3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OK I got the Hill Style shooting form down  (Read 362 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK I got the Hill Style shooting form down
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Since I think I have almost mastered shooting my bows correctly now I want help with my back quiver problems.

I own at least 6 of the darn things and I've moved straps to just about any and every position I can see where to punch a hole to attach it and still haven't been able to duplicate anything that remotely could be called easy arrow retrieval out of it.

In other words I am ready to make this work some way.

I will not attach a quiver on my Hills or Hill style bows!

Sure I could use something like a side stalker or one of those other fancy quivers but I am dead set on making a back quiver user friendly for me.

Thanks in advance!

God bless,Mudd

PS: If you have one that you know will work for me just give me a shout and I'll trade two or three of the ones I have for it...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OK I got the Hill Style shooting form down
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Mudd, I will bring mine to Columbia in a couple of weeks and you can use it and see how the strap is attached. That is part of the secret to constructing the backquiver correctly. By the way I told David last night you really like that Old Tom!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I'm almost ashamed to say I've never tried a back quiver. I could see how useful they'd be, but the where I hunt, I'd be snagging them on branches for sure.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I share your aversion to putting bow quivers (or for that matter, carbon arrows) on my Hills.  I also don't wear sneakers with dress suits or put pickle juice on my icecream.  Call me crazy.

Back quivers seem to work best when:

1.)  They are supple enough to conform to the flat of your back/upper shoulder (more comfort, less bounce or roll, better for keeping arrows from rattling around).

2.)  The quiver is worn at a slight angle such that the opening is roughly behind your 'shooting ear'.  Lots of folks seem to like a more severe carry angle that puts the quiver almost diagonal on their back and the opening further from the top of the shoulder.  To each his own, but that position makes it harder to access an arrow and requires either pulling the strap to raise the quiver or using the bow hand to 'bump' the quiver base and push the opening up and towards the ear for grabbing the nock end of the arrow (the right place to grab one).  The latter can be a bother and more than a little annoying in tight quarters.

3.)  Use a quiver that is smaller than larger.  Large quivers are both heavier and harder to maneuver than lighter, less bulky models.  Be careful of adding to much 'stuff' into/onto quivers (knives, hawks, antler decorations, strapping on spare clothing, etc.), since this can affect how it balances and rides.  If you do add stuff and it has much weight, best to keep it lower than higher so that the quiver's center of gravity stays low.  Few situations require carrying more than 6 to 8 arrows and since smaller quivers are easier to maneuver in the woods/brush and weigh considerably less if made of leather, they make sense in most cases.  Synthetic material, though not as "cool" or traditional as leather, is often much lighter and in that sense does have it's advantages.

Other than this the best way to find what works for you is via trial/error/regular use.  Back quivers do grow on you if given the chance.  I hardly even notice I have mine on anymore... sorta like an old favorite hat.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Whats your main problem with the quiver, are you having trouble reaching the arrows?

I went from a back quiver to a side kick style quiver but couldn't stay away from the back quiver, its speed and ease of drawing and replacing arrows can't be beaten.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I liked that article when it came out Rob,  and I still do....good stuff

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Mudd,

PM sent.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I love the boots for the arrow,  will have to see my saddle smith for some of those.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks! I really liked the article Rob.

I will make one work...one way or another so I can keep my alter ego identity..lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
hey mudd i talked to ceder ridge leather sez he ca make one that will stay more upright and wont slide down yer shoulder where i cant reach it nothing beats a backquiver for that quick second shot anyone out there own one that can testify
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Great article ROb!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jim Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks, Rob.  Was thinking of that article when I read Mudd's post.  Mr. Toll did an excellent job in describing most aspects of using/hunting with a back quiver.
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Mudd,
I am a right handed shooter and use my left elbow to push the bottom of the quiver back-which brings to top of the quiver forward  making the arrows easier to reach.  I think videos of Schulz and Hill indicate that that is what they did.  You may have thought of that but just thought I would mention it.
Kirk
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
'nuther PM Mudd  :)

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks Bud!!

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
For those having trouble keeping their backquivers upright enough to easily withdraw arrows, one way is to attach the upper end of the strap (either via the strap itself or with an added length of rawhide) to the OPPOSITE side of the quiver opening (the side farthest away from you).  This pulls the quiver tighter into your back, keeps it pointing up rather than sideways and pinches or 'sandwiches' shafts between the sides of the quiver opening.  This works well as long as you only need a few arrows at the ready (deer hunting) but isn't recommended if you need to access many arrows quickly (target shooting/small game hunting).  Again, quivers with a fairly supple upper section (near the opening) that will lay flatter to the back is reccomended to get the most versatility and best results from a backquiver.  Stiff quivers are alot harder to deal with as a hunting tool.

I'm not a fan of loading a back quiver down with lots of gear like that article suggests (that's where a fanny pack is handy, if that much gear is needed), but it can certainly be used that way if so desired.  Also, leather broadhead booties are neat but a piece of closed-cell foam fitted into the base of the quiver is an easy mod, works fine to protect the heads and helps keep arrows from shifting.

Have fun with your backquivers!    :thumbsup:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Mudd,

'nuther pm

:thumbsup:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Here is another reason that this family is just the "Best"!

Bud B. has stepped up in an attempt to help me master this back quiver thing.

Here is what he has made with his own hands and is sending to me.

How do I say thank you enough for folks like Bud except to pay it forward.

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Once the conditioner and oil sets in the colors should balance more.

Keep the Faith Mudd. Stay strong in your trials.

Bud

<><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©