3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: EFOC and accuracy  (Read 167 times)

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
EFOC and accuracy
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but have you gents who shoot relatively high FOC (for example, lightweight shafts and 300 to 350 grains up front, noticed an overall increase in your accuracy in addition to an increase in penetration?  Notwithstanding the importance of form and shooting mechanics, does EFOC have any relation at all to accuracy of the shot? Just wondering about your experiences.
Thanks for any comments.
Dick

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: EFOC and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I believe that proper arrow tune has more to do with better overall accuracy than does EFOC,form and shooting mechanics being a given.

I have a bighorn that shoots a 12% FOC 2216 lights out and the same bow with an easton FMJ 340 & 29% EFOC that also shoots like a laser beam.

I find that the FMJ flies much better in a hard crosswind.However on any given day my accuracy is not up to snuff and I know that it's not the setup.I hope this makes sense.
Jeff Couture

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Accuracy is about consistency in form, execution, and tune rather than a single element like EFOC. However an arrow with a higher FOC will usually be more forgiving of slight deviations in form, execution and windy conditions. High (above 15%) and Extreme FOC is about penetration first, any increase in forgiveness is an added benefit and not the goal.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
i'm with jeff and mike - freeform aiming sport accuracy starts with consistency of form.  for us trad bowhunters, the rest is up to well flying arrows that are at least 9gpp and group as well as they fly, then comes a really sharp coc broadhead.  the rest of the stuff - foc, efoc, uefoc, skinny strings, fletchings, etc - is contentious and subjective to at least a fair degree.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I have not heard of the paper punchers extolling the virtues of efoc.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I have not heard of the paper punchers extolling the virtues of efoc.
you can't kill paper, it's already dead.       :laughing:    

sorry, hadda type that.     :D    

anyhoo, yeah, we used heavy nibb points for better tracking and wind handling at the really longer marks, up to 90m.  even back in the 60's we realized the value of upping the point weight (and heavier arrows and smaller vanes and heavier bow holding weights).

i think there might be benefits to added foc for longer shots, but more important is the need for good overall arrow weight (10gpp for starters).  my woodies all work well with 125gr points and about 11gpp with only about 12% foc.  my carbons need 200-300gr up front and are 11-12gpp with about 25-30% uefoc - and i'll tell ya, they sure can penetrate Deep.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
To me personally, accuracy is merely a possible bi-product of excellent and consistent form execution.

My opinion on hi range EFOC and Ultra-EFOC arrows is that they are quite discernably more forgiving. Bare shafting out to twenty-five yards, my Ultra-EFOC arrows will still hit the mark using different shaft lengths, nock points and brace ht settings. The flight may be quite poor, yet they are programmed for 'direct flight' and will still strike the mark. I then adjust the set-up for perfect visible flight. Actually a tuned Ultra-EFOC will kick once and then I can not track it down range. I then re-validate with a BH at 3 yards and 25 yards.

Note: Tested poor flight Ultra-EFOC with BH's and they still hit the mark out to 20 yards.

Note: In the past, I had totally left out arrow entry angle and arrow fight and only focused on the bare shaft placement relative to the fletched shaft and re-validated with the BH set-up.

My experience also in the past has been that if I had a normal FOC bare-shaft tuned, I could still have the the BH tipped arrow striking 4"s left. All I had to do was add possibly a 1/4-3/8"s to the brace height and the the bare shaft, fletched shaft and BH tipped shaft would strike the mark. Takes much more to move an Ultra-EFOC shaft off its 'direct flight' design.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I haven't gone over 250 grains but I can actually see better arrow flight with my arrows with 200+ grains up front. If that helps in better accuracy then I would have to say "yes" to your question. On the other hand, why would anyone shoot an arrow that, however it is built, would give you less accuracy?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments fellas. That's kind of what I thought, but I appreciate hearing what you had to say about the question. I guess there's no way around solid form and shooting mechanics LOL!
Thanks again,
Dick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©