3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado with my son......what a ride.  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Colorado with my son......what a ride.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
"I'm a lucky man..."

You can say that again.... as there is nothing like hunting the CO back country, longbow in hand and fine company to boot.

Cool pics..

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Very nice John!! Great pics and story so far. Thanks for taking us along
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
The next morning we struck out for our new area. We climbed from the trailhead up towards Beckwith Pass, about an 1100' ascent over roughly 1.5 miles. We stopped just short ofthe pass to set a spike camp, then after lunch we finished the rest of the climb up tothe pass. From here the view was again spectacular, and dropping over the other side puts you in the West elk Wilderness. Here we stood between 2 wilderness areas, with the views all around to go with it. We climbed a little higher to a grassy bench that afforded us a good view of the many alpine meadows that intermied with stands of dark timber. we settled in to glass the remaining hours.

After we returned to our little spike camp, plans were made to slowly slip in and out of cover along and through the checkboard of parks and meadows, hunting our way down to an area of quakies to a knob where we were told elk had been hanging out. Wwe awoke before light to the sound of rain hammering on the tent. Not what we wanted. We slept for another hour, and headed out into a light drizzle. The clouds hung low on the peak of Beckwith, and the sky told me it was likely to be an all day rain. Oh well.

We worked our way down the mtn. towards the benches of aspens, as the rain picked up, died down, and picked up again. It was gonna be a wet day,even with rain gear. I dont like to wear rain pants unless I have to as theyre too noisy to stalk quietly in the silent drizzly rain.

We reached our area, soon enough Alex spotted a mule deer doe feeding about 60 yds from us. I told him to put a stalk on her for practice( while I stayed out of the rain and munched a little trail mix and watched. He did pretty good, butshe dropped over a rise and disappeared. Im guessing he got within 35 yds.
We continued working through the area, stopping in coverwhen the rain picked up, settting up and doing a little soft cow calling here and there and enjoying the cool damp conditions. I love hunting when its like that.

We reached the area Rich told us to find, but by now it was really starting to come down. Our boots were  squishing water out with each step, and it was gedtting to the point shooting anything would be irresponsible as the rain would quickly destroy and bloodtrail. We waited it out for a while, but to no avail. Looking at the map, we were actually closer to the truck than our spike camp so we decided to slip down there and get some dry clothes to take back to spike camp. It was gonna be a long day climbing back upthere. As we started acrss and down towards the truck, it got steep, and we were slipping and sliding trying to keep our feet under us.

Somewhere along the way, I looked ahead and slammed on the brakes. Right below me about 18 yds and maybe 25 down below was an ELK! A cow and calf were working along a trail beneath us.

Now typically, when you see an anumal in bow range, you see everything but the chest. This was exactly the opposite. She was behind brush everywhere but here chest, and I had a nice sized hole to slip an arrow through. Problem was, she was looking right at me. We all stood still, as I s-l-o-w-l-y reached for an arrow. I didnt think I was gonna get a shot off, and unfortunately I was right. Just as I started to pull a shaft out of my GFA quiver, they bolted. At this point it wasnt raining much, so I figured if I can get a shot at that range, I'lltake it. My sons eyes were as big as dinner plates. " Holy crap- those things are huge Dad"!

As elk tend to do, she ran down and across a patch of cover, then going up the next hill 150 yds across, she paused to look back over her shoulder and stare at us fora few minutes before departing.

After almost 2 weeks, we finally found some elk. We let them drift off for a bit, then continued towards the truck. I looked at the time, and it was 3pm, we were looking at well over an hour down to the truck. when we hit the FS trail, it was pure grease. Not good. it was painfully slow going down. By the time we reached the truck we were drenched, and exhausted. There was no way we could make the ascent back up to spike camp before dark. Trying to run that in the dark was asking to get hurt. So....we changed clothes and decided we'd have to sleep in the truck. Base camp was across the road and 1.5 miles up the other side. We were kinda stuck.

