep thread before you hunt has got me all fired up to go next year.

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Great story, cant wait to see how it turns out.

Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Every trail leads somewhere, every turn afords a new view, new possibilities, and new challenges.
Through vast benches of quaking aspens, parks awash with wild flowers, through dark timber full of chattering squirrels busily stashing away pine cones, across creek after creek. We spent the next several days walking,crawling or climbing through it. We spike camped several miles in from base camp in a patch of dark timber as our search for elk continued. Opening day had came and went, yet we still had yet to find anything to reward our efforts.

As I've often told my son, nothing good comes easy, and we obviously were going to have to put our work in on this one. The first week temps were very warm. A late spring and a wet summer resulted in a lot of lush green grass high up the mountains. The elk were scattered, with abundant food and water. Coupled wsith the pressure of the sheep in the area, this was gonna be tough. We headed into an area of beaer ponds one day, and with over a dozen ponds in this area, not a single track of elk.

Beaver sure are some ingenious creatures. We were able to see several ponds in varying stages of construction. Simply amazing little rodents they are. Ambitious too, we found a couple trees probably 20-24" diameter gnawed down and dropped. Really makes ya wonder what the beaver was thinking he was gonna do with it once he dropped it. Mule deer  tracks were about all we found. It was getting hot, and we followed the creek feedingthe ponds into an area shaded with pines. We found an old campsite along the creek.
Several quakies were carved with dates someone had previously killed elk here. We ate lunch, refilled our water bladders, and washed up in the cold creek water.

This was a really cool place, one Im sure should hold elk, yet they were absent. Nearby benches told us the story-sheep had been in here recently and cleaned house. we slipped through bench after bench of quakies that had the ndergrowth completely grazed out and trampled. finally after a few days of this, it was time to make a move. But to where?

we snapped these pics as we entered into the Ragged Wilderness. we hung our longbows on the signpost. After reading the sign, Alex commented- "ha-nothing with wheels Dad. We're good to go. "
We got a good chuckle out of that.
We met some super nice folks along the way. non hunting locals hiking the forest service trails, there were many who commented to us, when seeing our traditional bows, how impressed they were that we were hunting the hard way. One fella told me we were hard core- I laughed,as I had my Hard Core Traditional T-shirt back at base camp.

While we continued in our search, we were blessed to experience this wilderness up close and personal. One thing that really bothered me about along the forest service trail is the amount of trees carved up by selfish morons who seem to think anyone else would care if they were there or not. Grafiti with a knife. But on the flip side of that, we found, like our base camp location- there were many old sheepherder or cowboy camp sites. The oldest we found carved into the tree was 1903. At our base camp, a sheepherders campsite, the oldest was 1942. We found old horseshoes nailed to a tree, and Alex found and old boot spur. An area rich with the heritage of the early west. far better to be up to your knees in it, than to read about it in some book in a classroom. Living in these same mountains, one can get a true sense of the hardships faced by our ancestors as they settled into the western states.

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I love the raggeds. Awesome place. keep that story comin. I'm heading out for a weekend elk adventure right now so i will have to wait til monday to finish it.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
We spent almost 10 days stomping the Raggeds. Onething was clear to me, sheep, and too many people,resulting in not a single elk seen or heard. No fresh sign. Nothing. we returned to base camp once again, with plans to move across the road into the West Elk wilderness. we spent a relaxing evening in the big tent, a hot meal, cozy campfire, and a splash of bourbon in my tin cup sure tasted good. Alex got a nice little fire going, and we enjoyed a comfy night.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
the following day we packed our gear, headed for the trailhead and went in to town for a call home and to pick upa few things. We spent some time exploring the town, and got us a good meal at the brick oven pizza pub in town. On the hike out, we bumped in to the sheepherder. Language barrier aside, I learned he had seen elk up high above his flock of sheep. we decided we would check it out the next day. We climbed a steep trail up, but even with his directions all we found were sheep everywhere. Not wanting to get into a tangle with the big guard dogs, we descended before dark. On the way down we were about run over by a mountain biker while glassing a mule deer across a draw. this particular trail was open to bikers, and they for the most part think they own the trail.
I dont have any problems with non hunting participants in outdoor recreation, but mountain bikers, dressed up like some sort of spandex elves, flying down trails oblivious to anyone else on the trail tend to get my blood pressure up. Enough is enough, we were done with the Raggeds.

At the trailhead, we met a nice couple camping. Hubby was bowhunting muleys, and his wife hangin out and doing a little fishing. We got to talking, and it turns out he was originally from Michigan, and moved to CO after college. He said he'd be more than happy to help a couple MI boys out, and he marked several spots on my topo whre he had seen elk while deer hunting across the road on E. Beckwith. Our spirits lifted, and plans were laid for chapter 2.

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
getting good loyd

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »

There is something about immersing yourself so deep in such beautiful country that you really realize just how small, and how insignificant you are on this planet. we ventured up on to a bench that we almost missed. Once on top, we found a scree covered flat, with a smattering of pines and short scrub oak. the view was immense. I stood there, with views of every mountain in a 360 degree panorama,speechless. It was so beautiful, no words could describe it, no picture could capture it. we stood there, soaking it all in. This was why we came. Sure, the elk lured us in, but the view - thats what makes you come back time and again, to push yourself to the physical limits. to dwell deep within some of Gods greatest creation. We soaked it up, but since there was no elk sign, we continued on our search. Just being able to stand in such a place, I'm a lucky man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©