3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why is left helical so popular?  (Read 457 times)

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Why is left helical so popular?
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I've noticed on many of the pre-finished wood arrows from places like 3rivers and Black Widow all have left wing feathers. I have shot both left and rigt wing out of my bows and have not noticed a diffrence in the way they shoot. So my question is why do the high end custom arrow makers seem to prefer left wing?
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why is left helical so popular?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
So my question is why do the high end custom arrow makers seem to prefer left wing? [/QB]
True, you would kinda expect them to be conservative instead!?!?!?!?!?!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHunterGA:

So my question is why do the high end custom arrow makers seem to prefer left wing? [/b]
True, you would kinda expect them to be conservative instead!?!?!?!?!?!    :bigsmyl:  [/QB]
HA.  I like that one.  The ONLY time I take left over right wing is when fletching arrows.  

My reason is simple.  My jig is set up to do left and I would have to change some thing to do right.  I HATE change.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
First, left wing isn't that popular.  Most home-rollers tend to do right helicals.  Left wing is a bit cheaper because of this, so some of the bigger arrow makers buy lefts.

Second, if you set your arrows up cock feather at 90 degrees out from the bow, left helicals point up and away from the archers hand.  It's a little thing, but arrows that nick your customers bow hands don't encourage repeat sales.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
It used to be because of availability. Years ago turkey breeders use to clip the right wings on young birds so there were many more left wing feathers available. The way the birds are bred and raised today I doubt there is even a need to clip the birds.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Also, there used to be, and to some extent still is, a thought that right handed shooters needed to use left wing fletching. Since most archers are right handed... etc, etc.
We now know that unless there is a clearance issue such as Jeff mentions, it doesn't matter which wing is used, they fly the same.

I did have a fellow say that at the 60 yd target he noticed he was shooting slightly to the right and that was obviously because I used right wing feathers on his arrows. I just said, "hmmmm," and didn't say anything. No sense in getting into an argument.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
I shoot left handed and shoot right wing fletching.

Besides the psychological aspect of having the arrow spin away from the bow shelf, opposite hand fletching permits me to touch the feather to my nose at full draw, therefore becoming my final anchor point as well as a draw check.

Since the majority shoot right handed, similar thoughts/anchoring techniques may possibly also be a factor in the demand for left wing fletching.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Because "MOST" are Wronghanded ...Right ??? {he he} ...

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
More right handed shooters out there=more left helical feathers.  For right handed bows, the left helical are thought to fly more true off the bow.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Wheelie bow shops almost always carry right wing feathered arrows, at least in my area.  I always thought this was because the direction of the arrow rotation on RW arrows tightens the field points.  LW feathers tend to loosen the screw in point.  
When I started building arrows in the 1990s most wood arrow guys shot LW, at least in my area.  LW was a little cheaper and with a glue on point it didn't matter.  Chad

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
Why is left so popular? Because all us Aussies have flogged the right ones!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
nobody buyed them so they flechted the commercial arrow with to put down the stock ?

oups !   :knothead:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
it's a little known fact that you have to match your helical to suit which hemisphere you are in. think of water going going down the sink. you have to match the direction of rotation.

it's true.....LOL
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline StephenG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
I am a right handed person with a dominate left eye. When I shot right handed, prior to switching to left, I fletched all of my arrows with a left helical so they would spin away and off of the shelf as quickly as possible to eliminate interference with the shelf. Now I really don't think it amounts to a hill of beans. I was always told to fletch opposite your shooting hand for this very reason.

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Left handed,left wing.Right handed, right wing.To make rotation of arrow away from bow shelf,not into it.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom Mussatto:
It used to be because of availability. Years ago turkey breeders use to clip the right wings on young birds so there were many more left wing feathers available. The way the birds are bred and raised today I doubt there is even a need to clip the birds.
I have heard this too.  Since there were more left wing feathers available, more jigs were sold with left wing clamps.  Once you get a jig and making arrows, people tend to stick with it to keep things consistent.  When I bought my first Bitz jig from a shop going out of business thirty years ago all they had were left wing clamps.  They gave me the same reason as Tom pointed out.  Anyone starting out now can go either way, there seems to be no lack of right or left wing feathers.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I've heard it has something to do with the arrow's paradox.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
A bit more on the clipping of wings, as raising chickens and turkeys in this area is prominent, most people are right handed. The farm workers would hold the turkey down and extend the right wing with their left hand and use their strong (right) hand to do the clipping. Much like using scissors.

I know a fellow who is disabled from working hard at catching chickens and turkeys for a living to load them for processing. Bad on the back all that bending and stooping is...
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
If you watch slow motion videos of arrows being shot they don't start spinning until they are clear of the bow.  Left wing predominance has to do with the previously stated reason of clipping wings so birds couldn't fly.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
What tom Mussatto said, Most workers on the farms were right handed so that's the wing that got clipped, hence all the left wings. Heard this from a archery dealer back in the late 60's or early 70's.   :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©