3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow draw weight  (Read 367 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow draw weight
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I am looking for a new(to me) recurve been on a lot of sights and all the bows I have seen have been lower poundage bows 40 45 48#s. I wanted a take down with a little more nock down. I wanting something 55 or more what do ya'll hunt with and how do you tune a lower poundage bow to hunt with? I have a 40# amf hawk with a new string and ready to go but dont know if thats enough to hunt with. Whats the farthest yardage you would shoot this bow at an animal.  Mike

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow draw weight
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Sharp two blade broadhead, 10-12 gpp arrow, and a well placed shot under 15 yards... 40# will definitely get the job done, though I wouldn't go after anything bigger than deer.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
thanks for the help I dont hunt anything larger than deer but please keep this going Mike

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
First off,bows don't have "knock down". 40 lbs will kill any deer walking. I hunt w/ low 40's to low 50's and don't have any problem killing stuff. I have taken many deer w/ low forties bows and have gotten complete pass throughs.Even took a large boar and got an exit hole through both shoulders w/ a 44lb bow.Here is a Mule deer Itook 2 years ago w/ 44lbs.He was close to 300 lbs

If you can handle more weight fine, but it's not needed in my opinion.
 I have taken antelope out to 35yds w/ bows in the 40's.

Here is a Zebra I just took w/ 51 lbs.

Tuning is the same for every bow .Make your arrows are flying perfect and you'll do fine.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
40# will kill 'em. It's knowing when to hold or fold that experience teaches IMO. Admire your sights on heavier.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I went from shooting a 73# compound to a 45# recurve I was drawing to about 40# when I started. I was full of doubt about my shooting and the bow. I couldn't afford to get another bow so I worked on getting as accurate as I could. A week into season that first year I had two deer down and no doubts about what a 40# bow and a well placed arrow can do.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
As far as distance, I dont even like to shoot 25 yards no matter what the poundage. At longer distances an otherwise perfect shot can go bad at the slightest flinch of the animal..but to each their own on that. Not trying to preach.

Shoot what you can. If you can shoot 100 pounds accurately and easily then you should. If you are overbowed and cant hit the side of a barn, definitely drop.
More weight is always better "IF IF IF IF" you can handle it fine.
But as these guys said, plenty of game has fallen to 40 pounds if thats what you accurately shoot.
Nothing wrong with lower weight if you can put a sharp broadhead where it belongs, but more weight is good when things go wrong.( bone hits, dense muscle, etc.)
David M. Conroy

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
what counts most is your consistent stick bow accuracy.  draw weight will matter with regards to the kinda critters you'll hunt.  40# for whitetail will depend on your hunt venue f&g regulations.  tailor the bow's holding weight to the animal(s) hunted, work on your form and aim, don't rush it and don't hunt until you have confident accuracy at sane hunting distances (15-25 yards or so max), strive for well flying arrows that are at least 9gpp, employ really sharp coc broadheads.  seek out a local mentor that's trad bowhunting savvy.  even the best trad bowhunters were pilgrims at one time.  enjoy the ride!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
killed may first deer a doe with a 41# black creek banshee longbow...i was using a goldtip pro shaft 3555 and a real sharp stos two blade broadhead...hard to beat that broadhead,,she was 18 yards and i was hunting out of a pop up blind ,shot through the net and got a complete pass through on her ,she went 40 yards and killed over ....that was 4 years ago ..shooting 64# now .cause was going to do some elk hunting in colorodo ,but my bud who is stationed at fort collins is going to afganastan for 9 months ....so i will be using that bow and 850 grain arrow for deer ..i think it will do lol....but 40lbs with a very good arrrow and a sharp 2 blade will work ...shot placement is the key.....good luck   ..and go kill em and get some backstraps!
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with 40# as long as you are accurate.
I've killed deer with everything from 35# to 110#, my preferred weight is 70#-80#. Only because I've always shot heavier weights, even when I was young. Grew up shooting them and just seems natural for me. As long as you tune the arrows to the bow there should be no problems, just be realistic about the game you are after. (don't go chasing water buffalo with 40#)
I do shoot bows in the 50# range when hunting small game, but will use 60# and up normally for water fowl and other large birds, (just for the little increase in fps).
There are plenty of folks that shoot the lighter weights, in fact it seems to be the norm these days. Just because some of us prefer heavier poundage doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the lighter end as long as you are consistent.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
My wife has shot a bunch of deer with bows that are 38 pounds at her draw of 26.5" using perfect flying 420 to 430 grain arrows with Grizzly and Zwicky Eskimo broadheads. she hunts on the ground and is very good at shot timing. The longest she will shoot is 25 yards and the deer need to be in a calm attitude and the right angle or she lets them pass. If you have a good draw length and have perfect flying arrows with a sharp two blade up front, the rest will be up to you. If you do your part the chances are good that your equipment will do its job. It would be worse if you had a stiff bow that you would lose control of when you were suffering from the cold or buck fever. An accurate clean flying arrow from a 40 pound bow is a lot deadlier than a sloppy flying arrow from a bow that is too stiff.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys I was out side shooting my bow and I did like the fight of the arrow but I think I need some release practice I was woundering what gain length tip weight to help me get started bow is 40#s at 28 I'm pulling to 27 1/2 and checked it. 42#s with everything ya'll have said I am ready to shoot this will work fine so help me with my arrow and I'll get started .  thanks Mike

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
What arrow are you shooting? How long?

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Rob I had a bunch of different arrows to try to find the right one 28" GT 5575 with 100gn tip
29 1/2 GT 5575 100gn tip
31" GT 5575 100gn tip
31" GT 3555 100gn tip
 Also shot each arrow with a 250gn tip and none of the arrow really shot all that differant I could hit the middle of the bag target with all of them I like Gold Tip arrows so could you point me in the right direction.  Mike

I also think some of this had to do with my release and form. I was about 8 to 12 yds from target please help

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Others know a bunch more about this than I do but these should be close.

Heavy setup- GT 5575 30in. 170gr. head with 100gr. brass= about 566gr. total

Lighter setup- Gt 3555 30in. 170gr. head with regular insert= about 465gr. total

I'm a goldtip fan also.

Rob

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I guess I need to buy a set of scales and weigh the heads I have.  I will go get a few more arrows and try them thanks and if someone else has something to add please do.   Mike  

thanks Rob

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
also, accurately scale yer bow at yer draw length.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
40#s is plenty if that is what you are getting at your draw. The arrows mentioned earlier the 35/55 or the 55/75s will be way too stiff even if you add all that point weight. Go with a 15/35 or other .600 spine and cut to 30"s and start from there. I have a 40# AMF recurve and I would say 29" 15/35 with 175-190 grains up front will fly perfect if ya draw 28"s. This will also give ya right around 10gpp. of arrow weight, which is good. I have killed a few deer with 42# Widow and 8gpp. so you will be fine and you can shoot as far as you are confident in your accuracy which for some trad guys is 25 yards or so, but most I have seen shoot should stick to under 20 yards IMO. Shawn
Shawn

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
OK Shawn sounds good if I can find some 1535's thanks  Mike

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Forgot to mention my wife shoots the heavier of the two setups and they bare shaft and fly great.

Rob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©