3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Having a hard time getting motivated this year  (Read 433 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Having a hard time getting motivated this year
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Hey all,

Just needing to vent here.  I am having a really hard time getting motivated to go hunting this year.  Work is tough although I am happy to have a job, and I dont have a hunting buddy to push me along.  On top of that I havent had a shot at a deer in two seasons and am bummed about that.  LOL.  Guess just throwing a pity party.  Any other guys feel this way?  If so how do you get out of the slump.

Thanks for letting me whine a little.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Having a hard time getting motivated this year
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
dang, id think finding some hunting buddies in nebraska wouldnt be that hard.  where you at down there?  all i can say is look on the bright side of things. you have a job, and a hobby you are passionate about.  many people in the world are not so fortunate!  and think about it, it only takes one deer getting in range to make a VERRRRRRRY good day...
is it September yet??

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I also work a lot, at a minimum 50 hours a week.

I also have 2 children.

I am sooo grateful to have a job. And I actually like my job, although it isn't glamorous, because of the guys I get to work with.

My take on hunting is that just being in the woods, sitting perched in a comfy stand 15 feet in the air is a gift unto itself.

Being away from everything, in tune with nature, dozing off from time to time, enjoying silence, etc. is extremely relaxing and fulfilling.

Deer are just a bonus.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Exact opposite situation here.  I can't wait.  Picked up my bows last Nov. after 12 years of them sitting in a hard case due to life's roller coaster.  Spent all year learning from folks on here how to be a better shooter than I've been in the 42 years I've shot trad.  Now I'm ready to hunt....replaced a lot of gear that went by the wayside during several moves, and got the call today that my invite to hunt on a friends place is solid....I'm psyched.  I just told Magnus that when I get out there I might just plot an escape route and not come back!...lol.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
You gotta find a way that makes you enjoy hunting without a kill, thats just a bonus!!! Stick with it and don't try to hard it can make it worse. If your out there enjoying yourself it will happen just stick with it!!! Been there done that!!!

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Been in the same spot before. You work real hard and nobody clse to you seems to care about the hunt, your always tired, work sucks blah, blah. Maybe some aspect of shooting equipment or form is not quite right. For whatever reason, your just not feelin "IT".

Don't feel too bad about it. "IT" usually comes back.

Best of luck!

Brian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Thats what friends are for.

C

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I sure am glad I don't have your problem , been bowhunting 40+ years and haven't missed an opening day yet , only 2 times of year : hunting season and waiting for hunting season . My Goodwife says I act like a kid every fall , not a bad thing .  When you get out in the woods think how lucky you are , as it's been said taking a deer is just a bonus to the whole expierience.
Greyfox54

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Caleb it took me 4 years to get my first shot. The good things in life are worth waiting for.

Hap

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
I understand what you mean Caleb.  I don't have a thing to complain about.  We built a new house and finishing before the rains start here in western Washington is the main focus.  Haven't shot my bow all summer. Early elk season ends tomarro and I never bought a tag.  1st year in 30 plus years I have missed an opening day.
 I figure once things are wrapped up with the house I will pull out the bows and get excited again.  We will see.

BigArcher

Offline Kninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm sure you've probably already seen it, but I just saw it for the first time a few days ago. I watched the episode of The Best and Worst of Tred Barta after his injury where he goes white tail hunting in Texas. My wife comes home from work during the last few minutes of the show, and I'm only the couch crying like a baby.

I had to show her the full episode, to defend myself of course. When it ends all she says is, "It makes you thankful for what you've got." And she couldn't have been more right.
"Life is not about the destination, it's the journey."

Tred Barta

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Where are you in nebraska?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Keep your head up bro!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I hear ya, it sucks when the ups are few and the downs are many. But like huntnmuleys said up there, all it takes is ONE TIME for that occurance to happen and it washes away years of negatives.
Get your butt out there and enjoy yourself. Damn, Nebraska is at least one heck of a place to be down in the dumps!
Have a good season, good luck!
David M. Conroy

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I understand how you feel.I've been there.I feel like when i get into the work mode it's hard to break out of it.The bosses wanted me there all night friday night and all day saturday.Thats on top of working all week.I told them i couldnt do it.Wich is very rare for me.I went squrriel hunting with my dad yesterday morning.I feel like a new man this morning.Sometimes it just takes breaking your day in day out pattern.Once you get a chance to set in the woods for a little while you decompress a little.Things just look and feel better.Alot of effort goes into bow hunting.Find a way to make it as simple as possible.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I don't mean to sound callous but maybe you've outgrown hunting. Unless your hunting for sustenance that your family can't do without there's no reason to force your hand to hunt. I would think that hunting while feeling the way you do will give you a worse taste. I have 2 active sons that I dedicate 99% of my being, work a 60 hours a week speed of light job, a social life with wife so hunting alone is sometimes all that I want to do to clear my head. Give it a rest and dedicate yourself to another activity that you like. You might come back, you mind find that you don't want to. This isn't for everyone. A sincere good luck to you and hope you find what your looking for.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Like I said before guys thanks for the encouragement.  Its funny how you wake up and things always seem better in the morning light.  Its a long season and so what if I cant get out opening weekend because of work and weather????  Its good to be alive and to have the opportunity to hunt or not no matter what the answer is.  

C

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey, see the deer in my avatar? Several years ago I had to work the entire hunting season. I missed the first archery season in my life and was ready to go looking for a high bridge to jump off. In January, i had an opportunity to go (by myself) check out a small farm property in western PA. It was a 9 hour ride. The late black powder season was still going, so I took my bow and went to scout more than anything, get away from it all and have some down time. I had the weekend to get back. I got stuck in an ice storm on the way there and the ride took me 12 hours. Talk about depressed. But the next day, look what I shot from the ground right after finding a freshly dropped shed at 10 a.m.!  
I looked up to the sky and said  "Okay, I get it!"

David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Up, this is getting lost and I want Caleb to read it!
David M. Conroy

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
man,i feel just like you do right now.last year i had a hunting partner but this year i dont.guess i got used to it.seasons started and i havnt been out once yet.im busy with work but know i could make the time.my wife says she'll go hunting and trapping with me this year but i know that will be tuff for her too.i wanna just get out their and not worry if iv got a partner or not,think im in a depressed slump iv gotta shake.seeing myself even write this makes me feel like a whiner,lol.
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©