3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widoow psa owners...  (Read 682 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
black widoow psa owners...
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
got a few questions.  i am in the market for a psa....got a wild hair of sorts.  looking for more input on them.  i have never owned a widow, and only shot a psa a few times a while back.  looking at 60" as i draw 29.  

many have told me that they are a touch louder than most.  what tricks do you use to help quieten them?  i shoot 3 under so that is going to amplify it some, but im not a sound freak as some.

some have said that they have more trouble bare shafting the widows than other bows.  

grips..i want as asbell i think for the extra palm swell.  i am finding that they are hard to come across for some reason.  do moost order the standard or asbell?  

looking for more thoughts on these bows.  thanks guys

lastly..if any know where one is..send em my way!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widoow psa owners...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I've found that my PSA is a little noisier than other comparable bows.  They can be quieted down by shooting a heavier arrow or playing with the silencers.  I've asked BW, and they don't recommend putting a rubber pad in between the riser and the limbs like Bob Lee does, nor do they recommend putting anything like velcro on the limb tips to silence string slap like some other bowyers do.  Since I don't want to shoot as heavy an arrow as I would need to make much difference in the noise, I basically just put up with it.  Its good points outweighs the bad.

I bare shaft test all my bows, and have had absolutely no problem bare shafting any widow I've owned.  The owner emeritus of BW, Ken Beck, is one of the top experts in the USA in bare shaft testing, and I'm sure he would not allow a bow in his lineup that had problems in that area.

Ordering a BW with the Asbell grip is a good idea, as it can be reshaped to the standard grip if you don't like it, but not the other way around.  I like the Asbell grip, and would order any future bows from BW with that grip.  There is also a newer "Toby" grip (after the name of one of the current owners and the chief bowyer there).  I don't know anything about that grip, and you might want to inquire about it.

They made bows for many years with their standard grip before they adopted any variations, which might explain why used bows with the Asbell grip are hard to find.  Or maybe people just like them and don't sell them?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
If you really want a widow... I highly recommend a roadtrip to Nixa if it is at all possible.  Stay there all day.   Shoot every bow they have on the wall.  Take a tour of the facility and see how they make the bows.  Then shoot all the Widows again.

You will know exactly which eight or twelve Widows you want to take home with you.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I'd recommend the Asbell grip, having owned both. Also, I have no problems shooting them 3-under. Further, when I shot carbons I was easily able to bare-shaft tune (I shoot woods these days, and don't bare-shaft tune this type of arrow).
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
See my sig! Mine also has the Asbell grip!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I have a 62" psax and draws smooth to my 31" draw. I have the asbell grip and am very happy with it, again like said before if you get the asbell it can always be made into a different style grip.

I use wool yarn to silence the bow and find it does a pretty decent job. I wouldnt say it is the quietest bow i own but it is the most accurate for me, and has been the bow i grab when going hunting.

For my draw I prefer the 62" over the 60" but the 60" was also very smooth on the draw. I tend to like a longer bow.
Truth be told this is a great bow and you will be satisfied
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
I personally favor the Asbell grip over the standard.  Again, that remark is only personal and may not meet your needs. I still must strongly recommend the 'try before you buy' program.

Never had a BW that gave me any bare shaft tuning troubles.

BW's I have owned and currently own required a 2nd set of silencers set ~4"s apart centered at the quarter points significantly alleviated noise concerns. A set Terry's Hush Puppies may be the ticket. A skinny string also contributes nicely.  These bows can be quieted down w/o much effort.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »

Just figured I post a few of mine in Kingwood
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by RUSTY1:
See my sig! Mine also has the Asbell grip!
Ready to sell it?!!!   :p

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I shoot a PSAX, standard grip.  Way more standard grips available used.  I think if I order one I will get the Asbell grip.  

I needed to use wool yarn around the loops and wool yarn silencers to quiet it to my liking.  This is with an 11 gpp arrow.  14 strand d97 string.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I have found the PSA to be the best hunting recurve i have ever owned, and thats been a bunch,i have killed a bunch of critters with it,  I do put felt on the limb tips and i think it helps on string noise, i have alot of people comment on how quiet my bow is ,  thats with 10gpp arrows. I also have the asbel grip, in fact I have had 3 widows with that grip after owning a couple with the std. grip. it seems to locate the hand properly at least for me anyway
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Keep the braceheight up toward the top end of their recommendations and wrap the string with bowhush or heavy yarn and add a piece of velcro where string contacts limb, won't hurt anything(don't know why widow would say not to do it)! Also hushpuppies or other type of silencers, like fox hair or muskox work well too. Widows do not take a stiffer arrow because they shoot so hard as they used to advertise, they are cut almost 1/4" past center so they will shoot a wider range of spines but do not need a really stiff arrow. Nice bows but not real quick or quiet, but great folks to deal with and customer service second to none! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Cant speak directly to PSA's in particular but can talk about Widows....

I have an older MA III (pre FF) 62" 45@28" std grip with the old "Frost" finish.  Its a killer...

My thoughts on noise...  My MA is quiet with 4 wool puff silencers.

I shoot AD Nitro Stingers with yellow lettering on this bow and have no trouble getting them to tune.  I am in fact personaly positive that they are THE ARROW to shoot... for me at least as I shoot them (AD's) on all my Widows.

The Asbell grip is a good idea if you like a "handfull".  Widows, for me, are contagious. I have several and want more.

Got any other questions PM me...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Im ready to get my hands on one..just gotta find the right one.  The grip is my hold up..I found a super nice one with the standard grip, but something keeps telling me to hold off for a little bit to find s clean one with the asbell grip.  Man its tough!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I did find my PSA-V to be a touch noisier than the average recurve.  After much messing around I ended up with wool puff silencers at the 1/3 points, 6 strand SBD skinny string with bow hush wraps where the string contacts the bow shooting relatively heavy 2117 aluminums with 160 gr points.  It's as quiet as any other bow in my stable now.  I has the Asbell grip that I prefer, but I shot a bunch of standard grips in Nixa and they shot fine for me too.
The price of used Widows is so high that you might want to consider just buying exactly what you want new.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
You could get one with a std grip and "build out" a grip that you like and then cover it with leather or a sure grip...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:

The price of used Widows is so high that you might want to consider just buying exactly what you want new.
something else i have learned!

never really paying much attention or know much about the widows..what is the difference in the models?  psa, pma...?

many props have gone to the psa to be a good all around bow, so thats what i hav been going off of

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
PMA has a 2" longer riser that the PSA, which has a 2" longer riser than the PCH.  You can basically go with a longer or shorter bow for your draw length with each different model.  For example at my draw (right around 30") the 62" PMA, 60" PSA and 58" PCH all felt pretty similar.  I prefer the PMA and PSA for their longer sight windows.  The PCH was fine for my draw, but the upper edge of the sight window was always in my peripheral vision...Mike

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Bruce

I've seen your "build outs" first hand.  They are dandy.  Someday you should make up a "how to" for us.

P.S. your welcome for another thing on your "to do" list.  ;p
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I have owned and sold 3 of them... I love the looks and feel of them. They also shoot very well for me. BUT!!! I never coud get them quiet enough. And I have tried everything... Black Widow says that they are no louder then other bows..that it is just the pitch of the sound. I agree  But a deer is gooing to jump alot more from a twang then it will from a thud.. IMHO..
Still I love BW PSA's and will buy another to tinker with....I've been bitten...
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©