3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a boy named Robert  (Read 251 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
a boy named Robert
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
MAny here have been following my elk threads, if you have, you have heard a little piece of the story I'm goingto unfold.If not, please, pull up a chair. This one will tug at your heartstrings.

I teach, and am a past Director at a youth outdoors education camp called Camp WIlderness.
In my 13+ years of teaching kids, I've been blessed to meet a lot of kids.Hundreds of them, all with a yearning to be safe, ethical stewarts of the outdoors. This is the story of one of them.

Each summer, we gather our staff family and around 45-50 kids for a weekend of outdoors education-hunter safety, IBEP, and our own recipe of responsible, ethical participation in hunting. We get a herd of youngsters betwseen 10-15 yrs old from all walks of life. Some haveno experience, some a bunch.

In 2005, in my first full year as Camp Director, we had one kid show up at camp that immediately caught the attention of most all of the staff. His name was Robert. Robert came from a hunting family, and was as bright as the morning sun.
But beyond that, he was the most polite, helpful, entusiastic kid I'd seen in some time.
After morning the morning Pledge of Allegiance and morning prayer, he walked up to Greg, who does the prayer and thanked him.

As camp went on, Robert won the archery competition, the air gun competition, and was a soe in for the Camper of the Year award. He literally ran tha table, and rightly so. His infectious smile and enthusiasm made you like the kid right off. If something flew out of it, he could shoot it. If there was fish in it, he'd catch 'em. At this point, Robert was a whopping 12 yrs old.

Fast forward to 2009. I get a call out of the blue. " Mr. McIntosh, my name is Robert ____________, I dont know if you remember me from Camp, but I had such a great time and learned so much from you all, I want to ask you if there is something I can do at camp to help out."

Well I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I knew right off there was no way I could tell this kid no. ASa it was, MI DNR had just started a youth hunter safety instructor apprentice program. I was already planning on signing my son Alex up, so I told Robert I'd do the same for him, and he could assist our insructors with classes.

Well Robert showed up, and we put him, and Alex to work. Those 2 boys hit it right off. Brothers of another mother. Even after camp was over, they kept in touch, and more recently they were always chatting on the phone, texting each other etc.

Along the way, Robert had tinkered with the longbow. He was fascinated watching myself and few of our trad shooting staff put on demonstrations of instinctive archery for the kids, and teaching any who wanted how to shoot a trad bow. He would call me off and on through the yr to tell me how he as doing with his longbow.

At camp, he'd challenge me, pickingout tough shots etc. I, as well as others worked with him, encouraged him and razzed him along the way. But when it came right down to it, I could see a trad bowhunter in the making. He still hunted with his wheels, lacking that last little bit of confidence to totally take the leap.

The day of my sons open house, robert drove 2 hrs to attend, and he and Alex shot their bows in the yard for a couple hours before everyone else arrived. a few days afterwards, we left for Colorado for our elk hunt.

While out there, I recieved the terrible news- Robert had killed himself on Sept 10th. Needless to say, we are devastated.

I've dealt with suicide more times than any one man should have too as a crusty old retired firefighter/paramedic. this one gut punched me.

So why am I sharing all this here you may wonder?

Kids this age don't deal with some things well. Rejection being top of the list. Part of what pushed Robert to do what he did was over being jilted by a girl. I've seen it too many times.
In a moment of weakness and rejection, when they feel they're at the bottom, they make a stupid decision. There arent any warning signs. They dont seek out help. They just do it. And in the process, leave the rest of us wondering why, and leave us hurting.

we lost a fine young man, and a Brother of the Bow.

Please take the time if you have teenage or adolescent kids and have an open and heartfelt talk with them. Its an ugly uncomfortable subject talking about suicide. But doing so may very well prevent it. I have a close friend who lost a child in the same manner and hes told me many times they never saw it coming.

My son lost a dear friend, as did I. a young man with everything going for him- honor roll grades, a senior in high school, helpful, polite kid with a passion for the outdoors,archery and hunting. a Brother of the Bow for sure. we lost one of our trad family.

Thank you for allowing me to share this tragedy in hopes in some way it can prevent another.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: a boy named Robert
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
What can one say but "I'm so very sorry." And I am.

Prayers sent.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I am speechless!

It is so sad when our young people can't find enough answers to help them make it threw a difficult time.

I am also sorry for you and your son's loss.

God bless you all.

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Sorry i dont really know what to say but im praying for both of you.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
I will be talking with all three of my kids tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, no easy task.
David M. Conroy

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
When I was still working in the ER of the local children's hospital, I too saw the wreckage of a child's impulsive decision making. Those are children I will never be able to forget. I am very sorry to hear about your friend, especially after just reading your wonderful hunting story. I will keep you all in my daily thoughts and prayers...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Robert's story.  It tugged at my heart and brought tears to my eyes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Rasta, trust me, it still brings tears to my eyes.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
I am very sorry to hear about the loss, I have a 14 year old sister, who attended a funeral for a 15 year old friend of hers that took his own life last week.  my prayers will be with all of Roberts friends and family.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Prayers for your Family and his.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Prayers sent from Iowa also.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
John, Thanks for sharing. Such a great loss for all. God Bless
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
That is a deeply moving story well told, straight from the heart.  We should all know to talk to our kids about this, but this kind of reminder makes it real.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
:pray:    :pray:

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I my thoughts and Prayers are with Robert and his family.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Thank you for your sad story. Very sad. I'm going to make a real point to be a shining example & positive influence for the kids on my schoolbus. God Bless you John for all your work & love of these kids. FWIW, you've influenced me. Prayers sent for you & family.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jim Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Yep, that hurts the heart...  Prayers up for you, your son, and all who loved this young man.
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
That is a hard one to deal with! My thoughts are with you and your son. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
It really breaks my heart to hear such a sad story. May the Lord Jesus Christ take him into his kingdom. Prayers for his family and for you and your son. May Christs peace be with you all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©