3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall Tent Set-Up??  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Scioto

• Trad Bowhunter
Wall Tent Set-Up??
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
I recently bought a 12x12 wall tent, and had some questions regarding the set-up and poles. I am trying to decide the best pole set-up to use...2x4's or heavy gauge sched. 40 PVC pipe. 3" for the ridge pole and uprights and 2" for the side supports. I have never heard of anyone using PVC, but the more I think about it, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I could use shorter lengths and connect togather with T joints.  It's not any heavier or bulkier  than wood, and it won't rot or swell from wet conditions. Am I missing something? Can anyone see any reason why it may not be the best choice?

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wall Tent Set-Up??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I have been using a Cabelas 12' X 14' wall tent for years and would not use anything but the steel tubing frame it came with...Gotta think about a snow load and how heavy it is...Most of the metal frame connections have triangular support and will not flex...I would think that PVC fittings are not designed for that weight and application...Wood like 2X4s might just be too much work...(think about how you will need to build and connect angles)...Why not just purchase a steel frame that will last a lifetime?

What Ever You Decide...Good Luck!!!

.....  mike  .....
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
This is no help -- but I sure wish I had a wall-tent and it was September and I was in a public lands wilderness somewhere sitting that sucker up! I hope it brings you plenty good times and memories.

Offline bullofthewoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I've got a 12 x 14 footer and use black pipe (like for a natural gas line) for the ridge pole and uprights.  Ridge pole in 3 pieces w/ unions and tees.  Uprights are two pieces and screw right into the tees.  The tent sags the black pipe just a little, but it will hold a heavy load.  I use 2x2 lumber for the sides.  Works great.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I have used PVC, dimensional lumber, lodge pole pine, and metal frames, for wall tents, only use metal frames made by the manufacture now.  The ease of use and durability of the metal frames makes it a no brainer decision in my experience.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Take a look at  www.davistent.com.   They will sell you the internal frame joints and plans on how to cut the pipe you need.  I bought the external frame from them which works good in wind and snow.  Good service too.
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
A 12' piece of 3" PVC will bow quite a bit even before you get some wet heavy snow on it.

Eric

Offline Desert Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Schd 40 will shatter if it gets too cold.  I have experience in that department.   :knothead:

Brad

Offline sndmn11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
Bill Shepard is right, but you if you go that route you will want to have the tent laid out in fornt of you so that you can measure it correctly, and answer any other questions that they will ask you.  i am not sure how much you could save as i dont know how much pvc pipe is, but 1" emt isnt very expensive and it works.  ive worked for Davis Tent and i cant think that if pvc pipe worked the best they wouldnt be using it.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:40:00 AM »
until a bear versus tent incident; I used chain link fence tubing- that runs along the top of the fence. They had connectors that the pipe just pushed into; and I cut the ridge pole into short enough pieces to be able to pack it on my pack critters. I also had 'T' connectors made by cutting a connector in half and welding half to the side of a connector; and used them at the ends of the poles for uprights. The uprights were cut and connectors used to make it easier to pack.
 I could put the ridge pole and uprights up and then pull out the ropes on the sides; and I did not need anything to support the edge of the roof; the ropes were spiked* to the ground and tightened.
 I gave up on waterproofing stuff - and just covered the tent with a plastic tarp.
 Spent a month at a time in it; and in snow- it had a woodstove.
 Now I have a 12x12 alaknac and I am really impressed with it! REALLY! With a woodstove its OK in extreme cold and the venting keeps it liveable in direct sun.
  My Swedish bowhunting buddy put a really large rock on the woodstove; and once heated; it would keep the tent warm after we went to sleep.
 Nice to wake up to a warm tent- and I had never seen anyone do that before; it really worked.
 I sleep on a cot with a foam pad; and a sleeping bag canvas sleeping bag cover.
 I like wall tents because you can have wet clothes and hang them up and with the woodstove going- dry them out.
 I am 6-3 and really like room to stand up and walk around- if you get stuck in a tent in severe weather- the ability to stand up and walk around  is a real plus.
 I think its a good idea to have another tent for cooking- other than the one your sleeping in.....
 I have a 10x12 for that; and where I hunt finding wood poles is not a problem; and I tie one end to a tree at the right height;and then on the door end of the tent- I use two poles crossed over to support the other end of the ridge pole.
 If you have enough rope; and enough imagination; you can get the sides up without too much effort.
 I really enjoy tent camping....

* if you buy 10 or 12 inch spikes from a hardware store- they work perfectly; are easy to take out if you take two of them; and use them as a clamp: to pull out stubborn spikes. They weigh more - more they last forever.  :campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I have 2 frames for my tents, one black pipe and one made out of 2" alum. irrigation pipe.

unless your gonna have your tent set up for long periods in cold wet weather or snow the internal metal frame is the way to go. My homemade corner brackets for the 2" frame can be used for lodgepole and I like the internal lodgepole frame for the wintertime. Lodgepole dosn't get condesation on it like the pipe frame, and I drive nails in the poles for hanging gear to dry. When a tent is set up for a couple monthes in the winter I think the lodgepole internal frame in steel corner brackets is the best, I also put a pole outside on the ridge and cover the roof with a cheap plastic tarp. This lets the snow buildup slide off, you shovel it away from the sidewalls and use it for insulation.

What ever you go with, I think your gonna enjoy your wall tent. Please post some pics of your camp when you get it all tuned in. RS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©