3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm experimenting with different fletching  (Read 150 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm experimenting with different fletching
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I'm still pretty new to fletching, but having alot of fun and learning.  I just recently finished up three batches to compare and contrast. 5" LW shields, 4" LW parabolics, and 5.5" LW bananas (the bananas were kindly given by member Huntschool...thanks Bruce!)

I've been playing around with these six arrows in my quiver for a couple of days.  The shields and bananas are on GT Trad 3555's with 175gns up front (total weight roughly 465gns) and the paras are on Beman MFX Classic 500's, also with 175 up front (total weight 475gns).  I've also been playing around with cock feather in and cock feather out.

I know for better testing I should have the paras on GT's as well, but I've really been wanting to try out the Bemans as member David Janssen had let me try out his and I loved the way they fly for me.

This testing is by no means super scientific, I just wanted to mix these six arrows into a few shooting sessions and see if any noticable differences (for me) emerged.  Bow used was a 1970 Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28 with a B-50 string, one pair of cat whiskers and felt pads on the limbs.  Range was 15 yards.  

This was my first use of banana fletching, and at first I was a little put off.  I thought the 5.5" size was adding drag, but after my initial discomfort (which I now think was just a reaction to the visual appearance/size) these are really growing on me.  They are flying great, and seem to be really thumping the target.  I'm pretty sure I'm getting a little more FPS with these over the shields, but at this time I don't have a chrono to verify.

All three seem to give this shooter similar flight characteristics.  For me, one fletch does not stand out from the others in performance.  If anything,  this amatuer test showed me that any of these fletching options would serve an archer just fine for flight.

As for sound, yes the shields gave me just a little more noise going down range.  But I thought the increase was slight, though not negligible.  For me the parabolics were whisper quiet to the point of being non-existant audibly.  The bananas were somewhere between the shields and the paras.

While I would take any of these three to the field, I'm going to fletch up some more 4" parabolics (both on Bemans and GT's) for my fall hunting.  I would like to try some low profile bananas next.  I think they might be really interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I get so much information off this site that I wanted to try giving a little back.

Andrew
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline compound_convert

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm experimenting with different fletching
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
nice, thanks for the info. as a newbie to trad shooting, trying to soak up as much info as possible.let me know on the low pro bananas, really interested in those.

Offline Gufunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
What fletching gig are you using?
Excel 21" w/Kaya Tomcats 40#
Excel 21" w/SF Axioms #35
Morrison Phoenix 19" w/ Max 1 #48
Toelke Lynx 66" LB 50#
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~ Ben Franklin

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I'm using a Grayling. Very affordable, even if you get the LW, RW, and straight clamps.  I had read of alot of members here who liked these jigs.  Though obviously a Bitz would be nice, I find the Grayling works just fine for me.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Oh..how fun it is to play.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks, I have yet to try the banana cut. Should shoot and stabilize real well.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I am so grateful to those of you who enjoy making arrows.

Nice job on your fletching.

Keep up your trials and let us know what works for you.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©