Knowing  our base camp was now in a terrible location, we decided to run it to town, wash/dry our muddy clothes, grab a shower at the hostel next door ( $5.00, a bargain!)and then retun to the trailhead till morning.

In the morning, we decided to move our basecamp down to the trailhead. the knob we were working could be hunted from below inthe early morning with the thermals still coming down, which usually help till around 9:30-10:00am, or we could hunt down to thenm from spike camp a little later in the am, or anytime in the afternoon. So if we put BC at the trailhead, we could approach from either camp,and hunt a couple days fromeither one.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Fortunately, before we moved our hunting across the road, we pulled a lot of stuffout of BC, so I was pretty sure we could get it all in one load. I was right, but oh boy was it a load. Alex was less that pleased that the canvas was still fairly wet, but being the good sherpa he is, he shouldered the load and beat feet down the hill.  

He carried the tent and fly. I got everything else. I estimated his pack at about 75#, mine at about 70#. Even downhill, it was a load.

We got down, and reset BC. While we didnt like being so close to the road, it was very comfy, and we could keep some of our gear in the truck.
Plus, beingthe evening temps were getting colder, we could put the bigger woodstove in. So we got it allset up, and for the remainder of the hunt, BC was probably a little too comfy.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
This is making for a very nice read.  I like how you are being very descriptive.  Thank you for bringing us along.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
The next morning we were out of camp early, working our way back up to our spike camp at 10,000ft. Glad I was leaving from BC, so I could get a coffee before leaving.

The woodstove stillhad a nice bed of coals when the alarm went off, a few sticks and hot coffee was not far off. We worked our way up, checking parks as we went along. About 2/3 of the way up, Alex spots a sage grouse sitting on a boulder inthe middle of a grassy park. He put a stalk on, and as I watched and videotaped, he drilled a big grouse with a judo point. Bowled her right over and knocked her off the rock! He ran up to retrieve his trophy when I saw a grouse run out from behind the rock and stop. I figured it was the same one he just shot. He quickly popped another arrow out, drew and dead-centered the bird! I thought he had to shoot he same one twice, but he excitedly told me he got 2! After shooting the 2nd, grouse were flushing everywhere,one flew straight at me. I was stuck with my bow in one hand and camera in the other,all I could do is harmlessly swing my bow at one fast mover coming in low, but it easily avoided me.

We were excited we finally got to loose an arrow at something edible! As we breasted out our dinner, I realized all our stuff for cooking grouse was back down at BC! So we bagged them up, continued to go to spike camp to check on it after all the rain, then hunted our way back down. We cooled the grouse in the creek, and it was fine when time came to make dinner. And oh what a dinner it was.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Great thread so far...loving it!

Some fine shooting Alex, grouse are oh so fun with stick and string says I.

Keep it coming fella's!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
:wavey:    :notworthy:   God bless!!!  ;)

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along   :campfire:

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
After over 2 weeks of pounding the trails and mountains,and thus far sseeing only 2 elk, we were so excited over a couple of grouse it was really electrifying. We laughed and joked,and reveled in Alex's success. Look at the smile on his face- it really says it all.

For the next few days we hunted high and deep,far and wide. Muzzleloader season started, and with it more hunter traffic, although mst ofthem were going over the pass into the West Elk. We met guys from PA,WI, CA, IA, CO. Word was there was another group of trad hunters in the area, but we never crossed paths.

We found a little wlk sign here and there, but with the ellk totally silent, locating them was tough. We were getting tired, our legs especially. We had logged a lot of miles on our boots. This is when elk hunting is at its hardest,when you're physically and mentally exhausted. I was running out of options and ideas, as well as running out of gas. We decided it best to take a couple days off, rest our bodies and our minds and then head in to an area a local told me about over the pass. He used to outfit in there, and said its an area nobody goes. Its nasty. Steep, thick, ugly drainage with a little bowl at the top. He said if we can get up there, we will find elk. It tops out at 11,000 ft. I looked at the map as he circled it. Oh-(*&^%*& thats ugly I told him. He smiled. "Yup" thats where you'll find 'em.

