3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado with my son......what a ride.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado with my son......what a ride.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
cool!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Lucky Dad, lucky son! Thanks for taking us along! Beautiful country...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Just reading that from the other side of the world was an emotional roller coaster.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
great read- tough country for sure!
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
John, Sounds like you and Alex had a great Father/Son couple of weeks. Thanks for the great Pics and read. Sorry for your loss.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
There were a lot of things I learned along the way on this trip.

First- the area we hunted was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the area. He doesnt hunt it as he guides for an outfitter in a different area of the same unit, but had heard through some of his friends it was a good area.
When we arrived I didnt expect the amount of grazing going on in that area. LESSON- when choosing an area of National Forest/Wilderness Area, contact the local forest service office for info on grazing- heavy grazing can negatively influence elk movements. Ditto for recreational use such as horseback tours,hikers etc. Any wilderness will probably have some of this, but this area seemed to be a particular hotspot.

Heres a tip that worked great for us. Our boots got soaked hunting the real rainy day. even though they are "waterproof", water wicking in around the tops and walking through wet grass all day had them squishing water out of every pore. To dry them, I packed them with newspaper for a couple hours, then before we went to bed I filled them with white rice. By morning, they were barely damp inside, and perfectly wearable.
A 5# bag of rice worked great for one pr of boots.

we took a lot of odds and ends gear along we never used. Keep it very very simple and basic.

We use GFA quivers. While I usually wear it with the feathered end of my arrows up, water getting into the hood caused my Woodsmans to rust a little, which dulled them. Make sure to have the means to touch your broadheads up, and check them often. I like the Woodsman heads, but they sure sseem to dull easily.

String wax- snagging on branches and flowers beats your string up. If you forget string wax, chapstick makes a fair substitute. Keep 'em waxed!

With the amount of time we were out there, I was expecting we would beat our feet up pretty bad. Neither of us had so much as a single hot spot or blister. Good insoles, and good boots are worth their weight in gold. We used Asolo hiker boots,very comfortable boots. Highly recommend them. Along with good boots, good socks! We used Vermont Darn tough wool socks in Med weight. Well worth the cost.

We did not wear any cotton clothing, other than around base camp at night. Im sold on Merino wool base layers. Absolutely the best I've ever worn.

We used Big Agnes Air core inflatable sleeping pads. They are comfy and easy to use. The only problem we had was those, with a nylon sleeping bag was like a slippy=slide. It was tough staying on the pad while sleeping. Need to come up with something to correct that.

As far as our gear, everything performed as expected, with no problems. The only disaapointemnt was the Kifaru Paratipi. Its a quality tent for sure, but its just too small for 2 men, 2 backpacks, bows and quivers. For one person it would be perfect. I'll probably upgrade it to either a sawtooth, or the 6 man tipi. As far as weight, the paratipi is light and easy to pack, but I wouldnt use it for 2 again.

I would also make sure I have topo maps for the surrounding areas. I had a couple, but learning of other areass nearby, I could have used a couple more maps. Im a firm believer in carrying topo maps. The maps on the GPS are helpful, but the screen is too small to use them for more advanced scouting/planning.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Great adventure with your son!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I really enjoyed your hunt.  God's peace to you and your son.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Fantastic pictorial and story telling...sometimes, not killing any critters enables you to take in everything around you just a little bit more..awesome country, that Colorado...and thanks for the pointers, I like the white rice idea. Best of luck with the grieving process also.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Wow, really enjoyed this thread, amazing photos and storytelling.  I hope to one day be able to do a hunt in Colorado.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Great stuff! Lifetime memories right there.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Purely epic. That story will probably be told for many generations of your family.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Great wrap up summary Ron!  Alot of great help here.  I'm jealous as I can only hope to take my boy on a trip like this someday..  God Bless!
Mike
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Great adventure in CO.  Thanks for sharing.

Very sorry to hear about your young friend.

It is always valuable to document your lessons learned!  It will make the next hunt all the better.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
wow, what a ride.  sounds like a great trip until the end.  im gonna remember the rice trick as well...
is it September yet??

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Ron, I enjoyed your account immensely. I live right down the valley from where you hunted, an awesome country for sure. I often go up there to do some fishing, my wife loves it for the photo opps. We hunted nearby, my sons and I (four men that I am so proud of!) We managed two bears and two elk with our traditional longbows. Thanks for putting such an adventure in words. Grizz
mike

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Great read. Thanks for the details, I felt like I was there with you both!

I am so sorry you had to endure the tragic news of your friend Robert.

I would love to someday do what you and your son did. Elk hunting in CO would be a dream come true. I just hope I am in good enough shape by the time it comes for me to give it a go.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Great story //great adventure. sounds like a dream hunt  game or not!..i am sure although it may not seem so now.something good somehow will result from your tragedy..my prayers are with you and your son as you deal with your loss.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss.  It was a great story and a treasured memory I'm sure.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Awesome trip, thanks for the picts and story.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©