3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height  (Read 144 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
Do you adjust your brace height when you change out to heavier limbs? Can anyone tell me what happens if you make the brace height too high or too low?

Samick Sage - switching from 30lbs to 45lbs limb. About 29"-30" draw length. Arrow length is 31".

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
too high and you will loose speed, but be quiet.  too low and the bow could actually un-string its self when you shoot, not good.  Call the bowyer who made the bow and ask what brace height range is suggested for the bow. I am by no means an expert but I would just call to prevent any damages that I may cause by getting it wrong.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Samick recommend 7.5" to 8.25". Since I'm a newbie I wasn't sure what I am looking for when adjusting brace height.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Samick recommend 7.5" to 8.25". Since I'm a newbie I wasn't sure what I am looking for when adjusting brace height.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
bolo, I would suggest you start in the middle(7 7/8") of brace height and as you shoot adjust(2 twists) in one direction higher or lower to see how it affects your arrow. If no effect go other way until, and you will be able to tell, you find the height that gives you the bows best performance. You may even have to twist only 1 turn per direction to get it dialed in.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Changing lmbs effectively gives you a new bow, and you have to start the tuning process over again, if I understand the question properly.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Just a tip on the samick if you get a new flemish FF string it will perform way better than with the Factory string.  Just sayin.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I already upgraded to the Flemish FF string.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
Changing lmbs effectively gives you a new bow, and you have to start the tuning process over again, if I understand the question properly.
That is why I asked.  :)  I changed out to the higher poundage limbs and kept the same twist on the string that I had on the 30lb limb. I double checked the brace height after your post and the brace height was under the factory recommendation. I never thought it would have affected the brace height that much. Now time to head to the range to see how the arrows fly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©