So we decided to rest up and get after it. We went in to town Sunday afternoon to call home etc. I checked my messages, and I read one that literally took my breath away. A complete sucker punch right in the guts,a kid I've known for a few years through Camp WIlderness, and a very close friend of my sons had killed himself. I struggled to catch my breath. Alex was standing outside the truck talking to his mother. I had to tell him. I knew what was goingto happen. But I couldnt avoid it,and I was sick. I made a cople of calls to confirm what I just read. I wanted it to be someones idea of a sick joke. I wanted it to be a bad dream. I wanted it to be a lie. We had just talked to Robert a few days before. How could this be????

I've made it a rule as long as I've raised my kids- I dont keep things from them, and I dont lie to them. They get the truth, whether they want to or not. I treat my boys like men, the kind of men I want them to be. this would be no different. But God I didnt want to do this.

I told Alex. Roberts dead. It didnt go over well as you may all understand. We were both heartbroken. I'll be putting up another thread about this after I finish this one.

We limped back to camp, devastated. Alex and Robert were the first 2 Jr hunter safety instructors at Camp Wilderness. As Alex put it- brothers from another mother. The two of them were 2 peas in a pod.

We spent a long sleepless night talking, crying, being mad, but mostly feeling a big hole in our hearts.

The next day we hung around camp, but Alex was very quiet and withdrawn.I was worried about him. We talked, and finally we shot our bows at some water bottles and broke the tension. It helped a lot. we decided when we got to the pass in the morning, we would pause and launch a few arrows into the timber in Roberts honor. Our friend, our Brother of the Bow was gone. We put our own personal inscription on the arrows, and sent them streaking through the air.

the climb up to the pass flat kicked our butts. we sat for a long time at the pass, and we agreed that our tanks were empty. even if we could make it up into that little bowl at 11,000ft, and even if we killed elk there, getting it out was asking too much of ourselves. We gave it everything we had. But with with tired bodies, and now broken hearts, we knew we were asking too much of ourselves. its a tough thing to do, admit to yourself you're done. but its the right thing. This country isnt very forgiving of mental errors.It beats you down. It makes you realize just how small you are. tempting it only begs for problems.

So we slowly descended to camp. We quietly but quickly broke everything down, and at 4:30 pm we departed for home. the elk beat us, this I know. but we gave it our all, we had a great time, we learned a lot about ourselves, and we spent 22 amazing days chasing dreams.

I'll add to this a few lessons learned a little later. But I'm going to put up another thread about Robert. He was a great young man, shot a longbow ( or anything else) well, and had passion for the outdoors.

I look forward to my next venture after elk. Those who can kill them regularly with a bow have my utmost respect. I'll keep tryin. Chasin dreams, and racing Father Time. AS long as the good Lord allows me to. As I mentioned before, being able to stand in wild places such as this, I'm a lucky lucky man. To do it with my son makes it even better.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Speechless...

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Amazing in so many ways...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Great read. Great experience with your son.

Thank you for sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story and beautiful pictures.  As a father who just returned last week from Colorado with my son and two of his friends I could feel your excitement.  You've done a good job of sharing your passion of hunting the hard way with your son!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Thank you for posting your story and photos.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Great trip, sorry for the sad ending.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Heres a few other pics I forgot to work in.

Spotted this brute feeding in the timnber. Alex snuck up close for a shot-with the camera. No deer tags!

This was a shard of pine shrapnel from a lightning strike. I was the size of a 2x6, and I couldnt pull it out of the ground! there were pieces of tree everywhere. Glad I wasnt camped under that one.

He must be havin fun, he's smilin in his sleep!

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Awesome story. You are a really good dad, and being able to have an experience like that with your son is beyond priceless. Wow.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I never really understand why people do that. Is such a waste...

sad.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Great time spent together,Sorry about your friend.Thanks for sharing with all of us.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Not much stuff better than a month in the CO high country and grouse & rice!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©